Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What would you do if a friend broke your camera?
    Hi,

I was recently involved in a 48 hour film competition and during it, one of my friends broke my DVX100.

The way it happened was quite disappointing because I'd gone on an errand to get some equipment and I left my friend (who has a University degree in film studies) in charge of my camera.

Ten minutes later I was back and took over the use of the camera. The first thing I said as I started setting up for my first shot was "hey what the hell? The viewfinder's completely loose!" at which point my (almost former) friend managed a feeble "yeah it kinda fell off the tripod".

It was almost humiliating hearing this, as I stood with our cast of about 5 people. Apparently none of whom would have owned up to having seen the camera fall on the ground if I hadn't noticed anything wrong.

An apology wasn't forthcoming and the next thing I noticed was that the manual zoom ring had also been hit hard and had become slightly oval. This means that when zooming it becomes "sticky" at a certain point. The servo motor no longer works after you're about half way zoomed in.

So basically, the camera is almost still fully functional, except for an extremely flimsy viewfinder and a dodgy zoom.

It's so frustrating because just before I left, I said "BE CAREFUL with my camera, DON'T use that tripod". Which is ironic because there is nothing wrong with the tripod he used, I just wanted him to use my other tripod which was superior for doing panning shots etc.

My first question is, are either of these problems fixable?

Second question is, if so, how much is it likely to cost?

He's f**king useless. It wasn't till days later that he said sorry and hasn't even offered to pay for getting it repaired.

2. Collapse Details
    wow...that's a tough situation. if he was a really good friend, i supposed he would have offered in some way to help you with any costs. in all fairness, unless you had something in writing about the liability of your equipment during production (friends usually don't) then you could be partly responsible since you left your camera in the care of others. so...as far as fixing the problems with your dvx, i'd suggest to sell it while you can and spend the money you would use to fix it to upgrade to an hvx. suggest to your friend that you would like for him to contribute to some of the costs. i mean...he doesn't have to pay for half, but at least a little something to show some compassion, right? well...whatever way it goes...i wish you luck and if all else fails, just live and learn. we've all gone through something similar at one point or another, so just consider yourself lucky that it wasn't worse.
    yeah...but do you remember Goldar?

3. Collapse Details
    Are you sure this guy is a "friend" ???

I had a similar scenario play out not ago with a $2k Zeiss lens... buddy of mine dropped it and cracked the glass. I didn't even know about it until a courier showed up a few hours later to deliver a replacement he ordered. He had called a local shop and ordered a used one that was even in slightly better condition than mine was in.

That's what I would expect any friend to do. If the friend was short on cash flow, I would at least expect an honest apology and some effort to help replace it. Not doing so is just disrespectful!

Sounds more like this guy is just a scrub... hanging around you to use your gear. Dude, I've have to shake a lot of those off lately.

Tip... give your "friends" a good rental rate, but never loan out your gear. =-)

4. Collapse Details
    I would get what money you can from him then don't have him back.

Next time let someone else run the errands.

5. Collapse Details
    yah man a good friend would definatly try to correct the situation right away, s*%t happens to everyone. I crashed my buddys motorcycle, without any issue i offered to fix it all right away and i felt so bad.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanharry
    wow...that's a tough situation.
    Not really. Send it to Panosonic and get a written quote for repair costs, then send that off to your friend and tell him that's how much he owe's you.

If he won't pay, you're sh!t out of luck, pay it yourself and never leave your camera unattended again.

Bum deal, but like someone else said... sh!t happens.

-brown

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    When ever we finihs a shoot and go get dinner, the HVX is literally in my hand the whole time. I dont trust anyone with my gear as far as i can throw them. Lesson learned i take it.? Dont trust ANYONE with your gear. unless its fully insured and theres a full cash deposit.......
    Director of Photography
    www.timurcivan.com www.tstopcinema.com 917-589-4424
    Visit my blog: T.stops : <- click here
    "He who thinks interms of catching mice, will never catch Lions."

8. Collapse Details
    or u konw the ppl who are taking care of it are 110% responsible and have no problems taking care of it if somthign should happen. BUt yes, insurance is important cuz "s*%t does happen"

9. Collapse Details
    insurance is a nice thing to have too.

10. Collapse Details
    insurance is great , I had the mic snap of my 100b and I could not get it back in , I took it to the shop I got it at and they fixed it for free
    Jdmoviemaker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast