Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I’ll look into this and see if I can find some 10bit 422 hevc footage to compare!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Thanks, I’ll look into this and see if I can find some 10bit 422 hevc footage to compare!
    There are some Canon R5 10bit 422 H265 footage here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskTIP40HTQ

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._JT_EsQGVIprCZ

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    Maybe someone here would like to contribute data to a Resolve benchmark?

The link takes you to a post with more information about the benchmark and a link to download it. If you want to try it, but don't know how to set it up (you just need to import the project and relink media) I can explain in more detail. The linked post also has some more info on how to run it. The benchmark can be run on macOS, Windows or Linux.

Regardless of that, here is some initial data for different systems. A MacBook Air M1 down below.

MacBook Air M1 2020:

09 Blur: 07-10 fps

Looking for more complete data set here.
    Is the M1 running Resolve via Rosetta?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vultch2 View Post
    No, Resolve 17.1 is running native.

I also updated the M1 scores to a more current dataset from a MacBook Pro M1. It's similar to the MacBook Air.
    @andreemarkefors

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy_Dem View Post
    Thank you! I'll download these today and probably check it out sometime after Christmas. One question I already have is if the Canon 10-bit 422 files are not GPU accelerated, that would mean its a good test for the CPU (and Rob!) - but I'll also be curious regarding gpu acclerated) 10bit 422 files (ie h265 hevc)

6. Collapse Details
    I see, these are in fact HEVC files then? I had time now so put them into the system and played already. Still no issues!!

They are more taxing, though. I can feel it slightly but not much. I added filmconvert onto the files, plus lumetri color, (both with adjustments), and played them back at Full quality for everything...

Realtime playback, no issue. 2x Playback, no issue. Two clips at once scalded down (multicam), no issue. Scrubbing and jumping around, no issue.

Unlike my 420 files from S1H, here the fans kick in and CPU utilization jumps to 50% for 1x forward playback and 100% for 2x forward playback with high activity on all 16 cores, vs much lower use on 420 footage. GPU is only being used 10%, though.

Also unlike my 420 files, here are the challenges: 4x playback falls apart, getting stuttery and then fizzing out. Reverse playback at 1x works, but stutters at what feels about 50% frame rate, 2x reverse playback, don't try it.

All in all I think I could edit this just fine without transcoding, I can add filters on and maintain realtime playback at Full Quality at 2x speed and jump all around without issue. It's just 4x speed and reverse playback that slows things down. I am not sure how Resolve would fair but it may utilize the GPU better?

On a larger and more complicated project I could see the benefit of transcoding to keep things silky smooth but I wouldn't complain about editing a whole project like this, its still much faster and snappier than my old workstation editing lesser codecs. Whereas the S1H 420 footage feels like it's even bothering this system, this 422 footage feels like it's fully utilizing the rig and reaching its limits under more stressful scenarios.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    CRL isn't that demanding.

Here are graphs of CPU and GPU utilization using Canon's Cinema RAW Development 2.6 with full quality full screen settings on on-set dailies playback station:

cpu.jpg

gpu.jpg

It's bumping CPUs to 3.4 GHz and using ~50% of processing power evenly distributed across all logical cores.

GPU is utilized up to ~30%.

GPU with min. 4GB of VRAM is required for 5.5/5.9k and 8GB for 8k.

When using SDI, either on AJA or BMD, there is limit to 24/25/29.97 fps when using 4:4:4.

So, there is no real reason why CRL wouldn't be smooth in either Premiere or Resolve running on modern system configurations.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vultch2 View Post
    Resolve performance is ok on M1 but yes there are better machines out there for Resolve. Resolve can make use of a lot of processing power which is why it scales so well to multiple cores and multiple GPUs.

While insanely impressive for a low power integrated GPU the M1 graphics processing is far from the best out there. So far 4k 24p Braw seems to work really well on my new base model M1 MBA I picked up. I didn't expect miracles on a $899 entry level machine of course but I am very happy 4k Braw actually does work well enough. More than enough for light work in the field to check footage or organize a project.

Could do a full edit if I really wanted to. I just know not to expect miracles from it for what this computer is. It will not be processing 4k Braw, NR and a pile of luts and CC nodes and play in RT with this GPU. Not without reducing playback quality or using a proxy format.

If one uses HD Braw I'm sure it will kick butt. 4k is on the edge of RT performance with some effects. 6k Braw seems to be too much except for simple playback with no CC or luts.

I often wondered about shooting 2.6k with the P4k to get 120fps but still have more detail than HD would have. This might also help M1 users get a lot more performance out of the machines. Not 120 fps but if one stayed at 2.6k for 24p then that would performa that much better on the M1. Budget users could have a pretty solid filmmaking setup with the P4k and a $899 MBA by using 2.6k Braw. Especially if all their delivery is still HD. Thats more than enough to make up for bayer detail loss.

9. Collapse Details
    I got my second notification from B&H that the mac mini I ordered I think almost 2 months ago is still back ordered. Anyone ever start to lose interest in something if you have to wait a really long time?

Btw, I saw this video that gave me second thoughts. I've seen so many videos claiming great speed increase while this one doesn't. I wonder if it's because of the slower external drive or are the other ones testing in a way that makes it look faster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uwg4uf0Rcc

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I got my second notification from B&H that the mac mini I ordered I think almost 2 months ago is still back ordered. Anyone ever start to lose interest in something if you have to wait a really long time?
    I was willing to wait a week when I originally preordered, but then canceled after I found out the non-base models will take another 1-2 months.

I would have owned more cameras if I didn't have to wait 30-60 days for them.

My max is about a week for almost everything or I lose interest. (I check back months later for some things if personal status for item or a similar hasn't changed.)

Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast