Page 2 of 299 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    So what's your best guess at the price of a R5 body ?

I'm going with $5,000 US.
    $3499 to $3999 settling at $2999 within a few months as Sony must release their S camera now and it has to exceed Canon's specs for the camera to have any success. If the R5 has 4k 60p with no crop or a tiny one say 1.2 and 10 bit 4:2:2 even if it's external like the EOS R it will do well with videographers. I doubt 8k is going to have 10 bit and frame rates beyond 30p and I expect a major crop of 1.8. But what is exciting is Canon must now include 8k in their upcoming Cinema line this year including the C100 II upgrade so they do not fall bellow mirrorless in specs.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    It's going to be the first FF camera that shoots 8K, even with a significant crop I expect it to be premium priced.

3. Collapse Details
    "warrantless speculation to follow"

I suspect that 8K will be heavily compressed HEVC and mostly useless for pro work. 4K will be downsampled from a cropped 6K (sort of like Z6 and S1 but with a center crop due to a much higher pixel count) with a 10-bit 4:2:2 internal. There won't be any internal Raw. There might be external 6K Raw via HDMI at a later date. R5 will basically be a slightly improved EOS R with IBIS. It'll be good on gymbals. Canon might also release a decent wide zoom for it, which one will need with a crop.

It'll be a 5D tier model but it won't go head-to-head with the 61 MPX A7RIV due to a lower res photo sensor. But it must offer 10-bit, since Sony can't.

MAP, $3,000. Canon wants to protect both 1D XMKIII and the RF-mount replacement for C100 MKII.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    EOS R has 10-bit external (to Atomos) with a 1.8 crop.
    Of course, 1D XMKIII will have 5.5K Raw and a 10-bit 4:2:2 C-Log internal at $6,500.
    OK there's hope here then. 10-bit internal would make them match Panasonic and Fuji, external RAW would make them match Nikon. Internal CRAW would put them ahead of basically everybody else. Let's wait and see...

BTW to me the name suggests $3000-$3500.

5. Collapse Details
    If the camera can record 8K at full frame, then I am guessing it will also record 4K at full frame with a direct debayering of the sensor. Canon does it on the EOS R with a UHD to 1080p downres. This is also how the cinema cameras work. It is Canon's MO. My assumption is that it is less processor intensive to go from 8K to 4K then from 6K to 4K but I could be wrong. Of course, the rolling shutter will be really bad and and I doubt it will get above 30p. Higher frame rates will likely result in sensor crops. It would be nice if they ported over most of the 1DX III recording modes with a sensor crop to get to the 5.9K, but I doubt the R5 is designed to handle the heat.

6. Collapse Details
    Gosh, it will be quite a guess on how much they cripple or don't with this camera. Big things for me to purchase would be:
    10 bit 4:2:2 internal up to 4k, NO CROP, NO *
    No 30 min time limit
    Video features/ease of use for video like the GH5 - easy white balance and setting changes.

Hopes - Line in so external recorders can be pumped into the camera and still sound decent. Codecs that have 24bit PCM audio. Basically be serious about this as a video tool, not a spec monster.

I have no doubts this will be a killer stills camera. Depending on the weight, this camera with a light wide prime could be a great gimbal camera. We will see. This space is really heating up! XT-4, GH6, some kind of Sony, the Nikons and now Canon seems to be playing ball. If the M-series could ditch the 30 minute limit Canon's ecosystem could be quite useful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    But I think they've exceeded expectations with the C200, C500 ii, and 1DX iii. The R5 could be very interesting.
    As an early C200 adopter, I don't know if I would agree with this. Many blood vessels were burst and teeth were gnashed when it was revealed that the C200 didn't and would never have a 10-bit XF-AVC codec.
    People were apoplectic and many still are and consider the C200 a failure simply because it wasn't a RAW shooting C300 MKII. Meanwhile, those of us who knew it was an amazing internally recording RAW camera
    with DPAF for $7,500.00 have been happily shooting with it for almost two years.

The RAW part with the C200 exceeded expectations but the absence of a mid range codec definitely didn't meet expectations, clouding the market's perception of what has turned out to be an excellent camera.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Don't want to be negative here but we're talking Canon. Prepare to be disappointed, that's just how it is. I love Canon cameras and glass
    but expecting them to do what logic dictates is ALWAYS fraught with disappointment.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    This space is really heating up! XT-4, GH6, some kind of Sony, the Nikons and now Canon seems to be playing ball.
    I noticed that B&H Photo has the GH5 for $1,300 US right now, which looks like an indicator that the GH6 is coming this Spring. ( clear out the stock of the old camera before the new model arrives )

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    If the camera can record 8K at full frame, then I am guessing it will also record 4K at full frame with a direct debayering of the sensor. Canon does it on the EOS R with a UHD to 1080p downres. This is also how the cinema cameras work. It is Canon's MO. My assumption is that it is less processor intensive to go from 8K to 4K then from 6K to 4K but I could be wrong. Of course, the rolling shutter will be really bad and and I doubt it will get above 30p. Higher frame rates will likely result in sensor crops. It would be nice if they ported over most of the 1DX III recording modes with a sensor crop to get to the 5.9K, but I doubt the R5 is designed to handle the heat.
    Nikon Z6 is line skipping rather than downsampling for its full frame 6K-to-4K Raw signal to Ninja5 via HDMI. Technically, line skipping is less processor and bandwidth intensive but usually results in a horrendous moire. And Canon won't put an OLPF on a high res stills camera because that would pee off the stills shooters.

Besides, Canon is notorious for its center crop. Likewise, Sony also offered the center crop as an option for A7RIII and RIV video portion. For a 42 MPX RIII sensor, the full frame original was down to APS-C 15 MPX in center crop, then downsampled to 4K. Which is ~ 5.5K-to-4K. I think that's what will happen with R5.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I noticed that B&H Photo has the GH5 for $1,300 US right now, which looks like an indicator that the GH6 is coming this Spring. ( clear out the stock of the old camera before the new model arrives )
    After Ilya's post, not even a major rumor. The 43 dude has been busy with Olympus.

Page 2 of 299 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast