1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic BT-LH2600 vs JVC DT-V24L1DU
    Panasonic BT-LH2600 and JVC DT-V24L1DU

Now that NAB 2007 has ended, I am hoping someone can express observations from viewing these two monitors at the show.

- The Panasonic has Waveform monitor, JVC does not. (I have DV Rack, which is actually referencing, via firewire, DVCProHD, not uncompressed Component HD).

- The JVC has pixel for pixel 1080 (1920x1080), the Panasonic is (1366x768) and has a 1080 mode, pixel for pixel, part screen view at a time.

- The JVC promotes a 1000:1 Contrast Ratio and Brightness at 400cd/m2, the Panasonic?

Both these monitors have features I like. I mostly am interested in the one with best color rendition, best detail and representation of blacks. Intended use is at a shoot and for post mastering and color correction.

Feedback please. Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    I saw both the Panny and the JVC.

To me the JVC looked richer, but in the field it sure is nice to have the built-in waveform.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Matt. I have been leaning toward the JVC. I can get the Waveform from DV Rack, though more equipment to configure if shooting to P2.

What did you think of the BT-LH80? The Red Focus feature seems like a real good feature, especially if I am going to run/gun with the Brevis adapter.

Appreciate your feedback man.

4. Collapse Details
    The LH80 with the red focus assist is VERY nice.

For me though, I already have the Marshall HD monitor and love it, and it takes the Sony V-mount batteries I already own.

The Panny only has Anton Bauer for a battery mount, although it DOES have a standard 4-pin xlr power.

Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah, it is the Marshall or the Panasonic for me. I have a few 12v bricks I use, and was planning to mount on the rails, reduce overhead weight. Nebtec the alternative. Thanks.

6. Collapse Details
    I also went to NAB to help choose between the JVC and the Panasonic. Since I'm doing mostly 720P I was looking at the 20" JVC vs the 17" Pani. It was pretty tough to compare them, as you had to walk about 50 yards through people and screens and many other lights that dulled the senses to the differences between them. The JVC did seem to have darker blacks, and overall richer colors. One fellow attendant thought this could be partially due to the glossy finish on the JVC screen- which I thought might kinda suck in the field.

For me, looking to get something for both home and on shoots, the Panasonic still makes more sense. It's smaller, more portable, has waveform, and lists for a bit less than the 20" JVC with HD-SDI.

I'm also hoping to see them side by side before I plunk down the cash, but am not sure that will be possible. Hoping someone on the internet will be able to do that kind of review for us.

7. Collapse Details
    My impression of the JVC was that it produced very rich blacks which, as has been said, could be attributed to the glossy screen. The Panasonic is more versatile as a field monitor owing to power options, the wave form, and just smaller size. The JVC SDI models included embedded audio while that is an add-on accessory with the Panasonic. I tend to like the JVC as a studio monitor but I just think one could get more value from a monitor which is both field and studio suitable. It all depends upon your needs. Both deliver a lovely image.

Ned Soltz

8. Collapse Details
    Tom and Ned, thanks for this feedback, great info to consider.

The JVC glossy screen issue is a big problem for in the field. Whilst I would hood the monitor, I find that my laptop with a glossy screen is a real nightmare, even with a hood, using DV Rack in the field. There is always one of these types of hood designs, over say, this, which I use with the lappy.

Panasonic 2600 getting my interest again. I read JVC 1000:1 contrast ratio and an unconfirmed report of the Panasonic having 700:1. Panasonic Waveform is real handy, especially if I don't plan to have Laptop/DV Rack always connected and available, especially with the 16gig P2 cards coming soon . Thanks guys.

9. Collapse Details
    We have the 17" Panny monitor which is an excellent field monitor. However, be aware that the waveform monitor is a small display without clear calibration. It certainly is enough to be in the ballpark, but it's not exact. We use a Tektronix waveform/vectorscope in the field for critical measurement.