Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Atlas Orion - is that lateral distortion normal ?
    I am a first time user of 2X Anamorphics. I have waited for the Atlas Orion B-Set for more than 9 months and was very excited when it finally came in.

Everyone on set was also very excited, until the actress saw the monitor and asked "why is my face so distorted?"

I didn't know what to say and just answered "that's because of the anamorphic effect, dont worry".

So does anyone know if that "lateral distortion" is really normal, or did I got bad lens ??
    OMG, and if it is normal, why is the distortion direction different across the lens? Its like one lens goes to the left, the other lens goes to the right, etc...

Shot on the Ursa Mini G2 at the anamorphic mode 3072x2560 and de-squeezed in Davinci Resolve at 3840x1600 (2.40:1)

https://youtu.be/9HlMYPdbKaI

2. Collapse Details
    Any “cheap” lens performing an 2x stretch is a bit of an ask. Mix in imperfect levelling and it’s gonna look wonk?

3. Collapse Details
    Not really familiar with dedicted anamorphic lenses per se a but you see similar effects when using anamorphic adapters when they are axially rotated just a fraction off vertical. In some of your examples the off axis rotation looks a fair way off. Do they have no rotational adjustment vis a vis the camera flange? I ask out of ignorance of course.

Chris Young

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Leveling was perfect.
    No rotational adjustment.
    And not exactly cheap lens, should have at least positioned the flange right...

5. Collapse Details
    Levelling does not look perfect- also needs to be parralel to walk.

Price https://cvp.com/product/ex-showroom-...hoCshQQAvD_BwE

6. Collapse Details
    Im intterested in this!. If you cant get a straight vertical down the middle your levelling is not perfect??

This YT image we can see significant distortion but the camera is completely square to the wall giving a very even fisheye effect

The fisheye effect is typical of anny lenses (its up to you if you care or not or like it think it is art. it is very normal even for cinema anamorphic wides)

I note these lenses are PL,EF,E mount clearly the back is removable and there is space for error in assembly. EF and E dont even provide a proper lock to keep the lens flat there is a load (1/2 a degree) of rotational flop on E and EF lens mounts - does this matter? probably. Im talking aobut the camera not the lens

anny.jpg
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 04-04-2021 at 06:17 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Not really familiar with dedicted anamorphic lenses per se a but you see similar effects when using anamorphic adapters when they are axially rotated just a fraction off vertical. In some of your examples the off axis rotation looks a fair way off. Do they have no rotational adjustment vis a vis the camera flange? I ask out of ignorance of course.

Chris Young
    I agree with Chris. It looks like the lens is not properly adjusted internally. I imagine you would have to get inside it and rotate the relevant element/s or, more likely, have the company do it for you. I doubt that there's any other way to fix the problem. Of course, I don't know that for certain. But, judging by the images, I feel confident that this is the problem.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deusex View Post
    Leveling was perfect.
    No rotational adjustment.
    And not exactly cheap lens, should have at least positioned the flange right...
    Very much a cheap lens I'm afraid, there is no cheaper set of professional anamorphic glass that you can buy. I've been saying this for years, but people's expectations of the Atlas anamorphics should always bear that in mind.

That said, if your tripod head was perfectly level when you took those shots, the rotational skew in the images would suggest that you have misaligned elements in the lenses (and in all three of them somehow). I would be contacting Atlas immediately with that video, and asking them what's up.

Underwhelming QC isn't unknown with these lenses, but they are widely available these days, so there's a good chance (assuming you're not in the US) that you can still get them serviced and adjusted locally. Whatever the case, make sure Atlas are paying for either the return shipping or the local corrections. All three lenses being out is ridiculous.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    . All three lenses being out is ridiculous.
    Three lenses having the exact same problem would suggest the problem is not with the lenses.

I would suggest investivation of the mount system and the mount on the camera. Unlocked EF and E certainly are I guess capable of being off up a degree or so.

10. Collapse Details
    This inquiry might be more fruitful over on Reduser. More users there familiar with both the Atlas lenses and anamorphic in general.

But is there a cautionary tale here to learn from? Try before you buy, test before day of shoot, etc.
    Big sources matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast