Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Wow Ryan!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR FILM! I love the BTS stuff, and you have a HUGE cast! Looks like a good sized production! Can't wait to see it man!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

2. Collapse Details
    holy smokes! I thought the old lady was actually... "Old". Wonderful make up! *slaps myself*

Good luck on the entry!

/j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

3. Collapse Details
    Oh, and yeah, looking forward to another great Durban score

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 235 Studios
    Thanks Ted, much appreciated. It has been fun to check in on your thread as well. Now that I have some more time, i can actually check out everyone's threads, and get to posting.
    Cool man! You see I got some new gear, then! I am starting to get decked out like you! (though I kinda miss my ladders!)

I am still planning to visit Oregon this summer.... I'll let you know when we firm up the details. Right now we are thinking the 2nd /early 3rd week in July.

Later!

Ted

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgen
    holy smokes! I thought the old lady was actually... "Old". Wonderful make up! *slaps myself*

Good luck on the entry!

/j

LOL! I'll let the makeup artist know. I was impressed with his work as well- he sure did make her look old.

When I was casting the part, I reviewed several head shots of people who were actually old, but none of them had the look I wanted. After seeing her head shots (Some of which she was dressed up as an old woman) I was sold, as she got the part. Thanks to the makeup department, she ended up looking the part.
    MY NEW PROFILE: Ryan E. Walters

Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Director of Photography
    www.ryanewalters.com - HD Indi-Filmmaking Blog - myspace.com/ryanewalters
    Specializing in HD Digital Cinematography

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice
    Oh, and yeah, looking forward to another great Durban score
    I always enjoy working with Justin- he does some amazing work. And I really appreciated his input on this one. When I began the production I though I had a clear vision on what I wanted for the score, then after the locked edit, I no longer had that same vision- so Justin was a great sport to put up with my general guidance ....

Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Director of Photography

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 235 Studios
    I always enjoy working with Justin- he does some amazing work. And I really appreciated his input on this one. When I began the production I though I had a clear vision on what I wanted for the score, then after the locked edit, I no longer had that same vision- so Justin was a great sport to put up with my general guidance ....
    Yep, I agree 100%... Some people work well with a basic idea, and then run creatively with it... Justin is one of those people...

And Ryan, I've always loved your cinematography and lighting, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the visuals here!

8. Collapse Details
    Hey Ryan,

I was thinking of the lessons we learned, and one that I thought of was to really give lighting some thought, especially when you're shooting with a 35mm adapter. Ryan rented me a 1200 watt HMI to use for our interiors, and it was a GODSEND. We were able to power it off of regular house power, and get the amount of light output that it would have taken 5 or 6kw's of tungsten to match. Plus, we were daylight balanced, which means no gels were needed. So, next time you go to budget for lighting, think seriously about renting lights like HMI's for certain scenes, they will save time and headaches, because you won't have so much head scratching on how you're going to get the exposure and look that you want. Having all of that light in one head also helps keep the heat down, since you're not using a bunch of lights, which in turn keeps the crew happy because they aren't all sweaty. Although I think Jodi was cold, and would have liked a bunch of lights. IIRC our main lights were the HMI, a Diva 400, and a 650 or 1kw fresnel, depending on the shot. The only thing I would have liked more, which would have doubled the cost of the HMI rental, would be a flicker free ballast.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice
    And Ryan, I've always loved your cinematography and lighting, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the visuals here!
    Thanks much appreciated. I enjoyed this shoot, and I learned a lot from it. After spending a lot of time editing it, now as I look back there were a couple of shots that I would have added, adjusted, or changed. But, over all I like it and I know what I learned will just further the next production I work on.

I enjoyed working with Patrick, he was a great gaffer to work with.

Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Director of Photography

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PDX_DVX
    Hey Ryan,

I was thinking of the lessons we learned, and one that I thought of was to really give lighting some thought, especially when you're shooting with a 35mm adapter. Ryan rented me a 1200 watt HMI to use for our interiors, and it was a GODSEND. We were able to power it off of regular house power, and get the amount of light output that it would have taken 5 or 6kw's of tungsten to match. Plus, we were daylight balanced, which means no gels were needed. So, next time you go to budget for lighting, think seriously about renting lights like HMI's for certain scenes, they will save time and headaches, because you won't have so much head scratching on how you're going to get the exposure and look that you want. Having all of that light in one head also helps keep the heat down, since you're not using a bunch of lights, which in turn keeps the crew happy because they aren't all sweaty. Although I think Jodi was cold, and would have liked a bunch of lights. IIRC our main lights were the HMI, a Diva 400, and a 650 or 1kw fresnel, depending on the shot. The only thing I would have liked more, which would have doubled the cost of the HMI rental, would be a flicker free ballast.
    Great point, I've added it to the Lessons learned section, as well as the following note:
    3. Editing- Give yourself time and lots of it.
    Something that helped me a lot on this project was the extended time I had to edit the short. Since I didn't have to spend the time writting a script, that gave me more time on the back end to edit the film. This helped me a lot, as I was able to edit the short, take a day off and then come back to it with fresh eyes. Sometimes you get so wrapped up in the edit that you loos track of the bigger picture. (At least I do, anyway.) So it was helpful to not be as pressured by a tight deadline, and be able to evaluate the edit properly. I still had to give myself a deadline, as the composer, sound designer, and VFX guys needed time to complete their end of the project, but at least I wasn't in as big of a rush as I have been in the past. I know that there are still tweaks that I could have made to tighten things up, but in the end you have to stop tweaking at some point and complete the film.

Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Director of Photography

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast