Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Which streaming services for $50 total - your picks?
    Rockin the Boat
    Currently I have HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, Netflix. I still find myself chafing at the paltry choices of viewing material. So I thought, what if I put a cap on how much a month I want to spend - say, $50/mo for all my streaming.

My interests are both film and TV, but I do like old films and TV shows (ďoldĒ being anything before 2000), and I find most of these services donít really do much other than the latest in any significan volume. I like a lot of the classics, and I also like - very much - international films and TV. So something like the Criterion streaming service looks very tempting. I also like documentaries and a few talk shows like Bill Maher.

What I can do without is reality TV, endless Marvel Universe spandex films, the whole Star Wars world and its many imitators, sports-related anything (live, films - anything to with sports NO THANK YOU) - not criticizng, just not my cup of tea.

So how would you structure a collection of services for $50/mo? Admittedly thatís not a lot. So if itís slightly more, fine, but I really donít want to go over into a whole Ďnother cable subscription service prices all over again. Definitely below $100/mo. Thx!

2. Collapse Details
    Definitely can recommend The Criterion Channel, they have a pretty diverse catalog of stuff to watch that updates monthly that I think is to your taste and the quality of the streams and prints is generally excellent.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    If you have a library card I can't recommend Kanopy enough.

(and if you don't have a library card I can't recommend getting one enough)

Kanopy has some good indie, international and documentary stuff.
    There is a limit to how many movies you can watch a month (set by your local library).

But... for free... it's worth it.

(I know I didn't really answer your question... but figured a free option would help stretch your $50 budget)

4. Collapse Details
    I would churn. You can have access to every streaming service catalog, just one at a time.

And I'll put in a good word for Paramount+ (formerly CBS All access). They have a lot of the Paramount catalog now. I've seen the Indiana Jones movies listed, minority report, mission impossible, godfather, etc. Paramount made a lot of good stuff

5. Collapse Details
    In the old, old days, a lawyer friend of mine got most of his entertainment via the peer-to-peer networks.

I will occasionally watch a film in Russian - most Soviet-Russian films are on YouTube legally, others are not - which is an interesting trip into the cultural/linguistic realm.

PS. For sports, ESPN+ is an inexpensive foray. It's also available as a bundle with Disney and Hulu. Paramount has the UEFA Champions League English language rights. Amazon Prime won the rights to the Thursday Nights NFL package beginning in 2023, I believe.

6. Collapse Details
    Criterion is great for movies—and I'm happy to give them my money.

You might also look into Mubi, which has a catalogue that you're unlikely to find via the other services.

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah definitely Criterion and as drboffa says - I'm glad to give them my money. But nobody beats Netflix for pumping out those serial killer docs. Sigh....

8. Collapse Details
    I just acquired a new Sony Blu Ray Ultra HD 4K. In the present political climate, I am seeing the wisdom of collecting soon to be banned pieces of plastic. If you rely only on streaming services,
    what will you do when they acquiesce to the rantings of people who want to revise and shape history for their own ends? Birth of a Nation, The Manchurian Candidate, Gone with the Wind, the list goes on and on.
    I predict these films and a good chunk of cinema will eventually become banned so I am getting ahead of the curve. I don't like my access to art being controlled by the rantings of lunatics and those who bend to their insanity.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, Netflix. I still find myself chafing at the paltry choices of viewing material.
    Wow, you must watch more TV than me, ha! I feel constantly behind with these services and unlikely to ever catch up. My back catalog of "shows & movies to watch" is just too long.

Maybe you need a PS5 or Xbox instead!

Have you seen Breaking Bad or This is Us? Polar opposite shows but plenty of content between them. I haven't seen them but if you liked Breaking Bad I guess people were into Ozark, also I heard good things about Westworld if you like the sci-fi meets Jurassic Park type vibe. Foundation is coming to AppleTV+ later this year.

Sorry, that's all new stuff. I'm too young. Indiana Jones is "old" to me (and I did just preorder the 4K box set finally come in June).

10. Collapse Details
    If you have cell service with Verizon, their top-tier unlimited data cell plan gives you Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+(even though you donít care about sports) and Apple Music for free. The Disney catalog is deep and include National Geographic Channel content. Netflix is a great storehouse for docs and old shows. Amazon Prime also has maybe all of PBSí back content. HBOMAX is great, because you not only get new movies and shows, but HBOís back catalogue of series, as well. And Iíve been on a YouTube kick, lately. Honestly, thereís too much good content available. I canít even decide what to watch some days.

And Abe brings up a good point about ďchurningĒ. The way it all works with streaming now, you donít even necessarily have to time it out to when the shows drop. Wait until after theyíve all released and binge. But I just keep waiting for them to catch on and start locking people into contracts, so they donít just subscribe for one or two months out of the year, binge everything they want to watch and drop them for 10-11 months, because all thatís going to do is make it less(or un) profitable for the networks and then the content will suffer when they have to dial it back. SOMEONE has to pay for it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast