Thread: Sigma fp

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Every camera has its right price in a given market. With a dubious AF, it's dubious for stills. With a dubious codec, it's dubious for video. It feels like a stop-gap piece by Sony, crippled in more ways than created.

If priced at about $2,000, it'd make some sense with an external LiDAR AF and manual lenses. A truly competitive $2,500 camera in 2021 would have had at least a 6K-into-4K (with variable aspect ratios), either a H264 or H265 10-bit internal codec and a lock-on auto focus. Crippling these features is a middle finger right in the face of a potential customer.

But that's how the industry works.

2. Collapse Details
    That's weird the newsshooter article has a picture with hdmi out and also mentions it - https://www.cined.com/sigma-fp-l-cam...and-hybrid-af/

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ericsanpablo View Post
    That's weird the newsshooter article has a picture with hdmi out and also mentions it - https://www.cined.com/sigma-fp-l-cam...and-hybrid-af/
    oh in the comments of cined they say the hdmi cover pictured in the marketing material is just a place to hold the original hdmi cover. That would be dissapointing if so. But I guess it still has ubc-c out for external recording?

4. Collapse Details
    With VF attached:

HDMI, no.
    USB-C, yes.

5. Collapse Details
    is it just me or is this not an improvement over the first one for video?

but did it get LOG recording?

they say it has hybrid AF, but they don't mention how many points... anyway, there's no way it can catch canon/sony functionality in a single leap. even if they wanted to.

i feel like the most exciting thing about this release is adding the EVF option to the original sigma fp. for anyone who really likes cinemaDNG, that would be a cool camera. Otherwise, the P6K Pro is really what this type of cameraman would want, no?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    is it just me or is this not an improvement over the first one for video?

but did it get LOG recording?

they say it has hybrid AF, but they don't mention how many points... anyway, there's no way it can catch canon/sony functionality in a single leap. even if they wanted to.

i feel like the most exciting thing about this release is adding the EVF option to the original sigma fp. for anyone who really likes cinemaDNG, that would be a cool camera. Otherwise, the P6K Pro is really what this type of cameraman would want, no?
    Still no log recording. Autofocus is not great, I think I may have seen 49 AF points somewhere. But skip to 7:06 in the video below to see the autofocus tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsz3wto6lNk

0:00​ - Intro & Disclosure
    0:51​ - Pricing & Value
    1:31​ - Photo Capabilities vs a7R IV
    2:35​ - Video Overview
    3:02​ - Build Quality
    3:16​ - Crop Zoom & Oversampling
    4:16​ - Rolling Shutter
    4:24​ - Blackmagic RAW
    5:13​ - Ergonomics
    5:58​ - Display
    6:14​ - Quirks
    6:52​ - White Balance
    7:06​ - Autofocus
    7:39​ - Image Quality & Recording Modes
    9:45​ - Final Thoughts

7. Collapse Details
    DUD. lol

Sometimes certain models do really well overseas...this is a cool, small photo camera which most likely will.

8. Collapse Details
    I guess that if the lack of autofocus is holding you back from buying a P6K Pro, then this could be the camera for you. But that's gotta be not a huge group of people. And the autofocus looks like crap.

cartel, you've done it again! enjoy resting on your laurels while you still can

9. Collapse Details
    It feels like a throwaway model between major announcements from the major players. Technically, of course, a firmware upgrade can improve the auto focus and the codecs but it's unlikely to ever come out.

Sigma management ought to be ashamed of this model. Foveon equipped stills cameras provide gorgeous images but have their quirks. In an unproven technology, it can be tolerated. But in case of FP L, all Sigma needed was to deliver technology that's been on the market a long time. Or they could have priced it much, much lower. Instead, they showed how to be a junior partner to the cartel bigwigs.

10. Collapse Details
    I watched Gerald review. He struggled to find anything good to say. The industry as a whole seems out of touch with the real world usage. It’s odd Sigma had the benefit of looking at all the existing cameras , their shortcomings and design a better camera. Instead their idea was to put a big sensor in a small body with terrible ergonomics .

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast