Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Great infirmation, cant wait to put it to good use. thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Very well made tutorial, very clear. I don't yet have a 35mm attachment on my DVX but I relish the chance to learn the theory behind it. It's also very kind of you to let us have this video when it clearly must have taken a lot of time and effort to produce.
    Thank you,
    Philip

3. Collapse Details
    Snodart probably the best DOF tutorial put together, especially relating to the adapters and equipment we use and I am 100% sure people will use this as a valuable resource. This must have taken a lot of time and I seriously think that your effort to help others understand this is very genorous to say the least.

Then, my biggest issue. Whilst a "in your terms" a short DOF gives a filmic look, many people misuse its purpose. I also think iits very important that people realise the subjective use of say a 35 mm lense and 80mm lense and why one may choose to use both lenses (keeping the subjects at relative size) when shooting the same scene from different angles.

For example a two person shot, I might use a 35mm lense for one angle to one subject and then an 80mm to the subject on the reverse angle (both subjects would be the same size in the frame), the why of that is a very important decision to make when shooting.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

4. Collapse Details
    good tutorial man.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ncje
    Then, my biggest issue. Whilst a "in your terms" a short DOF gives a filmic look, many people misuse its purpose. I also think iits very important that people realise the subjective use of say a 35 mm lense and 80mm lense and why one may choose to use both lenses (keeping the subjects at relative size) when shooting the same scene from different angles.

For example a two person shot, I might use a 35mm lense for one angle to one subject and then an 80mm to the subject on the reverse angle (both subjects would be the same size in the frame), the why of that is a very important decision to make when shooting.
    ncje, I agree for sure. Some tend to think that 35mm adapters are used only to obtain a shallow DOF or a "film look". The fact is though that 35mm adapters allow filmmakers using prosumer DV cameras some of the same artistic options that a filmmaker shooting 35mm film has. In my mind it isn't so much about trying to get DV footage to look like film, but more about taking advantage of the ability to alter the DOF and FOV by using various lenses and settings. With the stock DVX I am limited to 4.5 to 45mm; with an adapter, I can use just about any lens I want. That is an advantage that makes me willing to put up with the various issues associated with using an adapter (light loss, inverted image, dust specs, grain, etc).

The fact that 35mm adapter footage resembles 35mm film more so than straight DV is nothing more than a side effect in my mind. 35mm film has a specific look compared to DV because of its versatility in terms of frame rate, DOF, FOV, etc. Gaining some of that versatility is the true purpose behind 35mm adapters.

Thanks again for the comments all.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing, man. Great stuff . . .

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
    AVID Symphony
    editing/grading
    - ADOBE suite
    For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

7. Collapse Details
    thankyou for the tutorial snodart

8. Collapse Details
    Haven't seen it yet, on a Mac (osx) it doesn't give you the option of "download file" when your right click. (or control click)
    I tried it both on Firefox and Safari. If you let it load all the way, and have Quicktime Pro, then you can "save as quicktime movie" or "save as source".
    RE1000.COM
    For quick answers try Search!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RE1000
    Haven't seen it yet, on a Mac (osx) it doesn't give you the option of "download file" when your right click. (or control click)
    I tried it both on Firefox and Safari. If you let it load all the way, and have Quicktime Pro, then you can "save as quicktime movie" or "save as source".
    Thanks for pointing this out RE1000. I just fixed the link... you should be able to save the full version now.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by snodart
    I made this for a DVD that never happened....
    What do you mean? I've been waiting for this thing since you first started talking about it.

I watched the clip...man that was great. I finally understand all the different components and how they interact with each other to create an image. There have been a lot of great explanations around this board, and I mostly understood it...but seeing the diagrams/images really seals the deal.

Thanks...and I hope you resurrect the DVD project someday ... it was going to show how to build your Snod35, wasn't it?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast