Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Apple dumps Intel and shows Final Cut Pro on new Mac with Apple CPU !
    https://youtu.be/GEZhD3J89ZE?t=5843

Apple is switching Macs to its own processors starting later this year
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/2...hips-wwdc-2020
    Last edited by joe1946; 06-22-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Reactions? I can't tell if this is a good or a bad thing or what their motive is.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 06-22-2020 at 03:53 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Not good. My friend bought a PowerPC G5/DAW for several thousand dollars jsut before Apple went to Intel processors. Obsolete within months...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Licensing for Arm is far nicer than Intel, if they want 40 cores, all they need is the space on the silicon. And then they control the design.

Now if they carry this farther, they will produce desktops where you can just plug a card full of CPU into a backplane.

5. Collapse Details
    In the grand scheme of things, long term, this is good for us, more efficient processing which means less heat management/issues.
    It means that the iPad Pros will become even more viable as an alternative to a laptop for remote work.
    Hard to believe in 2020 that all of the Intel stuff is still based upon the x86 architecture, which is ancient.
    This is much more modern and makes Apples even more different than PCs, it means that Apple controls ALL of the system
    architecture, no more relying on Intel or AMDs timelines and availability of components.

It does, however mean the end of the Hackintosh, which will bum some people out.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    https://youtu.be/GEZhD3J89ZE?t=5843

It looks like Apple edited it so here is the new start at 1:37:23
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I can't tell if this is a good or a bad thing or what their motive is.
    - compatibility with apps on their phones and tablets
    - less power usage, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make in overall battery life. Some say the screen and GPU use more power
    - reduced costs for Apple, and they probably will pass some of it on to buyers

8. Collapse Details
    Apple has been using own ARM based chips since 2007. Additionally, it makes perfect sense for them to take this in house due to Intel's superior bargaining power vs. its customers. Thirdly, new ARM based server chips are also vying for the gigantic part of the Intel business and Apple likely has the same goals.

More competition on the manufacturing end is good for the buyers. Only if the photo-video industry was more like it.

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah this will eventually be a great thing. The iPad Pro also has the performance of the 13" MBP in terms of CPU and GPU and it is super thin with zero fans inside and runs for hours. Increase that size to a standard laptop and the sky really is the limit of what we can have in a 13" form factor or larger.

In the short term it may or may not suck. Kind of depends. Sounds like Adobe is 100% on board and already has most of their apps ported over. From day one it sounds like most users will be covered with the Apple pro apps and Adobe which means most people in the creative world.

Games may take a hit but gaming kind of sucks on MacOS anyway. Nobody wants to adapt to Metal 2 and the 64bit forced thing really pissed off a lot of game developers who don't have the resources to update lower revenue generating games. maybe it will get there eventually and maybe it will not. Arm MacOS will suddenly have a crap load of games however since any iPhone and iPad will suddenly work. Thats another thing to put off traditional game developers. How will they compete with $2.99 and $5.99 games? There is no way they can drop prices that much and justify the cost to develop for Mac. They may just say screw it and stick to Windows.

On the pro field front I think it will be awesome. Only tool I care about not really mentioned yet is Resolve and Blender for 3D animation. Sounds like Blender should work just fine through Rosetta however since Maya worked great in the demo. I'm sure the same will be true for Resolve as well and BMD will likely update it eventually as well. Can't think of any other pro apps I would need to worry about.

I'm a little confused on the GPU front with this move. What does that mean for the GPU? Is it integrated like it is on the iPad? While the iPad is impressive its 3D rendering is far behind that of higher end video cards. For example the 2020 iPad Pro Metal score is 9,894 compared to 43,144 of the new 5600m on the 16" MBP. Thats a massive processing difference and puts the Arm GPU more in line with the Intel GPU performance. Not horrible for everyday use but far from amazing.

On top of that will eGPU still work with an Arm Mac? Will any non Apple GPU work in the future for a eGPU enclosure or Mac Pro? I realize they want thin and efficient but pros are not always so worried about that. Yes we don't want to haul around a 15 lb laptop but many of us find the 16" MBP to have an insane amount of power and pretty darn thin and light. Now if Apple manages 24 core MP performance with four 5700 XT GPUs performance in the same 16" form factor well bring it. I will believe that when I see it however.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    - reduced costs for Apple, and they probably will pass some of it on to buyers
    Yeah... I use a ton of Apple products but I just don't see them passing those cost savings to the consumer at all. They never have and likely never will.

Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast