Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 265
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,609
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    Have you seen 'The Morning Show'? Let me tell you, I knew nothing about it beforehand, but from the cast, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Billy Crudup, Mark Duplass, Karen Pittman, Brett Butler, Martin Short, Kelly Clarkson I had it pegged for comedy. Imagine my shock. I literally paused the program to see if I had clicked on the wrong title.

    Shot with the DXL2 in 8K, I have literally never seen anything like it. Whereas Arri has the market cornered for beauty, softness, TMS is drama, quite depressing at times. It was no commercial for Aveeno or Neutrogena. Reality through neutrality, the series has a very real feel to it, with nuanced characters and acting. Tremendous DR and not simply a clean look, although it's anything but dirty. It manages something of a film look, more modern, more highly detailed but not sterile, not absent of texture or grain. It perfectly expresses its intent and never loses its grip. It's one of the best for exploiting the benefits of HDR visuals without shouting them.
    Brawley shot some of season 2 of the Morning Show. If only there were some sort of internet discussion board where we could ask him about it


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Brawley shot some of season 2 of the Morning Show. If only there were some sort of internet discussion board where we could ask him about it
    To answer sincerely, JB posts on several forums, including reduser, and has a blog. he is out there.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Eric Coughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,538
    Default
    When I first saw this topic being revived I mistakenly was thinking, "Did Arri just release their 4K Super35 Alexa Mini?" Alas.


    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    To answer sincerely, JB posts on several forums, including reduser, and has a blog. he is out there.
    And if you look his address up in the White Pages you can show up to his house and ask him in person.
    And again I say unto you, it is easier for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle, than for a camel to enter into the kingdom of God.

    Vimeo Page: https://Vimeo.com/TwoSenseFilms
    Website: http://TwoSenseFilms.com


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Tom Roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,315
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Brawley shot some of season 2 of the Morning Show. If only there were some sort of internet discussion board where we could ask him about it
    They built an actual working set for the newsroom, and used it for the setting of the Morning Show broadcasts. You can see BMD equipment everywhere, Ursa cams, ATEM switchers, monitors, and they filmed the actual Morning Show scenes with this mock up. It would only make sense for Brawley to be involved.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Default
    Super 35 modes and some new large format modes have been added to the ALEXA Mini LF in a firmware update:

    https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/05/...-7-0-released/

    - 3.4K S35 3:2 – 3.4K up to 60 fps
    - 3.2K S35 16:9 – 3.2K up to 75 fps
    - 2.8K S35 4:3 – 2.8K up to 75 fps
    - 2.8K S35 16:9 – HD up to 100 fps
    - 4.3K LF 16:9 – UHD up to 48 fps
    - 4.3K LF 16:9 – HD up to 75 fps

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARR4eOqTK4U


    If you watch the video above at the 17min 30sec Matt asks about the new super 35 camera that ARRI are currently working and he does reveal some details:

    - it will be available in volume in early 2022
    - will be approximately the size and shape of the ALEXA Mini
    - will use the same viewfinder as the ALEXA Mini LF
    - capable of using the same media as the ALEXA Mini LF
    - will be a Super 35 4:3 4K sensor
    - B-mount battery mount will be default battery mount, but they will allow other battery mounts
    - Marc Shipman-Mueller did have a prototype on his desk during this interview which of course wasn't shown
    Last edited by Teddy_Dem; 05-06-2021 at 02:46 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy_Dem View Post
    Super 35 modes and some new large format modes have been added to the ALEXA Mini LF in a firmware update:

    https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/05/...-7-0-released/

    - 3.4K S35 3:2 3.4K up to 60 fps
    - 3.2K S35 16:9 3.2K up to 75 fps
    - 2.8K S35 4:3 2.8K up to 75 fps
    - 2.8K S35 16:9 HD up to 100 fps
    - 4.3K LF 16:9 UHD up to 48 fps
    - 4.3K LF 16:9 HD up to 75 fps

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARR4eOqTK4U


    If you watch the video above at the 17min 30sec Matt asks about the new super 35 camera that ARRI are currently working and he does reveal some details:

    - it will be available in volume in early 2022
    - will be approximately the size and shape of the ALEXA Mini
    - will use the same viewfinder as the ALEXA Mini LF
    - capable of using the same media as the ALEXA Mini LF
    - will be a Super 35 4:3 4K sensor
    - B-mount battery mount will be default battery mount, but they will allow other battery mounts
    - Marc Shipman-Mueller did have a prototype on his desk during this interview which of course wasn't shown
    Also, worth noting, in the pro space, that batteries are moving to 24v for more power hungry cameras, and LED lighting. So, batteries will be sort of interchangeable on powerful lights as well.

    B-Mount is solid. I think the tolerances are too tight, so a little dust will wreck havoc long term. Gold mount is awesome in that regard, but I find B mount to be a worthy successor. In this transitional time, I may just invest in Block Battery products since they are sort of adaptable to any format.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Default
    "...we won't release a sensor unless is is as good... or better... wink wink". I think that means it is better?


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,774
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Also, worth noting, in the pro space, that batteries are moving to 24v for more power hungry cameras, and LED lighting. So, batteries will be sort of interchangeable on powerful lights as well.

    B-Mount is solid. I think the tolerances are too tight, so a little dust will wreck havoc long term. Gold mount is awesome in that regard, but I find B mount to be a worthy successor. In this transitional time, I may just invest in Block Battery products since they are sort of adaptable to any format.
    I'm about to invest in bebob micro gold mount batteries. Who knows how long it'll be before micro B-mount versions of batteries are available. Plus when working with tiny cinema cameras rather than power hungry cameras of the future, there is no battery that is both good for camera and needy LEDs. So unless you're big into the Arri system I don't see the need to jump into the B-mount at this point. Also, on huge shows, camera/lighting departments would have their own separate batteries, unless this new standard changes the way crews work where there's a giant pile of batteries for the entire crew to help themselves to. Maybe it'll create a new position - "juice tech"?

    My plan is to buy a handful of micro 150w batteries for camera/monitor then cheap, almost expendable large v-mounts in the 250-300 range.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Grug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,242
    Default
    I don't mind moving to B-mount (v-mount s*%ts me frequently), but they better put the goddamned battery plate BACK on the back of the camera again - no more of this semi-detached, cable-required nonsense.

    Also, a Venice-style full range of internal NDs.

    If they address those two issues (and hopefully add a dual native ISO mode as well), I'll probably cough up the change for one.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    I don't mind moving to B-mount (v-mount s*%ts me frequently), but they better put the goddamned battery plate BACK on the back of the camera again - no more of this semi-detached, cable-required nonsense.

    Also, a Venice-style full range of internal NDs.

    If they address those two issues (and hopefully add a dual native ISO mode as well), I'll probably cough up the change for one.
    Yeah, I love that about the Red Ranger body. It makes things more solid, but also cleaner and more compact. The functionality on the Ranger body compared to a Mini or Mini LF is pretty crazy, and it is smaller!


    V-mount has the worst feel. I never can trust it, always have to be aware of the battery. I hate that. Only comfort is the lower prices.


    B-mount, I do like. It feels like the battery is fused onto the camera, and they become one. Extremely confidence inspiring. But, when tolerances are that tight, and working in the field, the dust is going to get annoying at some point. Gold Mount may continue to be the best compromise. I'm sure there is a automotive metaphor about machine tolerances and longevity.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •