KINEFINITY KineMINI 4K & KineMAX 6K cameras

S.Blanchardon

Looks like Kinefinity just dropped 2 new bombs :

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=23872

A 4K mini camera, premium package is under 6K$

A 6K, up to 30fps, 50fps@4K (cropped sensor ?). Impressively rated at 16stops @4K and 14 stops @6K !

Slo-mo 100fps @2K.

Seems to record on on-board (proprietary ?) SSD, no mention of the external 6K recorder that was mentioned a few months ago.

First presentation at NAB.

Complementary informations on Newsshooter website :

http://www.newsshooter.com/

Both are Super35 sensors and the 6K one can apparently do 16 stops and 14 bits bit depth in 3K via pixel binning.

Records compressed DNG on 1 and uncompressed DNG on 2 on-board SSD's.

No mention of a global shutter sensor nor any price indication.

Hope they can delver.

The pricing is very compelling but those product pictures are 3d renderings so........

"The premium package including two 64GB mags seems to be $5823."

Wow, that's a great package deal, including the two 64gb mags. 2k 100 fps for slo mo. very nice.

Looks like Kinefinity just dropped 2 new bombs :

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=23872

A 4K mini camera, premium package is under 6K$

A 6K, up to 30fps, 50fps@4K (cropped sensor ?). Impressively rated at 16stops @4K and 14 stops @6K !

Slo-mo 100fps @2K.

Seems to record on on-board (proprietary ?) SSD, no mention of the external 6K recorder that was mentioned a few months ago.

First presentation at NAB.

"Rated" and reality are two different things. Reliability is another issue. Taking responsibility for using some weird cam on a project, if anything goes wrong, is yet another. If an Arri or a Red goes down on set (or Sony, or Canon) no one will say "Well it's your fault for using some obscure camera to save a few bucks."

Then there's the quality of the color science (so far what I have seen has been terrible) 3rd party support, etc. etc.

Then there's the quality of the color science (so far what I have seen has been terrible) 3rd party support, etc. etc.

+1

The feature set sounds nice, but the colours I've seen out of their cameras so far have been pretty woeful - and that's from raw footage.

It seems like an ok camera, but not that attractive really. I mean the colour science won't be up to par, and I've read they've been having problems with changing sensor calibrations and debayering programs. Resolution wise it'll probably do fine, but workflow and colour should be enough of a nightmare that it becomes a question as to whether or not it's actually worth it.

I think it is good news. Remember not long ago, when RED started it was called as a scam. The RED one initially had its share of issues. Why RED One even Epic. I think these Kinefinity guys are serious. It would be good times indeed with more camera manufacturers innovating and pushing the existing players to up their game.

I think it is good news. Remember not long ago, when RED started it was called as a scam. The RED one initially had its share of issues. Why RED One even Epic. I think these Kinefinity guys are serious. It would be good times indeed with more camera manufacturers innovating and pushing the existing players to up their game.
I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

They won't have the advantage of a lack of alternatives unfortunately. RED fulfilled a need, which allowed it to establish itself. It may take a while before these guys are really ready. I hope they succeed though, because it seems like a great project to have go well for the market at large.

Yes, at this stage in the game execution is front and center. People gave Red and even BM a wide berth because they really wanted the products due to nothing of its kind in the price bracket. If you stumble now I don't think there would be much forgiveness.

I have a question about color science...why it matters? when we have raw and we can do with color anything we want?

They won't have the advantage of a lack of alternatives unfortunately. RED fulfilled a need, which allowed it to establish itself. It may take a while before these guys are really ready. I hope they succeed though, because it seems like a great project to have go well for the market at large.

Unless it can perform as good as, or at least close to, RED cameras. But at a significantly lower price.

I have a question about color science...why it matters? when we have raw and we can do with color anything we want?

The color science is important in color matrix translation of the physical RGB filter color gamuts to CIE XYZ standardized color values that appear in the raw file. It is the CIE standard values that you can manipulate with raw.

Back