Teaser trailer for Australian horror feature film being shot on Canon HV20

McBain

Hi everybody,

I've been a proud HV20 owner/user since 2007 and a couple of years ago I decided it was time to try to make a feature film on the little sucker. I wrote a script entitled "Throwback" -- a horror/adventure tale inspired by '70s bigfoot movies and jungle adventure flicks like "The Most Dangerous Game" -- and started shooting it last year. Right now, we're about 70% of the way through filming and I'm proud to share with you all the movie's first teaser trailer:

There's also a brief info page about the movie here which will gradually be expanded and updated over time: http://www.travisbain.com.au/throwback.htm

Now for the technical details. The movie is being filmed on a Canon HV20 (duh) with a Rode shotgun mic mounted straight on the camera. I'm recording 1440x1080 25psf to Sony professional HDV tapes and editing everything in Adobe Premiere Pro. I'm colour grading with Magic Bullet and plan to use Adobe Soundbooth to do the eventual sound mix. Half the time I shoot off a Manfrotto tripod and the other half I shoot handheld using a monopod for stability. You can get great tracking shots with a monopod once you get the hang of it. It's like a poor man's Steadicam. Filter-wise, I'm really just using a neutral density and occasionally a Tiffen Ultra Contrast filter to flatten out the contrast in bright daylight scenes. Most of the time, I'm shooting wide open and zooming in slightly from a distance to get a shallower depth of field. For some shots, I'm shooting 1080i and converting the footage to slow-motion in post, and it looks really nice (see the guy-falling-in-the-water shot towards the end of the teaser trailer). Whenever I shoot low-light footage and there's noise, I just zap it out with the Virtualdub Neat Video plugin (www.neativdeo.com), which is awesome. I'm also using a Kodak ZX3 waterproof camera to get some underwater shots for the movie and shots close to the water that are too risky for the HV20.

Anyway, I hope you all like my teaser trailer. A full trailer will follow later in 2012 and the movie itself (which will run about 90 minutes) is due for completion sometime in 2013.

Enjoy!
McBain

Hey guys, to read more about "Throwback" and eyeball some brand-new stills, check out this cool article that's just appeared online: http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php/2012/06/13/an-aussie-sasquatch/

We've had some really productive days of filming lately which have taken us up to about the 75-80% completed mark. I figure at this rate we'll probably wrap production by about August/September. Post is going well, too, and should be done by about April 2013. In the meantime, some video production diaries and stills will appear soon on the movie's Facebook page.

McBain

Third "Throwback" behind-the-scenes video now online, showcases camera gear

Third "Throwback" behind-the-scenes video now online, showcases camera gear

Hey guys,

There's a brand-new behind-the-scenes video now online for my upcoming horror thriller "Throwback." The 13-minute video not only introduces one of the actors behind the creature mask, but it also showcases the production equipment I've been using for the movie, so if you're interested in seeing the making of a 2.35:1 feature film on a Canon HV20, check out the BTS:

The movie's official website has also been given a makeover (http://www.travisbain.com.au/throwback.htm) and you can also check us out on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/throwbackmovie).

As usual, I welcome any questions, technical or otherwise, any of you might have about my experience making this movie on a 5-year-old HDV camera.

Cheers,
McBain

Very strange, how is it possible to create a movie with hv20? I do not understand at all

Did you record with an external recorder?

Last edited:
You're replying to posts that are more than 11 years old. The people on this thread are probably either dead or selling iphone cases at a kiosk in the mall.

You're replying to posts that are more than 11 years old. The people on this thread are probably either dead or selling iphone cases at a kiosk in the mall.

It is clear from the date of the posts, which is related to before, but the topic of the question is still there...

Back