Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My computer is slower than before. What to do?
    My computer just isn't as fast as it once was running Premiere Pro CS6. My computer does a frequent "cycling" / "throttling" I'm not sure what to call it but the fans clearly kick up and down in speed frequently and they didn't use to do that. I did recently replace the rear fan with a new one in push/pull config on my 120mm cooler. It's not running hot according to coretemp (around 52 C with all cores at 100% during 3ds Max renders). But Premiere is sluggish and there is delay clicking and selecting and moving things quite a bit, especially when using TGA sequences and DJI 4K UHD footage. I've been editing using TGA sequences since I bought it and DJI footage since 2016 and I'm sure it handles it worse than before. I'm not sure where to even start so I'm asking here since you guys do video. All my drives are SSD and configured according to this thread.
    My CPU runs at 3501.57 MHz.
    i7 3930K 6 core
    I am running WIN 7 Pro 64.
    MB is ASUS P9X79 Pro
    64GB RAM
    3GB GTX 780
    Matrox MX02 mini w/max
    My case is a HAF-X with some massive fans that moves a ton of air. Even when my original rear cooler fan failed a while back the other fans still moved so much air it ran

The system was new in 2013 and not long afterward I used Acronis Disk director on my main C: to adjust the main partition after I hardware cloned my C: SSD to a larger C: SSD. I have always wondered if that adversely affected performance.
    One of my SSD is running Samsung Magician. All 5 my SSD are Samsung EVO.
    Do I have too many SSD? Is that bottlenecking?

C: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Boot
    L: Samsung 860 EVO 4TB Media
    M: Samsung 860 EVO 4TB Export
    N: Samsung 860 EVO 4TB Media
    O: Samsung EVO 1TB Media
    S: drive - scratch (is a mandatory partition of C after cloning original drive to larger drive so ignore it)
    D DVD drive
    E Blu-ray drive

Not long ago I added this Add in card because my old MB was limited on SSD speed for some of the SSD connections and this add in card gave me the ability to run all SSD at full bandwidth plus even add another ( O:/ drive) .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-LSI...0AAOSw8PpdOUrs

Any suggestions are appreciated as I can't take this computer to a shop, they won't know what to do, so I'll have to try things step by step to hopefully get it running better.
    Last edited by firehawk; 11-11-2020 at 10:09 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Any suggestions are appreciated as I can't take this computer to a shop, they won't know what to do, so I'll have to try things step by step to hopefully get it running better.
    I hope you receive some good suggestions, but your final thought there is really all that you can do as it's really difficult to troubleshoot remotely with so much going on with your system.

It could be a number of things from the new fan to a plugin to a software FW update not playing well with older hardware, etc.

___

Although I will mention this...

Something happened to my FCP X and MBP where it's now impossible to get anything done with SSDs via USB (how I always used them).

I haven't looked into it too much as I usually edit very small projects on the internal drive, but when I want to grab an extra clip or element from a SSD while FCP X is open and import it into the NLE, the pinwheel is constantly spinning. But if I drop whatever I need onto the desktop while FCP X is closed and then try to import it it's blazing fast as usual.

Maybe something happened with your SSD configurations like with mine (even though we're using different software and different computer companies), but I don't know what that would be.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm no computer guru by any means, and it doesn't sound like it was a variable, but looking at your list of hardware, the 3GB GTX 780 certainly looks like a weak spot in the list.

Good luck!

4. Collapse Details
    100% of my computer problems are caused by software. What else you got running on that thing? What did you install recently?

Did you install antivirus or security software? That stuff is the worst! (Yes, I'm serious.)

Did you upgrade Windows? You never know what Microsoft will do, even in a "minor" update.

When your computer is running slow, and the fans are kicking in, open the Task Manager, and sort by CPU usage.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Have you ever pulled the CPU heatsink and cleaned/replaced the thermal compound? It is old enough that you may have a very poor "connection" between heatsink and CPU now. If you are now having increased fan problems, and you didn't have these recently, then check this first. If you RAM has heatsinks clamped to the chips, that could be another problem. Check the power supply as well, itmight be getting to the point where everything is drawing more power and causing an issue.

There are several things on the mainboard that could also be causing issues, electrolytic capacitors go bad, normally the tops get a dome on them. This draws more power, and can reduce voltage to devices. Both of these can cause issues with performance.

Also SSD go bad, especially the TLC and QLC drives. I'm not familiar with that LSI card, but I've used several older cards in the past, Avid uses LSI cards in their servers which should tell you something.

Just another FYI, ditch the Matrox MX02 and retest, we had nothing but problems when I was trying to get my MX02 working, and nothing but run around from Matrox during all of that. Even after that, stupid me bought their stream encoder, and as I should have predicted, it was nothing but lies from support. I found my original complaint detailed in a firmware readme about two years later as a "known issue", even though they couldn't admit to it as a problem back when still had warranty.

If you have the "update" that allowed you to upgrade to Win10, I'd do it. Then you could put in a fresh SSD for the system drive, and put a fresh install of win10 on the machine using the product key from your old win7. Even using something like Clonezilla to copy your boot drive, and put the copy back onto the drive might help.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I had a problem with Davinci Resolve, slow rendering, a new NVIDIA driver helped. So you may need to check your drivers.

7. Collapse Details
    Thank everyone. I realized I left out info that might be useful.

Still running Win7 Pro since new (2013) with no updates.

The Matrox MX02 mini/max has been in it since the first week.

The SSDs have all been recently changed and the oldest one (C: ) is only maybe 3 years old.

No anti-virus being used.

I don't think I've ever updated my GPU driver. If I did, it has been a long time.

I have been thinking of changing the GTX 780 to something better for around a year but since I am running old software the newer cards don't support some of the functions of the old ones. I have thought of getting the old 6GB Titan from the same era but changing GPU will likely break my 3ds Max license which is not a problem yet on my 2020 version but is a problem re-installing my older versions since I do not have installers anymore.

My thermal paste has not been touched since I bought the PC. I actually want to swap CPU with an overclocked XEON that is compatible but due to my design I have to remove the entire MB to do it, plus it will almost certainly break my 3ds Max license and seems not worth the effort/risk for a small gain.

My PSU is a Corsair 850 (also 2013). I wonder if when I added the extra push-pull fan I plugged it into the closest fan socket I could find. Maybe something controlling it on the board is making it frequently change speeds?

Yeah software could be the culprit. I am going to have to look close to see what the latest software I installed was. I think it's CrystalDiskinfo and coretemp which I have been using to monitor things. And V-ray 4 for 3ds Max. Don't think I've installed anything else in a long while but I'll check

8. Collapse Details
    Did you look at your process list to see what’s running and resources being consumed?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Have you ever pulled the CPU heatsink and cleaned/replaced the thermal compound? It is old enough that you may have a very poor "connection" between heatsink and CPU now. If you are now having increased fan problems, and you didn't have these recently, then check this first. If you RAM has heatsinks clamped to the chips, that could be another problem. Check the power supply as well, itmight be getting to the point where everything is drawing more power and causing an issue.
    There was a brief point where the fan on my cooler failed and my CPU got up to 90C under a heavy test load before I realized the fan quit. Soon afterward I replaced the fan with 2 in a push-pull. Is it possible the thermal compound got "cooked"? Or my CPU got "cooked"? Ever since then my CPU never runs hot even under 100% load during long renders.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J Michael View Post
    Did you look at your process list to see what’s running and resources being consumed?
    processes.jpg
    Here is process list when Premiere CS6 is running.
    The list was too long to put on one screen so I pasted it over to the side

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast