Thread: Gemini Man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post

We simply have preferences for when those frame rates are used, and prefer slower frame rates for movies, probably because it doesn't look live and looks more fictional, like the story is supposed to be. I don't know how many times HFR has to be tried and get the same reaction for that to become clear.
    True as that may be, I've never heard a convincing explanation of why that is. Only theories. To throw another theory on the pile, maybe 24fps is low enough for persistence of vision to kick in, but because the motion isn't complete our brian has to fill in the missing temporal information, and does so in a way that is pleasing to us and allows suspension of disbelief. 60 fps, 120fps, may exist in an uncanny valley of motion where its too fast for our brain to keep up and fill in the motion gaps, but not fast enough to look completely real so we can't suspend disbelief as easily. Perhaps refresh needs to be even higher to get past that, but its possible that rate would have to be so ridiculously high as to be unfeasible. In the end, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    True as that may be, I've never heard a convincing explanation of why that is. Only theories. To throw another theory on the pile, maybe 24fps is low enough for persistence of vision to kick in, but because the motion isn't complete our brian has to fill in the missing temporal information, and does so in a way that is pleasing to us and allows suspension of disbelief. 60 fps, 120fps, may exist in an uncanny valley of motion where its too fast for our brain to keep up and fill in the motion gaps, but not fast enough to look completely real so we can't suspend disbelief as easily. Perhaps refresh needs to be even higher to get past that, but its possible that rate would have to be so ridiculously high as to be unfeasible. In the end, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I dunno. I've wondered if it's along the same lines as music theory. Some chords and chord progressions just trigger things in the brain. Some notes resonate well together; some don't. Some music sounds happy, some doesn't. People don't want happy songs in minor keys, and they don't want HFR for their movies (or dramatic TV shows, for that matter). 'swatitis.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

3. Collapse Details
    I saw it in 3D at 60fps projection, and as much as I hated The Hobbit's 48fps projection, I liked this one. This is probably the first live action 3D movie where I didn't want to tear off the glasses after 15 minutes. And I believe the HFR is here to stay, not necessarily replacing 24fps, but as another artistic choice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123