Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is everyone getting insurance for their shoot?
    I'm going back and forth on this. I've gotten estimates for unsurance for my two day shoot at $1,350 to $2,400. I know that you have to have insurance to rent equipment, and secure locations and permits. On this shoot, the DP owns all the equipment, the locations are owned by friends or family and the actors don't mind signing a waiver.

Is it crazy not to get insurance? How many of you are getting it? Is it just not possible to shoot something with a bunch of your friends and all it costs you is Pizza and Beer?

Please help me out. Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    We have a quote for 700 from filmemporium.com Check em out.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by msconce
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

4. Collapse Details
    __________FADE IN: I/E. NEW ORLEANS - CONTINUOUS
    I worked with them once, they seem pretty good.
    This time we worked with no insurance or permits and we were shut down by homeland security with 1 page left to film.
    CLICK BANNER TO GO TO FILM'S VIEWING PAGE WARNING:THIS FILM CONTAINS VERY STRONG LANGUAGE

____CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS FILM *06/04/07:NEW SCREEN GRAB

5. Collapse Details
    No insurance. No permits. No permission (the answer is always "no" anyway). Set-up fast, steal every shot, be ready to rewrite for another location. Those are my rules.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

6. Collapse Details
    We're trying to secure locations now, we'll see 'bout what insurance we'll need after the fact. Rez, wear your running shoes and eat Wheaties.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystoned
    we were shut down by homeland security with 1 page left to film.
    What happened?!

8. Collapse Details
    __________FADE IN: I/E. NEW ORLEANS - CONTINUOUS
    Haha, Check out my thread, (link in sig) I'll post an answer there for you so I don't gum this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE BLO
    ... I've gotten estimates for unsurance for my two day shoot at $1,350 to $2,400. I know that you have to have insurance to rent equipment, and secure locations and permits. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by msconce
    Actually - correct me if I am wrong but Msconce, but that $700 is for liability only, which is about what we were quoted for the standard week to ten day coverage $800. It does not cover rental or your own equipment or your friend's. It is only good to secure a location permit from a city / or if your dolly rolls out into the street and causes a motorcycle accident (happened to a friend of mine). Once you add protecting rental equipment to the basic liability it gets up to $1300 or $1500.

So if you NEED it for a city permit location then get it, but don't get it for another reason (unless of course you are worried about liability).
    CLICK BANNER TO GO TO FILM'S VIEWING PAGE WARNING:THIS FILM CONTAINS VERY STRONG LANGUAGE

____CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS FILM *06/04/07:NEW SCREEN GRAB

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystoned

Actually - correct me if I am wrong but Msconce, but that $700 is for liability only, which is about what we were quoted for the standard week to ten day coverage $800. It does not cover rental or your own equipment or your friend's. It is only good to secure a location permit from a city / or if your dolly rolls out into the street and causes a motorcycle accident (happened to a friend of mine). Once you add protecting rental equipment to the basic liability it gets up to $1300 or $1500.

So if you NEED it for a city permit location then get it, but don't get it for another reason (unless of course you are worried about liability).
    That's right. We are having to get the liability for the city.

10. Collapse Details
    Rowe Cine LLC
    alot of places do not require permits to shoot. My state for example, does not require permits unless you are on goverment property, such as a state park or city buildings. Even in light of this .. without any permit whatsoever ..in our last little short "the fallen" for one scene we shot in the state capitol building for a couple hours using 2 fully uniformed security officers, setting up lights ect, and all i had to do was clear it with the state capitol police. it went something like this..

-me -walking into police headquarters

"hi, were here for the film shoot today. I was unable to get ahold of your media coodinator mrs _____. I tried a few times but she must be out on vacation. (...yes, I actually did try) Heres what we'll be doing.. a few uniformed officers.. some dolly shots.. some lights set up in the halls, ..we'll have to move in some equipment and we'll be using building power, but we wont block public access."

-officer

"do they have any weapons?"

-me

"nope. ....definitely do not"

-officer

"ok."

-me

"thanks guys.. have a nice day"

..i think its the 3rdth or 4th time ive had, or chose to shoot there, and each time has been just as simple. and although we did not block public access, simply having one of the uniformed gaurds stand on either side of us as we set up and shot, ect.. kept the people at bay without any questions.
    But as for insurance, thats a whole other ball game. in that case you do what youve got to do, or feel you should do. Im all about shooting things legitimately when the reasoning is there, but there are also plenty of opportunities to simply shoot something over some food and drink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast