Page 34 of 91 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    it must just be me but editing on an iDevice, whether a phone or an iPad, will be a compromise for the foreseeable future. It's a growing market
    but honestly, just IMHO, I don't see a lot of pro work being edited on iPad Pros. Agree with you, a physical keyboard is a must. I've tried tablets,
    trackballs, etc. over the years but a keyboard still works best for me. But that new Resolve control unit does look intriguing. Jog wheel, drool.
    One task they are going to be really great for is watching dailies.

Cameras and camera robots should be able to send all of their footage to multiple tablets. Maybe multiple people on set (director, producers, executives) will have their own - especially in a world in 2050 if everyone is still socially distancing - and be able to watch footage immediately or even live as it's being captured.

No wires, fast, high-quality, AI maybe makes edits/grades upon import...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Oh I'm not saying Intel won't be fine - they're a behemoth. They'll be totally "fine". I'm just saying, this is a bigger hit than simply losing Apple as a client (and 3 billion of revenue). It's the start of a quantum shift in the industry and X86 dominance is (very) slowly on the way out - it ain't going anywhere soon. But the ripples will be felt well beyond Apple...
    That ARM was gaining on x86 in performance has been obvious for a long time. Apple did the "straw that not quite broke the camel's back" move visavis Intel but what it really did was to force Microsoft and Google into issuing similar systems and that's who Apple is really competing against rather than Qualcomm, Samsung, Marvell, NVIDIA, STM, Applied Micro, Broadcom, etc.

What Apple does get for its trouble is the ability to control both the hardware and the software sides (subject to the third party developers jumping on board in some markets). And that opens up the entire universe of applications, from very small portable electronics to the legacy home/business computers to the automotive to smart home appliances. Now, Apple can compete on all of these fronts. Others will respond but will have to form coalitions and alliances while Apple has it all under one hat.

3. Collapse Details
    Just upgraded my Mac Pro to Big Sur !
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlin View Post
    It's not the first version, it's the 12th. I don't expect bugs to be a problem, the question is whether or not Apple can deliver perfromance enough for professional use. A year ago the answer would have been "Lol!" but today the answer is a definite maybe.

IMO the deciding factor is going to be whether or not Apple's bean counters think it's worth the R&D effort and cost to develop the interconnects, cache coherency protocols, and so on for large scaleup like what AMD and Fujitsu have done.
    I don't think the silicon will have bugs, but the OS will have some, and software from third parties that don't have the resources to adapt their code in a hurry... that will have lots. I'm thinking printer drivers, FCPX plugins, little software tools, those kinds of things. I think we all remember the switch to 64-bits. Somewhere, someone is going to lose important data becase a card reader didn't have its driver correctly ported to ARM, or because a USB drive uses backup software that didn't get properly debugged after the update, and I wouldn't want that to be me.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    Thanks. I ordered the 13" MBP. Hopefully I get my 2018 15" sold before new big ones are announced.
    Can someone tell me if the 13" new apple chip MBP can handle nicely the new 8k files of EOS R5 and other 8k footage. I mean if you are selling the 2018 15" for a 13" then how much better is the new 13". Wonder why the new 13" doesn't have more than 16 gb

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    One task they are going to be really great for is watching dailies.

Cameras and camera robots should be able to send all of their footage to multiple tablets. Maybe multiple people on set (director, producers, executives) will have their own - especially in a world in 2050 if everyone is still socially distancing - and be able to watch footage immediately or even live as it's being captured.

No wires, fast, high-quality, AI maybe makes edits/grades upon import...
    Heck, I use my iPad Mini now with the Accsoon CineEye and it works great as a monitor. I agree, good monitoring tool, terrible editing tool.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1946 View Post
    Just upgraded my Mac Pro to Big Sur !
    Why?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by indiawilds View Post
    Can someone tell me if the 13" new apple chip MBP can handle nicely the new 8k files of EOS R5 and other 8k footage. I mean if you are selling the 2018 15" for a 13" then how much better is the new 13". Wonder why the new 13" doesn't have more than 16 gb
    I'll let you know when they ship next week or the week after!

And since the new MBA/P outperform the new 16" MBP, let's say it will be a lot better.

[I have a fully-loaded 2015 15" MBP that I thought about selling but it's just not worth it. Having another computer around is the better long-term investment.]

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Why?
    Why not ? It runs great.
    Last edited by joe1946; 11-13-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

10. Collapse Details
    Some random thoughts in no particular order, many people are lamenting the loss of eGPU compatibility. The new M1 chip will not work with the existing fleet of eGPUs out there. I am pretty sure if Apple wanted compatibility it would have happened but perhaps the performance returns were not so great.
    But what if most of us already have an external GPU or extra processor, could we plug in our iPhones or Ipads as the chips are related and can execute on the code.
    Also, back in the day Apple producer a server, it was quite good but based on Intel tech. Now Apple has the golden product a fast low power chip ideally suited to server apps. I am sure Amazon etc who build their server farms near rivers to cool their server rooms will be looking on with great interest.
    What will the big MacBook pro have, is there an M2 chip?

questions questions

Page 34 of 91 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast