Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    RED Digital Cinema anounces small camera
    http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=36

Scarce for details. Still knew announcement. But this is my guess:

2K RAW at 60fps max. 2K RGB to 30fps. REDCODE at any resolution and framerate. 35mm sized sensor? It'd offer higher dynamic range and sensitivity than the RED ONE at that resolution so probably not. Unless, since it's RED, they don't care about it hurting sales. Also the RED ONE is capable of 4K.

Fixed lens? Interchangeable? I'm in the dark here but if I were forced to guess I'd say fixed lens with optional adapter for Cooke RED lenses and other lenses.

Smaller, built in EVF, what you'd expect from a prosumer camera.

$5,000-$7,000 perhaps?

What do you think?

EDIT:Barry just reminded me on page 4, RED also announced a 4K monitor and 4K projector. It's in the Studio Daily link too.
    Last edited by AuditoryVisuals; 04-17-2007 at 04:09 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Great find!

If it could shoot 1080p footage with a mysterium-like sensor (allowing for shallow depth of field if desired), RED has my money.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AuditoryVisuals
    what you'd expect from a prosumer camera.
    The quote I saw said it was a professional cam, not a prosumer cam. "No plastic" supposedly. It seems odd, though. I can't see them having developed a smaller chip, but putting a mysterium sensor in there would make it 4k, right? They don't seem to be the type to take someone else's sensor and put it in their cam, so I don't know what they're planning.

How's this for a wild guess: They must have some sensors that come off the line defective in some way. If a number of those have dead pixels, I can see them putting one of those sensors in (capturing at 4k), then downres in camera to average out the dead pixels and passing a 2k or lower res on to the record mechanism. Sound plausible?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    How's this for a wild guess: They must have some sensors that come off the line defective in some way. If a number of those have dead pixels, I can see them putting one of those sensors in (capturing at 4k), then downres in camera to average out the dead pixels and passing a 2k or lower res on to the record mechanism. Sound plausible?
    Would work but unlikely. First of all, they probably won't have 2k on their "Pocket" Camera. If they did want to re-use defective sensors, it would be more likely to crop out dead pixels and have a 100% clean image with a fixed lens matched to the cropped area. But all of this is unlikely as the production of the Pocket cam would be reliant on the percentage of faulty full size sensors. Its probably cheaper to make smaller sensors with a higher yeild cheaper per unit cost and predicable production flow.

5. Collapse Details
    I guess they might, but I'd bet they wont. They have too good a reputation to ship out small cams with flawed sensors. Just my 2 cents.

Chris Nuzzaco | Email: chris@chrisnuzzaco.com

6. Collapse Details
    Yea, I woulld think this would be a 1080P tops version of the RED offered for less money. I can't afford a RED, but this might be a possibility in the future.
    -Jonah Lee Walker

Whale of a Tale Productions
    Freelance Video Editing and Post Production

7. Collapse Details
    I can't see them limiting the camera in any way. Even if it's a defective sensor. It's just not RED. That's why my guess is a new sensor native at 2K and 16mm sized. Not 35mm sized because it'll have possibly better 2K than the RED ONE.

http://studiodaily.com/main/news/7981.html Looks like we will find out more in the coming weeks.

P.S been a long time since I discussed RED at DVXuser Brings back memories of last year.

8. Collapse Details
    I doubt that it will be 2k. Although the Red One can handle 4k, I think most users will be shooting 2K and below with it so a cheaper version of it will likely not be able to shoot 2k. Hell, it would be a much bigger disruption in the whole market than internal Red products competing. Can you imagine what a "cheaper" Red One Compact capable of 2k 4:4:4 would do to the bigger market

9. Collapse Details
    They would dominate. Much like the RED ONE in 4K 4:4:4. Why would they just shoot 2K and lower? 4K and downrez in REDCINE is the way to do it. But I see what you mean. But it won't hurt if it's just 2048x1080 instead of 1920x1080. Just a few hundred thousand more pixels never hurt.

Speaking of colour space, my guess is 4:4:4 2K.

10. Collapse Details
    Personally I think a 1080p RED with variable framrates could dominate.
    -Jonah Lee Walker

Whale of a Tale Productions
    Freelance Video Editing and Post Production

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast