Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks a lot for your insight. I can't believe you just walked up and told them what you are doing. Great technique, I'm going to give that a try. I think it might be a little different response in Los Angeles, but I'll let you know how it goes.

2. Collapse Details
    Rowe Cine LLC
    haha. Believe me, I wouldnt have been nearly as forward had I not shot there a few times before and knew the drill, but I have to wish you the best of luck getting the same reults in L.A.

3. Collapse Details
    Insurance?! Permits? That's why I like having the kids along. Who's gonna shut down a "school video project"?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Rowe
    haha. Believe me, I wouldnt have been nearly as forward had I not shot there a few times before and knew the drill, but I have to wish you the best of luck getting the same reults in L.A.
    We'll see. By the way, I thought the Fallen was amazing. It was my favorite short in Dramafest.

5. Collapse Details
    insurance? permits? what?!?!?!?

if you have that kind of money, dump it into the production. nobody i know gets insurance or permits. you can still rent gear with a credit card deposit most places. indierentals hooks me up. i just rented an hvx package for 3 weeks from hd pioneers with no insurance.

as far as permits go i personally have never had any trouble. i have heard the stories people tell about confiscated gear, etc. but i have yet to see evidence to support it. for instance, 2 weeks ago we were shooting an ext. bar scene on the sidewalk from 8pm till 5am. it was right on melrose near vine, right in the middle of hollywood. we had lights, dolly, jib, 5 cast, 10 crew, and 10 background actors. we had a video cart, an audio cart, and a crafty table. it was a reasonably large set for a small indie project stealing shots on the street. we must have seen 20 cops pass throughout the night and never got so much as a glance.

keep in mind you can always get a film student to come p.a. for you for food and if someone does come around asking q's, just have him whip out his student card and tell them it's a student project........
    "There is no forest. There are no trees."

Cinematography Reel on Vimeo

www.fisherfilmworks.com

6. Collapse Details
    just have him whip out his student card and tell them it's a student project........
    That's what I'm doing to help secure locations for free and to rent equipment from the college I just graduated from. My friend who is the lead actress is co-producing it with me and she still goes to school there, so we're using the "it's her film" line for anything involving locations and equipment.

7. Collapse Details
    Rowe Cine LLC
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE BLO
    We'll see. By the way, I thought the Fallen was amazing. It was my favorite short in Dramafest.
    hey thanks. i thought there was a whole bunch of really great films this last time around, and i'm really anticipating viewing all of these soyfest shorts as well. uh ..and by soyfest.. i meant spyfest. ..one little typo and your sentence takes on a whole other meaning.

8. Collapse Details
    That's one of the reasons why I still have my college ID card... even though I graduated 7 years ago. It doesn't have a date on it. Student discounts at the movies and helps with fending off police when shooting my own. NEVER throw your student ID away.

9. Collapse Details
    Haha, the student thing works great. My friend and I did a shoot for an independent feature were working on at Santiago Canyon College in Tustin, CA last week and all we did was meet with the campus overseer (wasn't the dean, someone else), told him we were making a student film, and it was on. Totally legit, the security was even coming up asking us if we needed anything to ease the shoot.

All I did was type up an agreement basically stating that they would be free of liability over us and that we could use what weve recorded in our final product. Both parties signed, and all was gravy.

10. Collapse Details
    We just got our insurance and we also did all our apps for our permits. I think the insurance was just under $700 for a few weeks. The thing is, we thought about going gorilla, but we want to do to many FX shots and that makes it kind of hard when you are running from the man. We are still iffy on one local, but we applied for our back up location in the permits just in case. We already have verbal approval on that one so it makes for a nice back up. I have no problem going gorilla, but it is a nice feeling knowing that no one is going to give you grief about it when you go through the proper channels. Heck, we even reuqested a shot in City Hall, which the film comissioner said would be fine if we did it on a saturday. That's pretty cool... it is a neat location so it will add production value for sure.

My take is that if you don't do it the legal way, it may cause problems later if you want to show it and you need to produce releases and all of that.
    MARK T. ARO
    HYPERACTIVE STUDIOS - www.hyperactive-studios.com
    FILMOGRAPHY: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2750618/
    CURRENT PROJECT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1374994/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast