Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Midnight Sky - Netflix
    I was looking forward to this, a decent Sci-Fi yarn with a good cast. For me, it is best described as a mess.

The story wandered, the editing was awkward and there were the usual predictable events. I felt sorry for the cast in this mess.
    I get the feeling the editing was under strict instructions or perhaps he had no other material to play with.

Disappointing

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Clooney directed as well as starred

3. Collapse Details
    Awful film.
    Mitch Gross
    Prolycht Lighting
    NYC

4. Collapse Details
    ^ I'm with you Mitch. It has stuck with me - for all the wrong reasons...
    I felt like I needed to have read the book - or some kind of backstory - to learn more about all the characters & perhaps even more about the plot. The story meandered - and felt like we suddenly just lost Clooney's character and the girl to suddenly follow the astronauts about midway thru...and I just never got a real sense I wanted to know more about them or him either. Also, {spoiler alert}, I was concerned early on about certain things with the child not seeming to be plausible or believable... and so the pay-off wasn't as big of a pay off.
    I'm usually a Clooney fan... this one disappointed.

5. Collapse Details
    I had no expectations for this, but I actually enjoyed it for what it was. I just thought that the mission commander allowed his crew to take too many risks once it was clear that the Earth was dying, such as returning to Earth in one of the 2 remaining shuttles, but then there wasn't anybody to hold them accountable at that point. It just seemed that with the bad luck they had experienced so far on the return mission, there didn't seem to be much chance for the 2 remaining crew members and their baby on the return trip to Jupiter.

I mean it's not a great or even really a good movie, but it's certainly not a complete mess. It's a basic 2.5 out of 5 star movie, which still qualifies as watchable in my opinion depending on the subject matter / cast, which I enjoyed in this case. I certainly enjoyed it more than the recent "Ad Astra", which felt a lot more unrealistic and lifeless to me than "Midnight Sky".
    Last edited by agcohn; 01-05-2021 at 02:53 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    I thought it was so so. It was done with enough craft that I can't call it awful, and I can watch just about anything with spaceships in it and not be totally bored, but it was a bit mopey and drawn out. They should have added a scene after the credits where they tell their kids on Jupiter that repopulating the species is going to get a little weird.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I can watch just about anything with spaceships in it and not be totally bored, .
    Amen

8. Collapse Details
    Worst piece of crap I've suffered through in a long time, and I am a big Clooney fan. It would take too much time to point out all the flaws in the story, suffice it to say it was just plain stupid and caters to the dumbest viewers who just want eye candy. I happened to re-watch The Descendants over the weekend and if you want to see a fantastic film that will restore your faith in Clooney, watch it again for the first time.

9. Collapse Details
    I can never listen to Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" again!

10. Collapse Details
    I probably won't watch Midnight Sky but it entertained me in one way - this amusing thread of put-downs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast