Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The camera above also has variable pressure-sensitive zooming which works well.

Per usual, the rest of it is going to come down to the specimen operating everything.

2. Collapse Details
    Just wanted to follow up on some previous conversation about zoom controllers for the CX350. I find the Libec ZFC-L to be really great. I can zoom every bit as slowly as on my PX270s's, and actually can quickly zoom in and out even faster than the rocker on the camera itself. Is it a true "pro" zoom found on Fujinon or Canon broadcast lenses? No. But it's pretty great. Best camercorder zoom other than the PX270 on the market.

My only complaint with the CX350 zoom is the lack of a separate lanc focus controller. I need the ability to have a focus control on the left handle, and a zoom control on the right handle, and both would go to a single cord that plus into the camera’s LANC port. I have camera operators that need the ability to focus with one hand and zoom with the other. Here's the idea:

lanc idea generic.jpg
    Last edited by Doyle; 04-28-2021 at 07:27 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    I agree. They finally got the rear zoom worked out and it is quite good now. I would like to see your idea of a split cable with rear iris controls like the PX-270 can do. I am using this camera more and more in place of my PX270 and it has some advantages like quicker zoom and ACVHD codecs for card handoff jobs. The highlights are improved but still a weak area for the sensor and auto iris tends to overexpose everything causing me to dial in -8 to -11 of compensation. Overall, a very nice camera for the price.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
    My only complaint with the CX350 zoom is the lack of a separate lanc focus controller. I need the ability to have a focus control on the left handle, and a zoom control on the right handle, and both would go to a single cord that plus into the camera’s LANC port. I have camera operators that need the ability to focus with one hand and zoom with the other.
    Yes, this has been a frequent request, especially from users of previous Panasonic camcorders that had separate zoom and focus controller ports.

When the CX350 was first released, I believe VariZoom indicated that they were working on an updated controller product for the camera that would enable this kind of separate zoom and focus operation. But it's been around 2 years now, and I haven't really heard any more about this since.

Manfrotto used to make the 521SB LANC splitter/combiner box which allowed for connecting two LANC remotes to a single camera for this purpose. But unfortunately it has been discontinued for several years now:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Splitter.html

My understanding of the LANC protocol is that it is a bi-directional serial protocol at a fixed baud rate (data transmission speed). Which means that a passive splitter cable will not necessarily work well as you kind of need a single piece of electronics that is communicating with the camera and sequencing any commands to be sent in a serial way. I believe this is pretty much what the Manfrotto 521SB did. I actually don't think such a component is very complicated by the standards of modern electronics (the LANC protocol is decades old at this point). It would likely be possible to create something like the 521SB box with an Arduino, for example, although then you'd probably need a separate power source for it.

I'm guessing that there just isn't a ton of broader demand out there for such a LANC splitter/combiner product though, or else Manfrotto wouldn't have discontinued their version.

5. Collapse Details
    I feel that remote control ability has been ignored, crippled or under developed intentionally as a tiered feature only offered on more expensive broadcast eng style cameras. Even though ux90/180 have a separate cable for each, I found it only useful to control the iris in one hand and zoom in the other. The manual focus wheel is too sensitive when dealing with subjects farther than 10 ft away. The difference between 30ft and infinity is like a 2 degree turn of the dial. I also find these cameras change the focus even when manually focused to compensate for the non para focal lenses they use. So zoom into a subject 50ft away set focus manually and zoom back out the camera tweaks the focus. The whole focus system isn’t very good. That could also be why they have left things the way they are.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 04-29-2021 at 05:45 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    When the CX350 was first released, I believe VariZoom indicated that they were working on an updated controller product for the camera that would enable this kind of separate zoom and focus operation. But it's been around 2 years now, and I haven't really heard any more about this since
    I spoke to Varizoom about this a few months ago (when considering purchasing CX350's and seeing this as a major limitation) and they confirmed that this was an idea they originally had but that they did not pursue it further.

I've also sent emails about this idea to just about everybody I can think of that make zoom or focus controllers...Manfrotto, Libec, Acebil, Varizoom, Tilta, Digipin...but have only heard back from Acebil. They said it might be possible:

"We have professional Zoom and Focus control handle set for LanC camera only ( can not use for Panasonic). It is AS-1 Zoom controller with FR-LC10 Forcus controller ."

Their lack of knowledge about the CX350 being LANC capable aside, I hope this is possible. I really like the build of their pro controllers. Only downside would be that a set would cost basically half the price of a CX350.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    Manfrotto used to make the 521SB LANC splitter/combiner box which allowed for connecting two LANC remotes to a single camera for this purpose. But unfortunately it has been discontinued for several years now
    Oh man this would have done the trick I think. Too bad they discontinued it. Maybe there are only like 5 of us that would buy it. I can confirm that a splitter cable does not work. ;)

8. Collapse Details
    How to adjust the white balance when I use V-log and what are your experiences shooting V-log with CX-350 ... thanks

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
    Just wanted to follow up on some previous conversation about zoom controllers for the CX350. I find the Libec ZFC-L to be really great. I can zoom every bit as slowly as on my PX270s's, and actually can quickly zoom in and out even faster than the rocker on the camera itself. Is it a true "pro" zoom found on Fujinon or Canon broadcast lenses? No. But it's pretty great. Best camercorder zoom other than the PX270 on the market.

My only complaint with the CX350 zoom is the lack of a separate lanc focus controller. I need the ability to have a focus control on the left handle, and a zoom control on the right handle, and both would go to a single cord that plus into the camera’s LANC port. I have camera operators that need the ability to focus with one hand and zoom with the other. Here's the idea:

lanc idea generic.jpg
    I have been using the Libec ZFC-L with my CX350 for the past year and a half. The zoom rocker works as advertised, no issues. I find the ZFC-L focus rocker to be too slow for my liking. Is there a camera setting that would speed this up?

10. Collapse Details
    The CX-350 uses HLG, not actual V-log. Just white balance normally...white or grey card, or for day exteriors, use the 5600 white balance preset.
    The HLG profile has proven very useful for contrasty daytime scenes and is relatively easy to grade.
    Barry Green's excellent book is a must for a deep dive into what this camera offers.

Ken

Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast