Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Sticky this so we can end all these "is the HVX true 1080" posts please.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    It really appalls me when Sony reps slam the Varicam and say that it is not real high definition because it only shoots 720p. The truth is according to the United States Department of Defense the interlace format called 1080i is NOT a high definition format and should be called 540i because that is what more truthfully reflects the resolving capability of this interlace format. Although the Federal Communications Commission does indeed recognize 1080i as a legitimate high definition format it is only legitamite for use in the private sector and fails to meet the more rigorous military requirements for HDTV.

That being said we are left with only 2 formats that meet government DOD requirements and that is the 1080p and the 720p format. The 720p format will be superior to to 1080p because it is capable of 60 frames per secound and can handle motion much better. The 1080p format can capture fine detail better than 720p but it cannot handle motion as well because it is limited to 30 frames per secound. Soon cameras capable of 1080p at 60 frames per secound will become more readily available.

3. Collapse Details
    DOD? Is there more to the format wars than I'm aware of?

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    yea you know its funny, the big broadcast guys all seem to concede that 720 60p is the "highest" definition format avialable. Mainly because it retains so much image information during motion.

To test this, Today, i shot a buncha stuff with my HVX, 720-60p, 1080i, and 1080-24p. And it was kind of true. I showed my Dad, he said the 720p stuff while slightly less sharp, "showed better when you move the camera" The 1080i looks a little smeary when moving, and the 1080p, while RAZOR sharp, strobes. Do i suppose, depending on the application, each has its place. I can see the military wanting 720-60p cameras, to study moving objects. Filmmakers wanting 108024p, because of the resolution, and i suppose....... Sony wants 1080i just to be difficult. ;) Joking joking.... its a good compromise, between Sharp static shots, and minimal strobing. though it does smear a bit.

All was shot in 1/60th shutter. so the motion blur was the same.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Well yes there is indeed. It may seem very rude of the Department of Defense to criticize the interlace 1080i format but the fact remains that in combat situations inferior 1080i video quality could cause errors in judgement and could very well risk the lives of soldiers amd innocent civillians.

6. Collapse Details
    Huh, learn something new everyday. I bet they have some fun cameras....

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    1080i is not a compromise at all but rather a format that simply damages picture quality. For people that want the best fast action 720p shot at 60 frames per secound is the best format to shoot in. Contrary to popular opinion 720p is not extended definition but full high definition that outresolves 1080i. Filmakers who want the sharpest picture will choose 1080p at 24 frames per secound. The reason why Sony promotes the 1080i format does not have anything to do with picture quality but it is due to the fact that the 1080i format sells more cameras because consumers think they are getting full high definition. As soon as the 1080i format is renamed 540i sales of 1080i
    cameras will drop overnight and everyone will buy a 720p or 1080p camera.

Proponents of 1080i point out the fact that the interlace scanning has been the legacy of television broadcasting for decades. The fact is that interlace scanning is not only a wash today but it was a wash 50 years ago and it never should have been invented. Had the NTSC originally chosen a progressive scanning format they would have had better picture quality even if they had to lower the resolution to fit the then available bandwidth. So all this stuff about that we have to wait for 1080p60 to make the switch to progressive is absolute nonsense.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by harddrive
    In a 3chip design they are optically in the same place (via the beam splitter) and hence each can't add extra resolution information relative to the other.
    Not to belabor the point but the fact is that the red and the blue chips in the HVX design are not in the same place. They are offset by half a pixel. It is a patented process by Matsushi*ta.

Best,

Jan
    Last edited by Jan_Crittenden; 09-27-2008 at 03:19 AM.
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

9. Collapse Details
    I tell you what - we oughta be able to say Matsus*%ta around here without being censored! What kind of bulls*%t is this!!!! LOL!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan_Crittenden
    Not to belabor the point but the fact is that the red and the blue chips in the HVX design are not in the same place. They are offset by half a pixel. It is a patented process by Matsushi*a.
    Jan - my understanding was that the RED and BLUE pixels were (optically) in the same place, whilst the GREEN pixels were offset from this by the half pixel shift.

If what you say is true, it begs the question of relative positioning of the green pixels. Are they then co-incident with the red or blue pixels? (Neither of which sounds like sensible design - whereas offsetting green from red/blue does.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast