Adobe Premiere

Yeah, I think it looks awesome. So many great additions. It's like a huge step beyond what FCP8 would have been. They've done a great job at listening to all the old FCP7 users that migrated over while incorporating functionalities of their other programs right within Premiere. Much better mac support too (speed/GPU accelerated) which is awesome. Here's some great links to what's coming:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/04/the-next-version-of-premiere-pro.html

http://www.creativeimpatience.com/nab-special-release-premiere-pro/

http://www.retooled.net/?page_id=64

Can't wait!

The Cloud membership is a little unnerving still to me but if I'm using premiere and want the latest version it's the only way.

The Cloud membership is a little unnerving still to me but if I'm using premiere and want the latest version it's the only way.

Thats why I am not going to use it…..I think Adobe is making a big mistake with this….Yeah, yeah I know, I know - the bold future and all of that….

The cloud subscription is a great deal. $49/month gets you the full creative suite package, any of their programs you want and you download and install them just like a one time purchase. It would take 4 years of subscriptiion fees to pay the full suite purchase price and that does not include any upgrades, the subscription does. The cloud license allows for installation on two machines just like the one time purchase license and you can even mix Apple and PC versions if you want to.

I've been on the cloud for a year now and had no problems.

it is the way everything is going.

Awesome for you if you like it. I switched to Adobe CS6 from FCP 7 after the FCP X debacle.
If they go over to 'the cloud' for all new updates they will be losing me as a customer.
I'm voting with my software dollars against the 'rent' approach. Too many times that I'm
off the grid longer than I can be with 'the cloud'.

Yeah, I think it looks awesome. So many great additions. It's like a huge step beyond what FCP8 would have been. They've done a great job at listening to all the old FCP7 users that migrated over while incorporating functionalities of their other programs right within Premiere. Much better mac support too (speed/GPU accelerated) which is awesome. Here's some great links to what's coming:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/04/the-next-version-of-premiere-pro.html

http://www.creativeimpatience.com/nab-special-release-premiere-pro/

http://www.retooled.net/?page_id=64

Can't wait!

specifically for the Mac what support is being offered for instance on a macpro's GPU's which is basically ATI unless you go with the either the shaky Quadro 4000 or a macvidcard which has proven to be maybe the best way to go to get nVideo CUDA. any support though for instance the ATI 5870?

thanks
david

Awesome for you if you like it. I switched to Adobe CS6 from FCP 7 after the FCP X debacle.
If they go over to 'the cloud' for all new updates they will be losing me as a customer.
I'm voting with my software dollars against the 'rent' approach. Too many times that I'm

The option to purchase the Premiere suite is still available.

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications?

Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications?

Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

So the answer is yes you need ongoing Internet access to use your creative cloud membership.
You must connect every 30 days. For me that makes it a definite no go. I'm under no delusions that
I'm in the majority here. For most urban living people it will be fine. I'm going to choose not to
support this type of approach with my dollars.

I was a huge CS6 advocate and fan, the only thing that's turned me off Adobe as of late is the fact they are releasing new versions every 6 months. If they don't slow that down, they will lose their fan base who would rather spend less more often in my opinion.

I was a huge CS6 advocate and fan, the only thing that's turned me off Adobe as of late is the fact they are releasing new versions every 6 months. If they don't slow that down, they will lose their fan base who would rather spend less more often in my opinion.

It depends. If you're a cloud member, that works to your benefit. If not, I can see how that would irk users.

Adobe have effectively been updating their suite annually. This has been to their great benefit, as the reason they were able to catch FCP and ultimately exceed it is because of this continuous stream of updates (while FCP users had almost nothing in the way of an update).

*kaizen

Yes its a double edged sword for sure. For example, I'm dying right now for XAVC support for my F55.

Enough of my bickering. So when is the next version of CS6 planned anyway?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Erik Naso

Thats why I am not going to use it…..I think Adobe is making a big mistake with this….Yeah, yeah I know, I know - the bold future and all of that….
I echo all this. I went to their booth and asked some questions like this.

Me: Do I need to be connected to the internet to use the newest version?
Adobe: No. This is a great deal for $29 a month. (a small sales pitch)
Me: Well my NLE computer lacked internet access. How do I get the latest version?
Adobe: you download it.
me: Wait I just told you I lack internet access for my computer.
Adobe: do you have internet access on any other computer?
me: yes
Adobe: Well download the software and transfer the file to your NLE and just install it.
me: this sounds great.
--Pause for me to think--
me: What if I cancel my subscription?
Adobe: no problem
me: So I can continue to use the software?
Adobe: It will stop working completely.
me: How will it stop working? The computer is not connected to the internet so it won't know I cancelled.
Adobe: The software needs to access Adobe on the internet to verify every month.
me:wait you just told me my NLE does not need to be connected to the internet.
Adobe: It doesn't, it just need to be connected once a month.
me: so you lied to me about needing to be connected to internet?
Adobe: no response
(I dropped their handouts and left)

As another poster mentioned it's a great deal -- assuming -- your buying it new verses getting an update version price.
Other note is I often skipped versions since most updates lacked any valuable difference for me.

Yes its a double edged sword for sure. For example, I'm dying right now for XAVC support for my F55.

Enough of my bickering. So when is the next version of CS6 planned anyway?

CS7 is to come this May. From what I've seen, they have done a number of interesting meat & bones functional updates.

I echo all this. I went to their booth and asked some questions like this.

Me: Do I need to be connected to the internet to use the newest version?
Adobe: No. This is a great deal for $29 a month. (a small sales pitch)
Me: Well my NLE computer lacked internet access. How do I get the latest version?
Adobe: you download it.
me: Wait I just told you I lack internet access for my computer.
Adobe: do you have internet access on any other computer?
me: yes
Adobe: Well download the software and transfer the file to your NLE and just install it.
me: this sounds great.
--Pause for me to think--
me: What if I cancel my subscription?
Adobe: no problem
me: So I can continue to use the software?
Adobe: It will stop working completely.
me: How will it stop working? The computer is not connected to the internet so it won't know I cancelled.
Adobe: The software needs to access Adobe on the internet to verify every month.
me:wait you just told me my NLE does not need to be connected to the internet.
Adobe: It doesn't, it just need to be connected once a month.
me: so you lied to me about needing to be connected to internet?
Adobe: no response
(I dropped their handouts and left)

As another poster mentioned it's a great deal -- assuming -- your buying it new verses getting an update version price.
Other note is I often skipped versions since most updates lacked any valuable difference for me.

I just pissed my pants reading this.

The cloud is really the only way I can afford the creative suite. To me it seems like I'm getting a good deal out of it considering the instant access to the new versions.

... I'm under no delusions that
I'm in the majority here. ----- I'm going to choose not to
support this type of approach with my dollars.

My 2 cents:

It's not a good move for me.
I still have and use CS3 and CS4 on my“old” laptops.
With their move to the cloud I would lose that option.
I can update Master Suite for a little less than $600 and I own it.
$50 times 12 is 600 and once I stop paying I have nothing.

I like options and I like Adobe but the subscription gives up true ownership for the promise of quick updates.

The real question is when will Adobe roll out “subscription only” updates and features and stop any updates to owners...
Based on Muse and Edge I think it's only a matter of time before they do.

Back