1. Collapse Details
    HC-X1000 - Faulty DC?
    Question
    Hi Everyone, hoping someone can help me here, it takes a bit of explaining so hopefully you can follow.

I'm thinking of selling my HC-X1000 - it has only 94 hours runtime and spent a couple of years sat, very carefully, stored away in a cupboard when I went travelling. It's in immaculate condition.

Anyway, I thought I'd better test everything was working as expected before I put it up for sale (I have never had any issues with this camera before). However, upon testing the mains adapter, the camera didn't seem to power on. I've never used the mains adapter really, always used batteries, so this could have always been an issue and I've never noticed.

I thought it must be the adapter, so I tested it with a multimeter and it is outputting the required 12v. So it's not that - it must be the camera.

This is when things got weird....

When I powered it on WITH the battery, it detected the DC power. The battery symbol vanishes from the display to indicate this.
    I could then remove the battery with no problem and the camera remains powered on using the mains power.
    If I then powered it off (with the battery still removed) - I couldn't power it back on. It sort of tries to power itself on, but just turns on and off repeatedly, the power LED blinks slowly and gets quicker and quicker until it doesn't turn on at all. Sort of like when you drop a ball, the time between each bounce gets less and less until it just stops bouncing. It's as if the camera is using up some kind of residual power from a transformer.

When I put the battery back in, with DC connected, it powered itself on straight away. Then, I left it for a while and hey presto - things started working as expected again - I could turn it on and off just using DC power.

Or so I thought..... it's now back to not recognising the DC power at all.

There is clearly something wrong with it. I see my options as follows:
    - Send it off for repair, where I imagine it is likely to cost in the region of 300 upwards
    - Try to fix it myself
    - Sell it as faulty

So, if I attempt to fix it myself, does anyone know what the fault might be? Or do you think cut my losses and sell it as faulty? It still works just fine with battery power, but I imagine I will lose a lot on it.

Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long!

2. Collapse Details
    Leave the camera charging for 24 hours and then try operating it in various ways again and see if anything has changed.

If nothing (and it's not some internal battery that you could swap issue and something more complex), I'd cut my losses.

Might be a hard sale as it is and if you drop the price several hundred dollars below eBay's general asking and make the situation clear, might actually sell faster (versus the hassle of sending it away to get it fixed).

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Leave the camera charging for 24 hours and then try operating it in various ways again and see if anything has changed.

If nothing (and it's not some internal battery that you could swap issue and something more complex), I'd cut my losses.

Might be a hard sale as it is and if you drop the price several hundred dollars below eBay's general asking and make the situation clear, might actually sell faster (versus the hassle of sending it away to get it fixed).
    Thanks for the response, I think you're right. I'll give it a go and see what happens. There is a small lithium iron battery inside the camera, but I thought that was only for maintaining date/time (which is still correct!). It might have something to do with this, but who knows.

4. Collapse Details
    So, not one to be defeated, I went online and found the service manual to take a closer look at things. Managed to extract the DC jack board and test it with a multimeter. It was outputting 12v too, so it's not simply a faulty jack.

The lithium battery is buried quite far inside and there are a fair few stages to accessing it. I've contacted a couple of repair centres to see if they can advise/supply parts before I go any further.

Not that anyone really cares, but I'll update with progress in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future :p

5. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't recommend repairing it yourself, it's easy to make things worse. I'd eat the cost of a professional repair to make it saleable. Either that or sell it to someone who repairs and resells cameras for a living.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Peter! I repair things as part of my day job. Usually laptops and computers, so this kind of stuff doesn't bother me, I have the correct tools and as I say, there is a full service manual available online, with each step to disassembly detailed.