Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FS700 Flash Memory Unit?
    So I have the chance to buy a FS700 at a decent price but the sd card slot does not work. however the unit includes a 128gb flash memory unit for recording. Has anyone had experince shooting on the flash memory unit? Is it still worth getting the camera if it can only record trhough the flash unit and not sd cards (external recording also an option, but you can only get 10 bit or better out with the odyssey correct?).

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, the Flash unit doesn't give any visual benefits compared to recording on SD card.
    The FMU128 was a waaaaaay over priced extension to the FS700 that I doubt many people used. If the SD slot is broken and you get the Flash memory cheap enough I guess it's rather convenient...
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    Yes, the Flash unit doesn't give any visual benefits compared to recording on SD card.
    The FMU128 was a waaaaaay over priced extension to the FS700 that I doubt many people used. If the SD slot is broken and you get the Flash memory cheap enough I guess it's rather convenient...
    Well a 128 gb one would be included with the camera so i would have a source to store the data, and if its just as reliable without having an sd card slot I might jump on the deal, just the idea of buying a camera with a broken sd slot is not the best sounding idea haha.

4. Collapse Details
    Ok! Yeah, buying a camera with something broken is always scary!
    i have never used the FMU128, but it seems to be deeply integrated into the camera system so my guess would be it's just as reliable, if not more so, as SD cards.
    I would only buy a camera with something broken if it was a pretty damn good deal though...
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

5. Collapse Details
    Given that a brand new one only costs $4000, it's have to be a really good price to make me buy a used one that is not in full working order.
    Last edited by deltoidjohn; 09-30-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

6. Collapse Details
    Just keep in mind, and I know this is a random one, the beeping issue on the fs700/fs100
    I was one of the unlucky ones that had this problem, and managed to solve it by experimenting with memory cards.
    the flash unit caused the beep no matter what. If you are using the 7Q or whatever you will be fine, but would hate to see you get stuck-the link to the beeping issue is here:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...=1#post2428788

7. Collapse Details
    I've had the FMU and used it almost since buying the camera two years ago. It's rock-solid. In the highest quality 1080 internal mode, you get like 11 hours of recording time, so that's nice. With a fully functional camera, you get the feature of being able to dual-roll internally on the camera. This is a very good feature to have, of course. I'm sure that the SD slot repair cost would be reasonable if you were to ship the camera back to Sony for a fix once you received it. It would almost definitely be less than the cost of the FMU drive itself were you to buy one new. I love that I can usually go multiple shoots without having to format the drive, too - peace of mind with one more backup maintained on hand.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Darling View Post
    I've had the FMU and used it almost since buying the camera two years ago. It's rock-solid. In the highest quality 1080 internal mode, you get like 11 hours of recording time, so that's nice. With a fully functional camera, you get the feature of being able to dual-roll internally on the camera. This is a very good feature to have, of course. I'm sure that the SD slot repair cost would be reasonable if you were to ship the camera back to Sony for a fix once you received it. It would almost definitely be less than the cost of the FMU drive itself were you to buy one new. I love that I can usually go multiple shoots without having to format the drive, too - peace of mind with one more backup maintained on hand.
    I can't imagine trusting 11 hours of footage to a single piece of media! Scary. hahaha

Seeing how repairing a broken ND wheel is pretty much $1K USD, I would definitely enquire about repair cost (direct from Sony) before purchasing. Just my 2 cents

9. Collapse Details
    Well, you're otherwise trusting everything to a flimsy $60 piece of plastic with some metal contacts on it. Either way, it's going to take a leap of faith, don't you think? If you have a functioning SD card slot, you can dual-roll on the FS700. That's the safe bet, and the one that I take.

10. Collapse Details
    I work with 5 x fs700 professionally at production house. Twice the SD slot has broken, people try to put cards in backwards. Good News SD slot is easy to replace, also it is fairly cheap, around $150 i think. You need small screw driver and remove the small screws all around shell of fs700. You can call sony professional parts and ask for the sd card assembly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast