Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. Collapse Details
    #31
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,348
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I actually have the predecessor to the flow tech (which has a design flaw with the locking mechanism). I still love it and use it. By expensive, I mean I have many pieces of equipment. I've found it better to have more tools than just one really expensive. For example I must have 5 different tripods. One has a center column that allows me to get up really high over people's heads, another as a lock light lock off, another with a good smooth pro head, etc. So If I only had one camera and tripod that I used exclusively yeah I wouldn't care about the price. One other thing I don't care for is the non cylindrical legs. I often need to mount a Atomos monitor on a magic arm that gets clamped to the legs.
    I have a buddy with a few sets of the Vinten Fibertecs. Several years ago, Vitnen actually tried to buy his original set back from him.

    I wish I could have gotten a set way back then, but they were not cheap and I couldn't justify buying them at the time when my Pozi-Locks were still working. And they were only available for a very short time. They cost Vinten a ton to manufacture.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #32
    Senior Member Peter C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    535
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I have a buddy with a few sets of the Vinten Fibertecs. Several years ago, Vitnen actually tried to buy his original set back from him.

    I wish I could have gotten a set way back then, but they were not cheap and I couldn't justify buying them at the time when my Pozi-Locks were still working. And they were only available for a very short time. They cost Vinten a ton to manufacture.
    I'm referring to the Sachter speed locks. So you have one lever locks/unlocks both stages. The cam/shaft wears or starts to twist, then the legs in the lock position can suddenly give out without notice. I tried shimming them that helps but then the second stage sticks and won't deploy. The only fix is to order and install new cam at over a hundred a pop. I've done it for one leg but need to do it for the other, I've noticed second starting to slip I should order a new cam before it acts up on a job. Otherwise I love it light, rigid and quick to deploy.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #33
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,348
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I'm referring to the Sachter speed locks. So you have one lever locks/unlocks both stages. The cam/shaft wears or starts to twist, then the legs in the lock position can suddenly give out without notice. I tried shimming them that helps but then the second stage sticks and won't deploy. The only fix is to order and install new cam at over a hundred a pop. I've done it for one leg but need to do it for the other, I've noticed second starting to slip I should order a new cam before it acts up on a job. Otherwise I love it light, rigid and quick to deploy.
    Ah. I thought you were referring to the real forerunner, the Fibertec's.

    As much as I love my Speedlock's, they feel glacial in comparison when deploying them. But compared to Gitzo's or other similar style legs, the Speedlock's feel like Flowtech's.

    I've had one leg/stage on my HD set slip some, but it's the nut on the clamping mechanism loosening. I can tighten it back down and it's fine. I probably just need to put some Loctite on it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #34
    Default
    Adorama's deal of the day has the Flowtech 75 + FSB8T head for $1999. That's what it normally costs to get the 75 sticks with the ACE XL head, which is nowhere near as nice as the FSB8T. Though, the latter is also not amazing. I prefer my old O'Connor 515 by a large margin. Still, this is a great deal for a new head and sticks.

    https://www.adorama.com/sc0795.html


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #35
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,590
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Adorama's deal of the day has the Flowtech 75 + FSB8T head for $1999. That's what it normally costs to get the 75 sticks with the ACE XL head, which is nowhere near as nice as the FSB8T. Though, the latter is also not amazing. I prefer my old O'Connor 515 by a large margin. Still, this is a great deal for a new head and sticks.

    https://www.adorama.com/sc0795.html
    interesting, that product is no longer available at B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...?fromDisList=y

    they must be clearing stock


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,772
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    interesting, that product is no longer available at B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...?fromDisList=y

    they must be clearing stock
    Yeah, I think they must want the aktiv(6/8/10) line of fluid heads to become more standard.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #37
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Yeah, I think they must want the aktiv(6/8/10) line of fluid heads to become more standard.
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'll wait until there is a group buy on the Aktiv 8. I have the 75 flowtechs already but need to sell of the ACE CL head that came with mine. I'm in no rush though as I already have better 100mm heads for most of my work. I just really want a fast deploy setup that is fairly lightweight for speedy doc situations. My miller setup is not fast, and once there is a bunch of weight on it, those twist locks are a total PITA.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,772
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'll wait until there is a group buy on the Aktiv 8. I have the 75 flowtechs already but need to sell of the ACE CL head that came with mine. I'm in no rush though as I already have better 100mm heads for most of my work. I just really want a fast deploy setup that is fairly lightweight for speedy doc situations. My miller setup is not fast, and once there is a bunch of weight on it, those twist locks are a total PITA.
    I plan to get a flowtech 75 with aktiv8 head, a well-timed group buy sounds like the way to go. It'd be great to see some long term aktiv reviews too.

    I'm still using a miller AIR which is fine unless you plan on moving the camera or the moves are extremely basic. I've been hiring better fluid heads when needed but would rather own, particularly such a basic piece of gear.

    Not needing to thread the fluid head and instantly going from tripod/slider/jib would be amazing.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #39
    Senior Member Peter C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    535
    Default
    I missed that deal by 2hrs and 7 months. Odd combo 75mm bowl with FSB 8 head.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    9,600
    Default
    Head is 75mm as well.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •