Thread: War Games

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Great locations / set. I enjoyed the opening shot- lots of production design and great moments in there. I like how that told a lot of the backstory without needing to have any expositional dialogue, text, or voice over. It was a good story telling element.

If I were to critique anything, it would be that the story felt a bit rushed and cut short. I know this is only 6 minutes, but the beginning was setup so well, that I was expecting more from the plot and story as a whole. It felt like it was going somewhere and then it cut to credits.
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

2. Collapse Details
    Even though I wasn't a big fan of some of the lighting, I thought the set design was magnificent. Some decent choreographer too.

3. Collapse Details
    Love that opening. Very cool. And the hard work on the set speaks for itself. Very nicely done.

4. Collapse Details
    Nice opening shot -- goes on maybe a little long? But gets you right into the story. Hands down my favorite part of the piece was the 2nd shot, beginning over the light hanging down and craning down behind the guy tied to the chair. Such a great shot. I'll agree with the prior post that I wanted some more depth to the story -- nothing really happened that shifted my expectations, and I didn't really have any reason to root for the guy tied to the chair. I'll also echo that the set was obviously sweet -- all your hard work on that paid off. Nice job

5. Collapse Details
    Sheesh Im going to sound like a parrot here. Set this up nicely. The whole time I was in the basement I was aware of the bigger picture of where they were based on how you set it up. Well done.

Such a nice set you built and the value of that really shone through. The location felt authentic and real. Good stuff team Zach.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Keaton View Post
    Where'd you film all the weapons?
    That shot was in the same warehouse that I built the set in, just a different part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan E. Walters View Post
    Great locations / set. I enjoyed the opening shot- lots of production design and great moments in there. I like how that told a lot of the backstory without needing to have any expositional dialogue, text, or voice over. It was a good story telling element.

If I were to critique anything, it would be that the story felt a bit rushed and cut short. I know this is only 6 minutes, but the beginning was setup so well, that I was expecting more from the plot and story as a whole. It felt like it was going somewhere and then it cut to credits.
    Thanks Ryan! I have been making a list of notes for future shoots and will definitely add your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulroc View Post
    Even though I wasn't a big fan of some of the lighting, I thought the set design was magnificent. Some decent choreographer too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequilawoo View Post
    Love that opening. Very cool. And the hard work on the set speaks for itself. Very nicely done.
    Quote Originally Posted by zucked View Post
    Nice opening shot -- goes on maybe a little long? But gets you right into the story. Hands down my favorite part of the piece was the 2nd shot, beginning over the light hanging down and craning down behind the guy tied to the chair. Such a great shot. I'll agree with the prior post that I wanted some more depth to the story -- nothing really happened that shifted my expectations, and I didn't really have any reason to root for the guy tied to the chair. I'll also echo that the set was obviously sweet -- all your hard work on that paid off. Nice job
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Sheesh Im going to sound like a parrot here. Set this up nicely. The whole time I was in the basement I was aware of the bigger picture of where they were based on how you set it up. Well done.

Such a nice set you built and the value of that really shone through. The location felt authentic and real. Good stuff team Zach.
    I appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you guys!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Philip Nelson View Post
    Zach! Woohoo! I love it! Excellent short, the intro really works, your set looks fantastic and there's some good acting in here. I'll have some critique but I need to watch it again, the most obvious is you needed better sound fx on the hits (you should still add these before putting this up on vimeo or youtube). All in all a super solid entry, I hope everyone watches it!
    Thanks Shawn! Sound FX are so important! I will work on that. =)

8. Collapse Details
    As expected, your set was awesome! It really helped create a cool mood and atmosphere.

Awesome opening shot. Very cool idea and I thought you pulled it off really well as we moved through that warehouse.

This was an ambitious short, lots of action and fighting. I think if you cut it a bit tighter, more angles and shorter cuts, it will pack more punch.

Best of luck in the Fest!

9. Collapse Details
    Echo most of the above. I thought the fight lacked impact. The actors were moving too slowly and the cutting and SFX needed to be ramped up. The fight needed intensity and it just wasn't there.

Great job on the set, costumes and props.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

10. Collapse Details
    Nice one Zach. Just to echo everyone else, your production design was phenomenal. Opening shot was cool. Sound needs a few tweaks and there were some slight continuity issues with the blood, but no big deal. Overal a solid entry.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast