Thread: Hpx500 ???

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyh1968
    Can we compare the HPX500 to the SDX900 ? - which is still highly popular among the ENG folk. SD to SD should they not be the same? Same chip set and pixel count and all?
    Yeah, good point. And the SDX was what when it came out? $26'000.00?
    Now we can get a similar cam WITH FULL HD & SD PAL ***AND*** SD NTSC recording on SOLID STATE for less than HALF????
    Awesome times!!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ddh
    I'm going to seriously consider an additional $10,000 throw down for Red!
    Of course, if you order now, you'll have the HPX550 in about two weeks. With Red, it's a wait until January of 2008.

3. Collapse Details
    ...in a best case scenario.

Back to the SDX comparison. I just rented the SDX last weekend. One day: $375 + $200 for the lens. What's up with that? Still a very popular camera I guess. So if the HPX rivals picture quality then maybe it will be just as popular for ENG? My concern is how many local post houses take P2. It seems many post facilities around here have not fully jumped on the P2/digital workflow bandwagon yet. And many clients (from here to NY) seem to prefer the medium size cassette tape when it comes down to it.
    Last edited by jonnyh1968; 04-18-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    The life clocks have no power on the outside.

4. Collapse Details
    Those packages are insane. We're lensing two of those and one HVX for a new travel series. The 200 promises to compliment the 500 nicely and the interchangability of recording media only makes things easier.

With these packages, and a good batching laptop and dual drives at basecamp and you're good to shoot a day's worth of footage.

e
    Erik Olson

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green
    If you can tell a difference, you've got better eyes than I do (other than the HPX500 having 1 stop more dynamic range than the HPX2000).

In Alaska I had the 16x Canon CAC with the doubler on it.
    Are you saying that the HPX500 is actually better than the HPX2000 (at least in dynamic range)?

Also, how do the CAC lenses compare to the more expensive non-CAC HD lenses?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by overlandfilms
    Those packages are insane. We're lensing two of those and one HVX for a new travel series. The 200 promises to compliment the 500 nicely and the interchangability of recording media only makes things easier.

With these packages, and a good batching laptop and dual drives at basecamp and you're good to shoot a day's worth of footage.

e
    I agree. $20k for a full package is incredible. Are you getting the CAC lenses? Let us know what you think of the picture quality.

7. Collapse Details
    I've been using the eHD lenses on the XDCams - but those were the 1/2 350s and appropriate lensing. I'll let you know.

e
    Erik Olson

8. Collapse Details
    I'm going for it
    Senior Member NorthernFilmMaker's Avatar
    I don't know about you guys, but i think i'm sold on this camera.... I was set on getting an XDcam F350, the complete package would have costed 50,000 Can, Tripod and cheap lens included. I didn't like the fact that i would need to drop about 26,000 can on a lens that would give me the telephoto reach and wide angle that i wanted. So i waited and then i saw this camera and it comes packaged with a lens & 4 X 16Gb Cards for about the price of the XDcam F350 body. with both the wide and telephoto lens that i need. (Fujinon 17X7.6 w/2X extender). I know, that the XDcam would probably give me more resolution than the HPX500 but, i'm planning to mainly shoot SD for the next while anyways...and later when all the HD stuff gets cheaper and more available, and possibly then it will be likely that most people will have High Definition TVs and Players then i can start to shoot and distribute in HD, but with this camera i will be ready when that happens. And just maybe, then we will be able to buy 64GB P2 cards for a decent price and then I can start to shoot 4 hours of DVCProHD in 1080 with the HPX, until then i think i will be mainly shooting DVCPro 50 and 720pN......
    Last edited by NorthernFilmMaker; 04-18-2007 at 05:57 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumfun
    Are you saying that the HPX500 is actually better than the HPX2000 (at least in dynamic range)?
    I'm saying that there are a few things the HPX500 does better than the HPX2000: dynamic range and variable frame rates, and 24pN/30pN modes. Other than that, the HPX2000 is pretty much better across the board.

Also, how do the CAC lenses compare to the more expensive non-CAC HD lenses?
    Haven't had a chance to compare across the board. But a better-engineered lens will beat a lesser-lens-with-digital-correction system, obviously. It really comes down to: how much do you have to spend in order to achieve that level of quality?

10. Collapse Details
    Senior Member NorthernFilmMaker's Avatar
    So, Barry when are you going to release your review on the HPX500? It would be nice to hear in detail what you really think about the Camera.... i'm sure i'm not the only one anxious to hear...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast