Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Build quality and color are fine for lights this low priced.
    I have Mole Richardson lights that are over 40 years old.
    These will not see that lifespan, but then I see these are more of an expendable that a lifetime light.

2. Collapse Details
    I've been using the Godox now for about 8 months and I can say, I think they are built a bit better than MY Aputures, which are all older Lightstorm LS-1s. I think they upped the build quality a bit on the newest Aputure COBs but they cost significantly more money than the equivalent output Godox and are not considerably better or better built. Just my .02.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    I have the Godox vl300 and aputure c300 ii.
    Aputure is better built, especially the power supply, much better.
    The Godox controller and power brick are plasticky and frankly a bit embarrassing.
    The plastic hanging cord and the stupid power brick strap that doesn't fit because the straps block the cords are the worst offenders.
    Is it worth it? I don't know, but they are definitely not the same quality.
    The only thing better on the Godox is the bowens latch and the price.

4. Collapse Details
    Travel is a major part of my business, though Covid has curtailed things are picking up and as Willy sings... I am on the road again. I have bi colour flat panels and roll up lights and a dozen or more smaller led panels of various sizes with blow up soft boxes and diffusers, ring lights and damn, I still have three of the original "COOLIGHTS" many on DVXUser bought to support a member. But none, of these travel as well and provide the punch be it soft or hard that my old Lowel Rifas and Lowel Tota with a chimera.
    That being said, and what I have read, I just ordered a Godox VL150 for my next road trip in two weeks. Got a parabolic soft box and 40 degree cut. I also have a Dracast Boltray 600 plus bi-colour with a small soft box that will travel with the VL150. Not sure how many interviews I will be doing indoors, so these are a rainy day backups.
    Now if someone could come up with an LED Rifa....
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony FX-6 - Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Rokinon AF 18mm F2.8, AF 50mm F1.4
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    DJI Mavic Mini
    Konovas motorized slider kit.
    Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMurphy View Post
    Travel is a major part of my business, though Covid has curtailed things are picking up and as Willy sings... I am on the road again. I have bi colour flat panels and roll up lights and a dozen or more smaller led panels of various sizes with blow up soft boxes and diffusers, ring lights and damn, I still have three of the original "COOLIGHTS" many on DVXUser bought to support a member. But none, of these travel as well and provide the punch be it soft or hard that my old Lowel Rifas and Lowel Tota with a chimera.
    That being said, and what I have read, I just ordered a Godox VL150 for my next road trip in two weeks. Got a parabolic soft box and 40 degree cut. I also have a Dracast Boltray 600 plus bi-colour with a small soft box that will travel with the VL150. Not sure how many interviews I will be doing indoors, so these are a rainy day backups.
    Now if someone could come up with an LED Rifa....
    I feel this so much

FWIW I made a quasi-LED RIFA using a RIFA-EX88 with the FLO-X3 module and 3x 40W Bonlux corn-cob LEDs wrapped in minus green. Pretty decent output, though not necessarily great color and not that great for travel.

So badly wanted one of the cob and umbrella softbox solutions to be the new rifa, but none are yet.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    In wanting an LED Rifa equivalent, is your issue with current solutions portability, light quality, cost, or something else?
    Mitch Gross
    Prolycht Lighting
    NYC

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    In wanting an LED Rifa equivalent, is your issue with current solutions portability, light quality, cost, or something else?
    Market research...? ; )

I'd say there is definitely a market for a Rifa knock-off / LED(COB inside a soft box) that QUICKLY(no assembly) folds up/deploys into at least a 1x1(preferably bigger) and is bi-color(color tunable from maybe 2700K to 6000-10,000K).

8. Collapse Details
    Damn skippy

All it would really take is the edison EX module paired with a decent quality edison-base bulb with oomph... say, like the Aputure B7c but with some balls to it.

Lights like this have the output, but the color quality blows:
    https://www.amazon.com/DragonLight-S.../dp/B08DY1SDR1

Could easily retrofit not just RIFA-EX's, but all those cheap-as-f CFL bulb softboxes

Screw it... I'm starting a company. Should have no problems sourcing computer chips with the new semiconductor factory fire in China, right?
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

9. Collapse Details
    "In wanting an LED Rifa equivalent, is your issue with current solutions portability, light quality, cost, or something else?"

Short answer yes. But seriously portability and light quality/volume for lack of a better term. The Rifa and Tota with a Chimera are easy to pack and lightweight, fast to set up.
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony FX-6 - Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Rokinon AF 18mm F2.8, AF 50mm F1.4
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    DJI Mavic Mini
    Konovas motorized slider kit.
    Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

10. Collapse Details
    I had a shoot cancel 2 weeks ago, so I cleared the load out and got ready for a 3 day weekend.
    Saturday morning rolls around and I get a message that the shoot is back on, but in a much more scaled back fashion.
    I still have my Sprinter van, but thought I would use my wife's Subaru Forrester on this hour long each way drive to navigate the traffic headed to the lake.
    Well her weekend plans changed, and her vehicle became unavailable. What a wonderful opportunity to see what will fit into my smaller car.

At some point I will retire and sell my Sprinter van. When that happens I still want to do be able to do smaller projects, supported by gear which fits into a car.
    So I would be loosing the ability to carry al my 6x6, 8x8, 12x12 sets, Junior size gear, well basically the majority of my grip and support package. But hay, it's no fun trying to setup a large overhead by yourself.
    The producer on this shoot was riding with me, so space was even more limited. I have a smaller front trunk area since my car is all wheel drive, and space in the back seat area.
    I could have packed the car with more gear, but went easy this time. In the front trunk a pair of 150w Godox LED's, Stinger & power-strip.
    In the back seat area with the seat backs folded down, a pair of pop-up soft boxes, Tripod w/head, a pair of lightweight light stands, Lowepro ProTactic 450 AW II Backpack carrying audio & video gear, and a small sound bag.

Had the producer not been riding with me, I could have added a couple more LED lights with soft boxes, stands and stingers, makeup kit, C-Stand & Boompole with cable, sandbag, pocket dolly, different lens set, prompter.

In the end everyone was happy, and we had a fun time on the drive there and back.
    At any rate, I think future small shoots can be done using something utterly ridiculous as the gear hauler.

Best!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast