Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH2 Hack - Start me out gently
    What should I use to test the hack out? I want something very stable, and preferably under 100mbs. (for space considerations) I also want a hack that will work natively in Final Cut Pro X. Thanks for any guidance.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

2. Collapse Details
    are you asking about what version of the hack to test, or something to shoot with what you've installed? im guessing the former, which would lead me to have you start here:

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq
    C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
    www.DarrenLevine.com

3. Collapse Details
    Naturally, I suggest my own Sanity X

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...iion-of-Sanity

It meets all of your above requirements. What sets Sanity apart is its ability to provide the top visual quality you would expect, but at significantly lower bitrates than other hacks. You save on card space and hard drive space, and don't sacrifice anything in terms of quality.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post

It meets all of your above requirements. What sets Sanity apart is its ability to provide the top visual quality you would expect, but at significantly lower bitrates than other hacks. You save on card space and hard drive space, and don't sacrifice anything in terms of quality.
    Awesome! When I try the hack out I'll definitely try out Sanity first. It's pretty stable for shorter "takes" and such? I'm probably going to stick with stock for my wedding videography, but for narrative stuff I'll hack

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post

Ralph, I see Sanity mentioned a lot, Flowmotion mentioned quite a bit. What is your take on the pros/cons of the two? Also compared to the high bit rate Driftwood flavors that are out there, or something like the cBrandin 66 version (which I've used a lot)?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    Awesome! When I try the hack out I'll definitely try out Sanity first. It's pretty stable for shorter "takes" and such? I'm probably going to stick with stock for my wedding videography, but for narrative stuff I'll hack
    Sanity is exceptionally stable. And not just at 24P, but for the other shooting modes, as well. Sanity is also well suited for spanning, that is, continous recording until he card is full. There are a few exceptions if you use a class 10 SD card, so read the patch notes carefully. However, there are no restrictions if you a fast SD card. Sandisk 64GB 95M, 80M and 45M cards have all been successful at spanning in Sanity X.

One thing you should not overlook is the use of the 24L setting. This is actually the 24H setting from Sanity 5.1 which was (and still is) very popular. The bitrate is about twice stock and the quality is amazing. This would be good for weddings. Actually, I've used it on features and everybody's been very happy.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Farnes View Post
    Ralph, I see Sanity mentioned a lot, Flowmotion mentioned quite a bit. What is your take on the pros/cons of the two? Also compared to the high bit rate Driftwood flavors that are out there, or something like the cBrandin 66 version (which I've used a lot)?
    Yes, I have tested Flowmotion and Driftwood's Moon T7, and they are indeed excellent in terms of picture quality. The truth is all of them (including Sanity X) are knocking on the limits of what the GH2 can put out. I can say that with some authority because I have the capability to record the uncompressed HDMI out, and I can compare that to the various hacks. We're at the point where there's no meaningful difference between them. Thay are all superb.

So to me, the main advantage of Sanity is you can get that ultimate picture quality with less bitrate. In fact, that's the main reason I developed it in the first place. Nobody else seemed to be taking that approach. Also, stability was very important to me. I had to have something that I could rely on.

From what I've read, the other hacks are stable now, too, although I haven't tested them for that. All told, the state of the GH2 hack is mature. There's an abundance of riches out there. Use whatever yanks your crank!
    Last edited by Ralph B; 02-19-2014 at 09:28 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks. How is the 720p60 on the Sanity X hack?

Also - I don't think I ever updated the firmware on my GH2, do I need to do that before using Sanity X?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Farnes View Post
    Thanks. How is the 720p60 on the Sanity X hack?

Also - I don't think I ever updated the firmware on my GH2, do I need to do that before using Sanity X?
    720p is excellent. One of my goals was to have excellent picture quality in all the shooting modes.

No, you don't have to update your firmware before applying a hack. The hack IS a modification of the updated firmware. Remember that BIN file you have to load into ptools? That file is the updated firmware, straight from Panasonic.

10. Collapse Details
    Ralph another friend just recommended Sanity running at 66mbps. Can you do that with Sanity X?

Thanks for any help!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast