Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    is the HVX true 1080?
    I had a workshop today on the XDCAM HD and they mentioned that the HVX didn't shoot in true 1080i and actually uprezzes to 1080i, is this true?

2. Collapse Details
    is the HVX true 1080?
    I had a workshop today on the XDCAM HD and they mentioned that the HVX didn't shoot in true 1080i and actually uprezzes to 1080i, is this true?

3. Collapse Details
    Well, yes that's true that the HVX200 isn't true 1080 but neither is the XDCAMS or even F900 for that matter.

4. Collapse Details
    Depends on what you mean.

The CCDs are not 1920x1080. But that's not the same as saying it doesn't shoot 1080.

The pixels on the CCD do not correspond 1:1 to pixels in an image. The CCD is an analog, monochrome devices meant only to capture light. The magic happens in the processing of the light.

Functionally, the HVX shoots everything as 1080 first and then downrezzes to the other resolutions.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

5. Collapse Details
    Probably referring to the CCD size being less than 1080x1920, I forget what the actual pixel res is though. So yes, very true. Sure is pretty though

6. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    No its not true. It shoots 1080P infact, not 1080i. EVERY mode it shoots starts in 1080p and is downressed.

The lower pixel count chips is the result of a engineering technique. essentially think of it as a "one chip" 1920x1080 CCD, broken into three chips for the sake of Chroma seperation. ( the one chip cameras have lower resolution counts for each color too. the luma signal is composited from these chroma samples. the HVX 200 IS a 1080 camera. Its just that the chip array is GENIUS. the XDcam guys were just down talking the competition.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

7. Collapse Details
    No it isn't true. "uprezzing" refers to digital interpolation. That's what Sony does with the V1U. The HVX uses spatial offset to create an actual 1920x1080 sampling array off the chips.

8. Collapse Details
    OK, forgive my ignorance, but if the chips are not the native resolution that they are supposed to reproduce, what's the difference? It's technically "uprezzing" no matter what. It's making up resolution that is not there, one way or another. So what am I missing?

9. Collapse Details
    All I want to know is, whatever the process the HVX uses is it better or worse than what the F900 or the F350 does?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by smpproductions
    All I want to know is, whatever the process the HVX uses is it better or worse than what the F900 or the F350 does?
    It's an ambiguous question. If you're talking about effective resolution then there's no way the HVX can even come close to either the F350 or the F900 (those are more than 10x the price for a reason). Even if you somehow define a process as being "better" in theory, you still have to look at how it's being implemented and the end results is what counts.
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast