Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I figure it makes sense to place the news on Macs here.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...180459743.html
    Probably the death of Hackintoshing.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Definitely, but I do think that this decision has a lot to do with how Apple deals with their most popular segment: laptops. I don't know if they're going to make a ARM workstation chip anytime soon, but it's known that Apple has been working towards cross OS and cross platform compatibility in their apps for years now, so maybe the Intel stuff will have a longer shelf life than we think.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Quite a way down the road perhaps.

But first we will have to wait until the last Intel based Mac is taken out of the store, and then another few years since MacOS is typically backwards compatible for a few generations.

Catalina is the first OS that isn't compatible with my MacPro from 2009...

I have a feeling the likelihood that something else apart from compatibility might happen in the meantime that makes 'Hackintoshing' a momentary curiosity in time, is just as likely.
    @andreemarkefors

4. Collapse Details
    Considering how much power an iPad Pro can have with zero cooling in a thin body I'm now intrigued at what Apple could do in a laptop and desktop form factor. They could hit performance levels with almost zero fan noise that would would never get with Intel. A MP is large enough to stick a lot of arm cores into and if the performance doubles or triples how many of us really care if it can run bootcamp or not?

Whats going to be interesting is how will Adobe adapt. The design community still largely uses Adobe and Macs and if Adobe will not run on arm how is that going to hurt apple in the short term? Once they lose those customers it may be hard to get them back with just performance.

Metal 2 is pretty amazing but we still have many of a few games that did work on MacOS still fail to support Metal or the 64bit requirement. Developers seem to be slow to adapt to all of these forced changes from Apple and the move to Arm could be even worse. Dropping OpenGL support made sense but there was no need t drop OpenCL just to push Metal 2. The push for 64bit was a must but cutting off everything that was 32bit was a bit harsh. Apple may be trying to do the right thing here but if the industry isn't going to move with them it could be a very bad thing. Catalina kind of sucks right now for those that use apps that still require OpenCL or 32bit. Maybe that will get better and maybe it will not. How painful is the move to Arm going to be? Is Apple banking on only FCPX users or do they have a plan with Adobe and other core application developers to move wit them?

5. Collapse Details
    A beautiful computer. Nice to see Apple setting a standard again for pro machines.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post

Whats going to be interesting is how will Adobe adapt. The design community still largely uses Adobe and Macs and if Adobe will not run on arm how is that going to hurt apple in the short term? Once they lose those customers it may be hard to get them back with just performance.
    Adobe seems rather on board with iOS and ARM-based CPUs. The mobile/iPad versions of Photoshop and Illustrator are getting there, Premiere Rush is too simple for our needs but works on iOS, macOS, Windows, and Android and presumably will improve, etc. etc. So I think Adobe will be able to make the move to a new CPU just as they've already done several times in the past. And as you point out, the graphics market is a big deal, so I'm sure Apple will provide all the help Adobe asks for. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/catalog/mobile.html

Related, here's an article Ars Technica posted yesterday: Apple plans to announce ARM transition for all Macs at WWDC 2020

Semi-related (well, more direclty related to the subject line of this thread), a friend who owns a post house in LA (about a dozen employees) was at the HPA Tech Retreat, and apparently Netflix tested the Pro Display XDR and said it wasn't approved as a Dolby Vision / HDR reference monitor. That was in Feb; perhaps it was a firmware issue or something? Or "just" some tweaky Netflix thing. Anyone know the latest?
    Last edited by Jim Feeley; 06-10-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

7. Collapse Details
    Shooting the breeze here, but if in a few years we have iMacs and MacBooks running ARM chips running a similar if not identical instruction set to the guts of our smartphones it ought to be possible to use our smartphones as external processors. Just a thunderbolt connected carriage and you can plug in a few smartphones for more omph.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839