Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon 70-200 2.8
    Hello guys.

Do you think it's worth the investment in this lens in a crop sensor?

It would be for any type of video, including short films.

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    The effective focal length of that lens on your APS-C camera is going to be 112-320mm. It would make it hard to shoot a lot of things, outside of landscapes or wildlife videos.

If you have few lenses, realistically, you may want to start by covering the basic focal lengths first: 35mm (wide) - 50mm (normal) - 85mm (close-up).

On a crop sensor camera, a couple of zoom lenses come to mind: Tamron 17-50mm Non-VC, Sigma 17-50mm or the Canon 17-55mm.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll then save that money and opt for other lenses.

The difference in focal length with crop sensor it's something that confuses me.

For example, i think i'm going to buy a Sigma 35mm 1.4 as i've seen really good reviews and videos about it. But in a crop sensor that would be something like 50mm, right? and a 50mm would be like 70mm?
    Last edited by mikcheck; 08-28-2014 at 06:12 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    You are correct. Your 35mm becomes an effective 56mm (35 x 1.6).

The crop factor is 1.6x on APS-C sized sensor cameras.
    Iif you take a 50mm lens, and stick it on your APS-C camera, you end up with an effective 80mm (50 x 1.6).

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you.

So effectively, to cover the wide, normal and close up it can be for example something like this for a crop sensor: 19mm lens for a wide, 35mm for normal and 50mm for close up?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikcheck View Post
    Thank you.

So effectively, to cover the wide, normal and close up it can be for example something like this for a crop sensor: 19mm lens for a wide, 35mm for normal and 50mm for close up?
    Yup!

By the way, focal length for coverage comes down to personal taste and your shooting environment. You don't have to have all of your bases covered, but at least get a lens that fits your need.

Personally, I love the look of 35-40mm in my projects - I could shoot an entire short at those lengths. And using it on a full frame gives me a fighting chance of pulling focus at bigger apertures (** wider lenses give you deeper depth of field - longer lenses give you smaller depth of field at comparable apertures).

Consider your shooting environment as well: longer focal lengths inside of tight spaces can get complicated, and limit shot choices.

7. Collapse Details
    On a good note...the 70-200 2.8 II is a fantastic lens on FF or APSC. You definitely would not regret it. You would most likely need a few others obviously...but this lens is definitely worth every penny. I have always loved the look of that one.

8. Collapse Details
    Have either of you guys ever used one?
    The 70-200 2.8 IS II is quite possibly the best lens that Canon makes. Before you go poopoohing it based on some numbers, try one out. It ain't cheap, it ain't lightweight, but the image it gives you is simply amazing.

9. Collapse Details
    The 70-200 2.8 IS II is quite possibly the best lens that Canon makes. Before you go poopoohing it based on some numbers, try one out. It ain't cheap, it ain't lightweight, but the image it gives you is simply amazing.

I don't think anyone is poopooing the lens. Just giving some practical advice before they spend $2.5k on a lens.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrius Simutis View Post
    Nobody dissed the lens - re-read the posts. I simply addressed the effective focal length of that lens on a crop-sensor camera.

I wouldn't shoot a short with just 112mm to 320mm - would you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast