Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Gini Rigs Go Proprietary....
    First - Gini rigs & cages are good quality items, and usually available at good prices.

However.

The beauty of DSLR rig parts is that they are usually highly interchangeable - rods from this one, a camera plate from that one, handles from another one...etc. etc.

That beng so, there is nothing that is as 'standard' as the 1/4-20 thread - used for camera mounting, accessory monting, you name it. *everything* has the 1/4-20 thread.

Except the latest generation of Gini cages.

The one delivered to me had no standard threads at all (except one for mounting the camera) In their place were an array of smaller 10-24 holes. Lots of them - and every single one completely useless for mounting standard accessories (which, after all, is the whole reason for buying a DSLR cage)

When I contacted Gini, I had the rare priveledge of a reply - which was to inform me that he was about to produce 'adaptors' to enable those 10-24 threads to accept 1/4-20 accessories.

Whoopee! - extra costs, extra weight, extra faffing about - but extra profit for Gini....

All of his current cages appear to be cming with these non-standard holes - so, watch out if you order one.

2. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Wow, that's a major disappointment. I had Gini on my list. I'm scratching it off. Bummer.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the heads up, this should be a sticky!

4. Collapse Details
    that sucks - a lot

5. Collapse Details
    Perhaps the best plan would be to contact him and ask for an asurance that your cage will have some 1/4-20 holes.

In my case, the ebay photo did show the 1/4 holes - but the delivered item had none.

I have raised an ebay dispute, and I daresay I'll be able to send it back - but I've already paid extra import duty, and then there's the cost of sending it back to Korea from the UK (which I don't think I'll get refunded)

All in all, Gini has me over a barrel.

The really annoying thing is that he must still have a supply of 'old' cage plates with the necessary 1/4 holes. I asked him to send just one (the bottom plate dodn't matter). He could have sent it by Korea post at very little cost - but after telling me about his forthcomng thread adaptors, Gini just ignored me.

Shame, because as I said previously, it's a really nice cage - but useless with those non-standard accessory threads.

6. Collapse Details
    That is a shame.

7. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    I think the news of this should be spread far and wide. Hopefully, if he experiences a dramatic drop in sales, he'll reconsider. Or, if he does not, perhaps a competitor can spring up who has sense enough not to go the customer hostile and doomed proprietary way a la Sony, and take the sales from those who now refuse to deal with Gini Rig. Hit him in the pocket book, and hard. Spread the word. Boycott Gini Rigs as long as this nonsense goes on. Customers speak the loudest with their wallets.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    I think the news of this should be spread far and wide. Hopefully, if he experiences a dramatic drop in sales, he'll reconsider. Or, if he does not, perhaps a competitor can spring up who has sense enough not to go the customer hostile and doomed proprietary way a la Sony, and take the sales from those who now refuse to deal with Gini Rig. Hit him in the pocket book, and hard. Spread the word. Boycott Gini Rigs as long as this nonsense goes on. Customers speak the loudest with their wallets.

+1

9. Collapse Details
    this is just terrible to hear. Many of us praised him so much until now. can anyone else confirm this with a recent gini purchase?

10. Collapse Details
    Wow that's just... dumb!
    If it ain't broke, why fix it?
    Furthermore, why in the hell is he making going to make you purchase the 1/4" adapter instead of the other way around? (1/4" to whatever his proprietary size is)
    That way the user would have the option as to whether or not it's worth dishing it out.

Looks like a blatant money grab to me.
    What a shame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast