Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 652
  1. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Re:28-135, one annoying thing about it is that the zoom is automatically feathered when you manually zoom it. Which is sort of a good thing. But I was using it on tuesday and it made it hard to do quick manual zooms. If you stop zooming when you hit your frame, it will continue to zoom past that and feather to a stop. You have to stop zooming early and predict where it's going to land. Kind of maddening
    Dont think the feathering is automatic or a "feature " its just because fly by wire .. you do get used not after a while and can judge where it will stop .. not ideal of course ..


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
    I also hate that the iris isn’t truly manual. So sometimes you’ll open to F4 and later realize it stopped at like 5.6. So you have to re rack it so that the electronics recognize that you want it open. Also, no manual zoom sucks if you need crash zooms for scrum style stuff.

    Eh that has never once happened on my zoom.. if you have it set to A on the barrel then any knob / buttons you have set for Iris will change it of course ..if I set it to 4 or 5.6 etc it has never stopped before getting there, or moved from that setting .. user error of faulty lens ?.. its a $2,500 electronic FF zoom .. Im not sure what you guys expect for that price .. spend the bucks and get a CN7 or Fujinon .. it is what it is ..


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    102
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Eh that has never once happened on my zoom.. if you have it set to A on the barrel then any knob / buttons you have set for Iris will change it of course ..if I set it to 4 or 5.6 etc it has never stopped before getting there, or moved from that setting .. user error of faulty lens ?.. its a $2,500 electronic FF zoom .. Im not sure what you guys expect for that price .. spend the bucks and get a CN7 or Fujinon .. it is what it is ..
    Indeed. Serviceable lens for $2500. Perfect? Nope.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Eh that has never once happened on my zoom.. if you have it set to A on the barrel then any knob / buttons you have set for Iris will change it of course ..if I set it to 4 or 5.6 etc it has never stopped before getting there, or moved from that setting .. user error of faulty lens ?.. its a $2,500 electronic FF zoom .. Im not sure what you guys expect for that price .. spend the bucks and get a CN7 or Fujinon .. it is what it is ..

    Lol. I own the 20-120 and use the 17-120 as well. Those aren’t the lenses we’re talking about. Those are both S35 so apples and oranges as well. I don’t get your argument there. Because these cine zooms exist we can’t have gripes about other lenses? Got it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,728
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Dont think the feathering is automatic or a "feature " its just because fly by wire .. you do get used not after a while and can judge where it will stop .. not ideal of course ..
    If it were just an aspect of fly by wire, wouldn't the zoom come to an abrupt stop in the same manner as the hand movement? Rather than feathering out? Seems intentional. I'd buy the lens again, dont get me wrong. Just making a note of it


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    If it were just an aspect of fly by wire, wouldn't the zoom come to an abrupt stop in the same manner as the hand movement? Rather than feathering out? Seems intentional. I'd buy the lens again, dont get me wrong. Just making a note of it
    A true cine zoom will the one that comes to a hard stop , the 28-135 ,its just the nature of fly by wire in manual mode .. its certainly not a "feature " that Sony have supplied from the goodness of their heart on a $2.5K lens


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
    Lol. I own the 20-120 and use the 17-120 as well. Those aren’t the lenses we’re talking about. Those are both S35 so apples and oranges as well. I don’t get your argument there. Because these cine zooms exist we can’t have gripes about other lenses? Got it.

    Nothing to do with s35 or FF , but all about the price .. yes no complaints about those lenses , drum roll .. because they cost a lot more ! .. thats my pretty obvious point .. is a $2,500 FF /AF zoom lens ,with a sort of manual focus .. it is what its is .. and Ive never had the iris changing like you state ..I think you must have turned it to the A setting .. there seem to be very high expectations for this very very cheap lens which for the price is amazingly good .. you dont get that argument ?


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Nothing to do with s35 or FF , but all about the price .. yes no complaints about those lenses , drum roll .. because they cost a lot more ! .. thats my pretty obvious point .. is a $2,500 FF /AF zoom lens ,with a sort of manual focus .. it is what its is .. and Ive never had the iris changing like you state ..I think you must have turned it to the A setting .. there seem to be very high expectations for this very very cheap lens which for the price is amazingly good .. you dont get that argument ?
    I have complaints about the expensive lenses too. Your argument has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. No one is saying the kit lens needs to be perfect, but we are stating the gripes we have with it. The $23000 lens ramps as you zoom. The $13000 isn’t wide enough on the wide and has a terrible minimum focus distance. Cost has nothing to do with things that piss us off about gear…


    If someone asks, “how do you like the 28-135?” I’m not going to tell them it’s amazing cause it’s $2500. I have to list what it’s flaws are so that the person can make an informed decision right? I own one and use it all the time, but it has downsides that may not work for other users. If we based everything on price then I’d recommend $50 Chinese lenses to everyone. Never mind the horrible CA and blur wide open. It’s $50 why complain!?
    Last edited by Newsguy; 06-12-2021 at 08:33 AM.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
    I have complaints about the expensive lenses too. Your argument has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. No one is saying the kit lens needs to be perfect, but we are stating the gripes we have with it. The $23000 lens ramps as you zoom. The $13000 isn’t wide enough on the wide and has a terrible minimum focus distance. Cost has nothing to do with things that piss us off about gear…


    If someone asks, “how do you like the 28-135?” I’m not going to tell them it’s amazing cause it’s $2500. I have to list what it’s flaws are so that the person can make an informed decision right? I own one and use it all the time, but it has downsides that may not work for other users. If we based everything on price then I’d recommend $50 Chinese lenses to everyone. Never mind the horrible CA and blur wide open. It’s $50 why complain!?
    Fair points .. I stand corrected sir ..


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Fair points .. I stand corrected sir ..
    Hey, Iím just complaining about gear, no argument from me lol. I do use the 28-135 a lot more lately on the FX6. The weight balances well with a V or gold mount on the back when shoulder mounted. The F4 speed is also not an issue as the high base is 12,000 😳 Even in S-cinetone I believe itís 5000 on high base, so the lens is very versatile for that little camera. The other feature I love about that lens, and these new cine lenses Sony is working on, is the ring push for AF. For certain types of man on the street stuff I focus manually and will push it forward once Iím tight on a person just to be sure the eye is sharp. Unfortunately, based on that 16-35, it seems like these new cine lenses will be in that 5-6k range.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •