Thread: Sigma fp

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I wish I could see things that way, I truly do.

Life would be much simpler.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    DLD just provided one of the many opinion pieces we circulate around here...Sigma's higher end models to protect are called a7SIII and R5.
    Or A7IV and A7RV. Canon seems to have struck on its own.

Beside, with the postponed 2020 summer Olympics in Tokyo now back on the schedule, there's likely to be a bunch of models coming out prior to that event.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Thats too conspiracy theory for me to buy. Sigma wouldn't knowingly spend the money to develop a camera that was designed to fail to protect Sony and Canon...
    An assumption that FP L is a strictly Sigma design may not be warranted either. The sensor is the same as in A7RIV. So can be most everything else, just a stripped down version. In Hollywood, it's called repurposing.

And, if you believe that it's a cartel as I do, then this is how the cartel works. It's not that one model protects one other, it's that the entire industry colludes on both prices and features/performance and every participant gets its slice of the pie. And, often unwittingly, the slice turns out to be very small.

3. Collapse Details
    a7IV's not out yet, but I wonder where this one will fit with the a7C around for the same price ($1800).

Maybe they can make it around $2200 and add 10-bit up to 30p to grab a few more dollars.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    a7IV's not out yet, but I wonder where this one will fit with the a7C around for the same price ($1800).

Maybe they can make it around $2200 and add 10-bit up to 30p to grab a few more dollars.
    I laugh because when they cut the price in the fall I was sure that they were going to release it. Instead they released other high end models and don't want their product lines to compete. Instead releasing a74 and gaining further lead they were more than happy to drag their feet and milk as much sales out of the A73.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    they were more than happy to drag their feet and milk as much sales out of the A73.
    That's what happened with the A7SII. As far as I know, they were poised to release the A7SIII much earlier. But the a7sii was still selling well, so they postponed

6. Collapse Details
    Sony actually said a few times in 2018 and 2019 that the camera wasn't ready yet (and IIRC they wanted to make it better than what they currently had).

With that said, if RED or Blackmagic or ARRI made stills cameras that were as advanced as the Japanese systems there would be no postponement. They might have actually released it before anyone else (along with Canon's version) because of their high technological integrity.

___

I mean...even if the cartel talk is crazy to some (I'm actually getting tired of it myself), what kind of business is this?

There are mainly two companies selling cameras.

Panasonic and Nikon and Sigma and Olympus with their 1-2 random photo cameras per year with one random "wow factor" model (S1H) surely do not count anymore.

When you have this much control over such a specialized product - a very superior photography machine that can also shoot motion pictures - that is what you do; you control the business.

Imagine if someone else from a different country came along and offered a R5 or a7SIII - exactly spec-for-spec just as good if not better - for $2000? $1000?

What in the world would Canon and Sony do then? [Obviously the phones are providing this threat, but still far away from the total packages that the mirrorless' are.]

7. Collapse Details
    One thing's for sure - these companies make BlackMagic look goooood for how they operate and advance.

There were hot and heavy rumors on the main sony rumor site like 1.5 years before the A7SIII actually got announced. A high degree of certainty - like, the announcement is imminent - and I believe that the rumors guy said that they pushed the announcement. The reasoning for that decision is just speculation

8. Collapse Details
    They could have definitely pushed it back a bit just so we can have a much better camera two years later (I do believe this) - and all they have to do is get Canon on the phone (they are most likely boardroom meetings) - but they also have all the time in the world to do it because they don't have any competition, lol.

It was really a beautiful thing until those darn handheld devices came along.

9. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure the technology advanced THAT much in the interim. Maybe it took them that long to improve the menus? JK.

And the thing is - the a7sii was still selling. Whereas when they delayed the sigma 70-200 fe which was rumored for imminent announcement - it seemed likely to me that they wanted to improve its AF performance relative to the tamron 70-180 fe, which is lightning quick. If sigma released an optically superior but heavy and slow-focusing lens, they probably would have blown their shot. It was the only lens I bought specifically for AF speed because telephoto focusing can be the most challenging

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, the "advancements" included all the standard stuff we're used to/want with a full-frame sensor.

Up to the point of the R5 and a7SIII, there were no total package full-frame cameras.

Everything was with MFT and S35.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast