Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    $700.00 would make my no budget film very expensive I cant imagine spending that kind of money unless I thought I was going to make a profit doing it. I am still in amateur status and have not leveled up yet
    Michael Petro
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am not a serious filmmaker, I am however serious about making more fun movies.

2. Collapse Details
    I've never gotten insurance before for any film, and likely won't until I'm doing a feature & have the budget for it. Those policies would break the bank for my short films. Not having insurance carries risk, of course, and it can sometimes limit what you can do for getting a location (if the place requires it, obviously) and/or rentals ... but it's the risk I'm willing to take if I don't have the money available to pay for it.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

3. Collapse Details
    Neil,
    Thats great news about Wisconsin. Unfortunately in LA eveyone you ask for permission to film there knows that they can get money for it. so I dont' think that would fly. As how Cheezweel got away with it on a street with no permit, bogles the mind.
    What I've read on other posts is that you can get General Liability for your company and you can tell your regular insurance carrier that you have a videography (video /photo) business. and they can insure you for 1mil around 500-700 per year. Now the trick is if they let you name additional insured. and they let you change this. So if you are going to film at let say a private company, you can name them on the insurance for the duration of the shoot. then take them off. and so on.
    $500-700 per year is not bad. as opposed to $700-1000 per movie.
    I'll try to find out more.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtmo
    Insurance?! Permits? That's why I like having the kids along. Who's gonna shut down a "school video project"?
    I've thought about using "school project" as a thing also, but what would happen if they found out it wasn't a school project after your finished? Could you get in trouble for that or somethin?

5. Collapse Details
    We ended up skipping the insurance. Our Dp had einsurance for his equipment, so we didn't have to get it to rent stuff. Also, we got all the locations for free from friends.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
    Neil,
    Thats great news about Wisconsin. Unfortunately in LA eveyone you ask for permission to film there knows that they can get money for it. so I dont' think that would fly. As how Cheezweel got away with it on a street with no permit, bogles the mind.
    What I've read on other posts is that you can get General Liability for your company and you can tell your regular insurance carrier that you have a videography (video /photo) business. and they can insure you for 1mil around 500-700 per year. Now the trick is if they let you name additional insured. and they let you change this. So if you are going to film at let say a private company, you can name them on the insurance for the duration of the shoot. then take them off. and so on.
    $500-700 per year is not bad. as opposed to $700-1000 per movie.
    I'll try to find out more.
    Sounds ingenious. I think I've heard of this before. Now I'm shooting in a bar and the bar owner wants insurance just incase we damage stuff. So I have to get insurance and I've gotten a quote for $650 or so for damage to property and incidental medical.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123