Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What's the best way to edit over jump cutting in interview footage?
    I have a documentary style project that I would like to edit, but it's news clips of interviews.

I am guessing it's best to avoid jump cutting if I want to skip ahead in the interview. I watched how the news does it for research and I noticed how some news shows will do a 'flash to white' over the cut, or they will do a keyframe to overexpose the footage to white, then expose the footage back down to normal, and we see that they have cut ahead.

There is also one that goes out of focus during the cut I saw, then goes back into focus, to avoid jump cutting. Or I could just do a simple dissolve, and that's it. These are all from different news shots to avoid jump cutting, but does one way look better than the others, out of curiosity, of other people's opinions?

2. Collapse Details
    Jump cuts are fine and sometimes even more desired in the current age.

There are literally hundreds of transitions out there; choose one that works best for you and your content. Modern NLEs have over 50 built-in.

Some sort of 'flash' as you mentioned above is usually most universal.

3. Collapse Details
    Oh okay. Well my personal taste is either just a straight dissolve or a flash to white. I could actually show the jump cut but I never see this done on the news with news footage.

For example, in this news clip here, at 0:49 into the clip, their is a jump cut, which they do the flash to white. There is also another flash to white they do to hide a jump cut at 1:33:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJYAwGqGKTs&t=50s

But if jump cuts are acceptable, then why didn't they just jump cut it?

4. Collapse Details
    Because major TV news has a stable style of presenting its information which hasn't really changed in 50+ years.

You probably don't watch too much YouTube or Instagram (or maybe you do, IDK), but I would say over 90% of the presentation style these days includes a variety of jump cuts.

In the example above, they also used the flash transition to serve as an easy edit (since the dialogue was probably cut up), and/or a time sponge to indicate to viewers what was said next was later in the speech.

In that kind of content in which it's not really meant to be creative or it's more serious, it's better to use a transition because the jump cut will most likely look like an error to people. When the presentation style is more rapid and more jump cuts occur, the brain adjusts.

5. Collapse Details
    Oh okay but since I am editing news type interviews, if it would come across as an error if you jump cut on the news, then wouldn't it come across as an error if I do it therefore?

Yes I've seen youtube where people do it, but is it more acceptable in people's videos on youtube compared to news footage therefore?

6. Collapse Details
    If the news footage is somber, I'd avoid jump cuts...if it's fun and more like a "Daily Show" vibe, it definitely can work for TV or YouTube.

Talent matters too.

I would need to see the edit to provide any more meaningful feedback (or anyone else).

7. Collapse Details
    A cutaway is the most natural-looking way to hide a cut.

When an interview cuts to a photograph, B-roll, the interviewer, or some other thing that doesn't show the interviewee's mouth, there's a good chance that it's for more than just illustration or dramatic effect. Often there is a jump cut hiding underneath.

Of course, having something to cut to is a whole other subject, and much more work than just flashing to white or something

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Oh okay, yes I can use cutaways in some parts. But if it's like those examples, where I don't want to use a cutaway all the time, which type of transition looks the best if it's cutting ahead in news interviews? In know it's personal taste, but in your opinion also, does one look the best over the others?

9. Collapse Details
    You could try a smooth-cut transition or you could zoom into the clip following the cut, so that it looks like you cut to a telephoto camera angle; this method works best when your acquisition format is higher resolution than your delivery format.

10. Collapse Details
    Oh okay thanks. I use Premiere Pro for editing so far, but could try Da Vinci Resolve. So a smooth cut transition works the same way frame interpolation works then?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast