Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Water spilling shot was nice. Katana through the paper door shot was nice.

Scorpion has the mifune energy. The other guy was the villain, so not the "main guy" in my mind

Ugh agree to disagree about the beginning up until people start getting killed. Good editing after that

2. Collapse Details
    Just to add (not responding to anything specific):

Although MK first and foremost will always be a fighting tournament, to me it's also always been a dark and sad, insufferable universe that's filled with beautifully vibrant colors and heavy contrast.

Scorpion's bright orange fire, SZ's ice cold blue, Reptile's piercing green, various shades of constant blood flow...many colors, uniforms, and tortured souls living with a variety of pain.

IMO, it should resemble more of that and not a C700 launch video.

Currently, it has very conservative, flat-like color grading. And we don't need to see 15 stops of dynamic range in the forest. Only current justification is that the intro scene is taking place in 1617 so maybe the atmospheric color choice is related to future differentiation.

Anyway that’s just my vision of MK and I’m not a big supporter of the high-key, HLG/HDR-like look...way too vanilla for stuff like this (or at least this one opening scene).

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Just to add (not responding to anything specific):

Although MK first and foremost will always be a fighting tournament, to me it's also always been a dark and sad, insufferable universe that's filled with beautifully vibrant colors and heavy contrast.

Scorpion's bright orange fire, SZ's ice cold blue, Reptile's piercing green, various shades of constant blood flow...many colors, uniforms, and tortured souls living with a variety of pain.

IMO, it should resemble more of that and not a C700 launch video.

Currently, it has very conservative, flat-like color grading. And we don't need to see 15 stops of dynamic range in the forest. Only current justification is that the intro scene is taking place in 1617 so maybe the atmospheric color choice is related to future differentiation.

Anyway that’s just my vision of MK and I’m not a big supporter of the high-key, HLG/HDR-like look...way too vanilla for stuff like this (or at least this one opening scene).
    I liked the grade. It felt peaceful. What it did for me on a narrative level was drive home the sort of Cincinnatus story with the main guy - a soldier who has tried to leave the violence behind and settle down in the country with a family. And just the beauty of the forest. I wonder if your reaction to it is cultural as well? As in we may have different cultural reference points than a Japanese or Chinese audience. Anyway, it seems from the blitz of imagery at the end that the strong color palettes and contrast you seek are coming in the rest of the film.

You know the story much better than me and take it much more seriously too haha. That probably gives me much looser expectations
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

4. Collapse Details
    haha...when I have the opportunity to criticize a film I'll take it because I rarely do as I have pretty much enjoyed every movie I have ever seen.

Even if it's not the best I think, "Well, making movies is difficult and that was their vision and that's what they decided."

But there's only one way for MK. lol

5. Collapse Details
    I really don't like the subtle grading, and I think that bokeh is so distracting in the beginning (that's obviously not the camera).

I thought the editing was perfectly fine though. And some of the shots are really awesome (like the slow-motion water spilling out of the buckets as he runs away from the camera which is dollying backwards).

Two main guys there; Scorpion and Sub-Zero.
    As it should be. Scorpion has really become the face of the franchise, so to speak and the two characters are just so intertwined. They were nothing more than "a splash of color" in the original movie. In the earlier games, Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile(when he became playable in MK2) were my fav's. In the last two, MKX/XL and MK11, Scorpion is the only character I use(he's a beast in MKX/XL). He's just such a stone-cold badass.

6. Collapse Details
    haha...when I have the opportunity to criticize a film I'll take it because I rarely do as I have pretty much enjoyed every movie I have ever seen.

Even if it's not the best I think, "Well, making movies is difficult and that was their vision and that's what they decided."

But there's only one way for MK. lol
    You can give respect to someone's skill and hard work while still thinking they made wrong choices. You don't even need to know what the right choices were, just that you didn't like the ones they made. I mean, the general audience (which is, thankfully, tons of people who know little or nothing about filmmaking because otherwise there'd be very little audience to speak of) - they generally have no compunctions about criticizing films, especially on a story/character/plot level which really requires no technical background to understand. That being said, I think you're being nice to the filmmakers and I appreciate that.

And I'm certainly the same way in terms of having specific needs for something I'm very attached to. Like how jj Abrams royally screwed up both star wars and star trek for me. Dont get me started on that again.

But yeah in general I feel like people can get their "vision" out there but it doesnt mean their vision doesn't suck. BR2049 made a much smaller emotional impact on me than the OG BR. I consider that to be a failing in objective terms. And I mean...just the difference between needing to test someone's empathy to find out if they're a replicant vs having to look under their eyeball.... one is so much more interesting than the other. No contest.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    As it should be. Scorpion has really become the face of the franchise, so to speak and the two characters are just so intertwined. They were nothing more than "a splash of color" in the original movie. In the earlier games, Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile(when he became playable in MK2) were my fav's. In the last two, MKX/XL and MK11, Scorpion is the only character I use(he's a beast in MKX/XL). He's just such a stone-cold badass.
    MK II.jpg

8. Collapse Details
    Just watched the MK opening video, and I have to agree that visually the grade looks a little flat and gray, at least toward the beginning... almost like ungraded camera footage with just the LUT on it. It starts to look more visually interesting once the blood literally starts flowing. Assuming it was an intentional look they were going for, but I would have like to have seen a little more contrast / blacks.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by agcohn View Post
    Just watched the MK opening video, and I have to agree that visually the grade looks a little flat and gray, at least toward the beginning... almost like ungraded camera footage with just the LUT on it. It starts to look more visually interesting once the blood literally starts flowing. Assuming it was an intentional look they were going for, but I would have like to have seen a little more contrast / blacks.
    just reminds me of them japanese landscapes/watercolors

Hashimoto-Gaho.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 3.47.23 PM.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Without confirming the cultural aspect question in your post above, that's pretty much what I alluded to with the C700 launch comment.

All of their camera promo videos usually have a similar look.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast