Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Compressor 3 and the HV20
    I just finished messing around with my friends copy of Final Cut Studio 2 and it is definitely worth it for us HV20 owners. No more of the AIC, cut the first few frames trick as previously outlined in the forums. With ProRes and Compressor 3 the process has been simplified. Just send the clip to Compressor, choose the ProRes 422 24p and then choose reverse telecine From the de-interlace dropdown menu located in the frame controls tab of the inspector. If you want you can also change the size and pixel aspect ratio in geometry. It looked great outputted as a 1920 x 1080 square pixel movie.
    i tested this by intentionally starting on the wrong frame for the cadence and compressor didnt care at all. One less step for real 24p.
    I did not have time to test this with a long clip that has a start stop break in the middle, but i will repost later after i had a chance to.

2. Collapse Details
    good to know. my FCS2 upgrades arrive tomorrow. i'll have a busy weekend.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

3. Collapse Details
    Great news Aldous. Thanks for sharing. I was on the fence about purchasing final cut studio 2, but now I will proceed. Question. What is the workflow you used to initially capture the footage from your canon hv 20. Did you capture in final cut first then use compressor 3 to remove the pulldown, etc.? If you could provide a quick step by step it would be really useful. There are so many threads floating around about this topic but really none using the FCS 2 since it just came out. Thanks again.

4. Collapse Details
    This is great news.

5. Collapse Details
    The workflow for the HV20 is really easy.

1 Shoot 24p with the HV20

2 Capture to Final Cut Pro using HDV out through the firewire

3 When all of the clips are in the bin you can export them straight to compressor.

4 In compressor i choose the preset for Apple ProRes 422 for progresive material HQ and leave all options on default except i enable the reverse telecine option.

5 Choose the output for the file or files and submit the batch for processing.

6 Re Import footage into Final Cut.

The revamp of compressor looks a lot different than the previous version, finding the preset and reverse telecine option may take a second. in the main window right click on the clip choose
    new target with setting - Apple - Other Workflows - Advanced Format Conversions - Apple Codecs - ProRes 422 for progresive material HQ
    Once You choose the output setting, if you double click the setting on the clip, an inspector window opens. There is a tab called Frame Controls, under that tab enable changes by clicking on the button. This will allow you to choose On in the field marked frame controls then toward the bottom there is a field marked deinterlace, there just choose Reverse Telecine from the dropdown menu.
    Next Choose Save As down at the bottom. and next time all you have to do is load your custom preset.

I know this sounds confusing without pictures of the interface, but it is actually very easy once you get orientated with the new layout of compressor.
    Although I have not tested anything more sophisticated I'm sure with automator you could do entire folders of media real quick.

I hope this helps.

6. Collapse Details
    One More Thing I forgot to mention.
    When you capture clips using log and capture, every time a cadence is broken a new clip is created. i' not sure if this is the same as the previous version since I bought my HV20 after my buddy already had FCS2. i just used DV before with FCS1.

7. Collapse Details
    Capture settings
    Do you initially capture your clips using Easy Setup 1080p60i or something other than that? Once you process the clips in Compressor 3 and save them, what preset do you then use to import them into FCP?

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah 1080 60i on import, but don't worry i had FCP setup for DV and it automatically detected HDV Coming out of the camcorder, and recorded it at 1080 60i HDV automatically. Then when i imported the footage back into Final Cut, I didn't worry about Easy Setups or presets. The first clip you drop into the timeline changes the timeline to match the clip this is a new feature in Final Cut 6. So don't worry about any settings except for Compressor. it is really easy i know My outlined steps look simplified but they are not, the new final cut really makes it easy.

9. Collapse Details
    Aldous - That's a super-helpful outline. Thanks for posting it.
    To help clarify for others who might be working through it for the first time, you need to enable "frame controls" in compressor to get access to the "reverse telecine" option. It's also a good idea to just duplicate the ProRes HQ preset, then modify it and save it as "HV20 - ProRes 24p" or something a little more specific.

10. Collapse Details
    Yes - FCP v1 also breaks the clips automatically between shots. But i didn't laydown a timecode on the HDV tape before shooting. My guess is that if you do, then it won't separate the clips.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast