Thread: Hpx500 ???

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member NorthernFilmMaker's Avatar
    So, the HPX500 is basically a shoulder mount HVX200 with some cool upgrades.

- 3 X 2/3" 960X540 Chips = better low light by about 1 1/2 stops than the hvx

- Interchangable 2/3" lens

- 4 P2 slots for longer record times.

- not sure about details on the LCD but i think its the same as hvx, the EVF may be that same too?

- 4 channel audio

Did i miss anything?

I wonder, since the chips are pretty much the same between the two, the HPX will probably resolve the same TVl on charts as the HVX which is about 540 TVl...but i guess it would depend on the HD lens used!? but would this mean that the HPX500 will not be fully accepatable by Discovery HD as an unrestricted format? or would it depend on the lens? will one have to buy a 20,000 dollar lens to make programs for Discovery HD and the like?

2. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    What is the retail/street price expected for the HPX500? I understand the list is $14K per panny's website...
    Last edited by OldCorpse; 04-17-2007 at 02:03 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFilmMaker

- 3 X 2/3" 960X540 Chips
    Disappointed.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

4. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by ncje
    Disappointed.
    I agree. However, I'm thinking that this might be a big stumble by Panny if they keep to this price of 14K. Consider that you are really not getting that much more compared to the HVX200 which retails for under $6K - are you telling me the feature set of the HPX500 is worth more than twice as much as the HVX200? I don't think so!

The other thing to consider is what market segment is this targetted toward? Anyone who is in that market, would probably be just as well served by the HVX200. If you have 14K to throw at a camera, I'd say you are getting into the territory of Red, if Red stays under 20K. And who has 14K but not 20K? And who would therefore take the HPX500, if for a few K more, they get Red? Of course, Red is pricier simply because you need to accessorize it more, and though I have every faith in them, let's face it, they have no track record and no camera out as yet. Still, if Red pans out (sorry for the v. weak pun), then I really wonder about the HPX500 market wise.

The HPX500 to me is frankly a replacement for the HVX200 - and should not cost more. Obviously, with no competition at this time in this segment of the market, Panny gets to put out any prices they want, and more importantly, they don't have to replace the HVX200. Still, I think with Red on the horizon they could get killed on the HPX500. And killed by Canon (A1) for the replacement to the DVX100. That leaves the HVX200... for now. Sorry, but Panny marketing department does not impress me at this time: giving away the DVX100 market, and fumbling the HPX500.

5. Collapse Details
    Well Im not entirely sure about that. This is a pure shoulder mounted 2/3 inch cam, Id say the biggest target market is the eng, event, doco guy/girl, which really isnt the red crowd. It does have the cross over ability to narrative. It has a similar FEATURE set as the HVX but I dont think it should be confused.

With 4 16gb p2 cards included and 4 p2 slots for use, that tells me long shooting times. For my money the cam does seem worth it at this stage ranked amongst its peers with similar specs. Its just that those peers are now using 1080 chips and I need to look 3 years ahead.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

6. Collapse Details
    Agree with ncje, the HPX500 is one HECK of a deal! Just look at what the cam offers! It's much more of a "out-of-the-bag-ready-to-go-cam" than a Redone will be, and its cost is QUITE A BIT lower than Red. Like ncje said, it's for a different customer alltogether.
    B&H has packages with lenses that are really out of this world considering what was available just a few months ago really:
    B&H Link

Base cam is $12'500.00; with lens & 4 x 16GB P2 cards, $20'000.00
    Last edited by vidled; 04-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    I think it is worth more than the hvx200. It is the cheapest 2/3 chip camera and it does every hd broadcast format. This cam is for the TV folks, but still should seriously be considered for movie making.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse
    I agree. However, I'm thinking that this might be a big stumble by Panny if they keep to this price of 14K. Consider that you are really not getting that much more compared to the HVX200 which retails for under $6K - are you telling me the feature set of the HPX500 is worth more than twice as much as the HVX200? I don't think so!
    I have to agree that the price points per upgrades are high (if you don't already don't own a good lens.) I love the idea that Panny has finally gotten down to business on a lens switchable HVX but $14,000 for the cam ~ $4,000 for the P2 cards ~ $4 - 6,000 for a good lens = over $20,000. Before I throw down $20,000 on this cam ~ I'm going to seriously consider an additional $10,000 throw down for Red! As Wellington said at Waterloo, in for a penny ~ in for a pound!
    Sony EX3, Panasonic DVX 100, SG Blade, MacBookPro intel. iMac 27" 2013
    http://www.deanharringtonvisual.com

9. Collapse Details
    Can we compare the HPX500 to the SDX900 ? - which is still highly popular among the ENG folk. SD to SD should they not be the same? Same chip set and pixel count and all?
    The life clocks have no power on the outside.

10. Collapse Details
    Guys, like Vidled posted, the camera is NOT 14 000, but 12 500- B&H are normally very conservative in their pricing, and 12 500 should not be the best price for the camera. I bet Abel Cine or other DVXuser sponsors like Speccom can come up with even better deals... The only think making me think of other solution is the Mini-Red.
    SÚrgio Perez
    Macanese Director
    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast