Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Controlling Exposure on the HV20: Walkthroughs and Tutorials.
    Several folks have put togethor their own little walkthroughs and tutorials, etc. on how to do this, so I figured we'll just go ahead and get them all in one place for easy reference.

Barry's article/write-up:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=96502

And, thanks to jenningsp for this little video tutorial:
    http://hv20.info/yopu/hv20aperturecontrol.mov

Thanks folks.
    Jason

If there are any other helpful ones, post them below and I will add them above.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

2. Collapse Details
    Jason, that link I posted is the same one as linked to from the HV20.com site by jenningsp :-)

3. Collapse Details
    oops. Thanks.

Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

4. Collapse Details
    learning is fun
    Patrick Jennings
    Melbourne, Australia
    patrickjennings.com.au

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks a lot for the great tutorials and valuable information. I just wanted to give you a hint that has been useful for me. Instead of using the "cellular trick" to get the desired initial exposure I use the built-in led light reflected on the palm of my hand. Just try different distances until you get the exposure you want (ie: 1.8, 1/48 shutter)
    Last edited by dmoreno; 05-21-2007 at 07:22 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Does this only work for Cinemode or can one use this technique in TV mode also?

7. Collapse Details
    What confuses me is why would you want to.

No gain is important but all these techniques get rid of gain by underexposing the image don't they?

These methods would be good to controling the settings if you are also in control of lighting.

Am I right in thinking that in difficult lighting you decide between a grainy image and an underexposed one?

I understand that if you can't control the lighting you have to compromise but I was wondering if people are getting real world benefits from these changes or if this is really just a technical exercise without real application.

Sorry for the long post. And I am not being negative. I think the advice people offer on here is invaluable I am just struggling to understand the best was to approach this (I have no lights).

Is this advice just not for me?
    I don't think you should feel about a film. You should feel about a woman, not a movie. You can't kiss a movie.

Jean-Luc Godard

8. Collapse Details
    My opinion is, if there is a need to digitally enhance the picture I could still do that in my NLE.
    Maybe I only need to add "digital light" to a few spots and the rest is fine.

Since my stupid Nokia 6230i doesn´t want to stay lit long enough I´m thinking about other way. Maybe a sheet of white paper with a flashlight behind it. All tricks are hard to do with a single pair of hands.

If it is possible to take a laptop with Firewire with you, you can also use the HDV Data Monitor. The tool is written for Sony HDV cams and sometimes doesn´t interpret the Shutter speed right on Canons, but it shows you the gain settings.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I found out about Barry's article after I wrote my own. His article seems to garner quite a reputation in HV20 world. He admits that there is an "easy way" with a memory card, but still tries to figure out predictable aperture measurements/settings using "hard way". Why? Beats me. 2GB memory card costs mere $20, not worth going the "hard way".

I have a different take on the whole "manual exposure control" issue. The difference is that I own the Elura 100, not the fancy HV20, but don't you worry, the principles are all the same throughout Canon camcorders and my friend got the HV20 so I played with it.

Basically, just read the articles at the links below, it is simpler than retyping them here on this forum:

http://www.elurauser.com/articles/light_meter.jsp
    http://www.elurauser.com/articles/manual_mode.jsp

You will learn:
    * How to read light meter measurements.
    * How to find out whether gain is elevated or not. I don't care about particular gain levels. (Oh, by the way, this small application reports gain, shutter speed, aperture and other stuff for your DV AVI footage: http://www.dvmp.co.uk/dv-media-player.htm I don't think it understands HDV though.)
    * How to change aperture manually while keeping shutter speed locked, and to be able to verify current settings.
    * How to calculate how many ND filters you need to open up iris while preserving current exposure (here "exposure" is indeed overall exposure, not aperture).

You might find my EXP/aperture table handy for calculations:

---
    Michael, Canon Elura User Pages
    Last edited by Cranky; 08-02-2007 at 08:54 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Is it okay to just leave the auto exposure on? I found that the lighting does change a bit as it adjusts with the auto exposure on. Is this okay, or should you always set the exposure manually?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast