Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    24p video can look indistinguishable from the same content originated on film. In skillful hands, optimizing the lighting to fit within video's capabilities (meaning we have an expert creating the footage), even a trained eye would not be able to tell which was from film and which was from video.

2. Collapse Details
    So many factors are all together that gives you the film experience. Stock, colors, dynamic range, saturation, cadence, resolution, grain particles, contrast, lenses.
    There is so much more in the story that distinguish film from video ( or in this thread separates the 1 chip HV20 with 24p from filmlook)

24p is just one of them, for USA (60hz/30) its a big step, for EU (50Hz/25) it closely matches it for a long time.

I can understand the growing believe 'this is like film' as most of the users here -almost all- never worked or produced on film (S16 or 35mm) to begin with.
    Look outside...Do you see noise?

3. Collapse Details
    I disagree with your signature xray:

Don't try to mimic a 'film look' by adding noise to videomaterial. If you want the look, use creative lighting and lenses.

Do you have a cinematic look confuesed with a film look?

I agree with the noise part though.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green
    24p video can look indistinguishable from the same content originated on film. In skillful hands, optimizing the lighting to fit within video's capabilities (meaning we have an expert creating the footage), even a trained eye would not be able to tell which was from film and which was from video.
    At last, the voice of reason

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AuditoryVisuals
    I disagree with your signature xray:

Don't try to mimic a 'film look' by adding noise to videomaterial. If you want the look, use creative lighting and lenses.

Do you have a cinematic look confuesed with a film look?

I agree with the noise part though.
    Its a free world AV, you can disagree with me, but the answer is no. Filmlook was and is a magic word for many people. And its a sig I use for some years and it started with the canon that had a filmlook button that gives noise artifacts to present the 'filmlook'. Know the classics.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by xray
    I can understand the growing believe 'this is like film' as most of the users here -almost all- never worked or produced on film (S16 or 35mm) to begin with.
    Whether that's true or not, it's rather egotistical and rude to say because you really don't know what the people here have done or haven't done.

For the record, I've shot plenty of 8mm, Super 8mm, 16mm, S16mm, 35mm, and Super35mm. I've got my own 16mm, S16, and 35mm cameras right now. I know film *very* well. And I'll say it again: in skilled trained hands, a 24p shooter can make footage that is absolutely indistinguishable from film that's been transferred to video, to the average viewer and to even a trained viewer.

And yes, 24p is the #1 most important revolution in video technology that has allowed that to happen.

And no, raw lousy poorly-shot 24p doesn't look anything like film. But lousy poorly-shot raw 16mm doesn't look anything like a "movie" either, if people are looking for the "movie look."

To dismiss 24p video as not being able to look like film is just plain incorrect.

7. Collapse Details
    I know you did. I also can freely say that most users don't. There is nothing rude on that, its a fact in the world today, a mostly video world. Don't you think? I am free to say so, others did that too, funny how you make it "egotistical and rude". I don't need to rephrase the points I made somewhere above, what more is needed to look like film, (latitude) but I can feel with you that:

' in skilled trained hands, a 24p shooter can make footage that is absolutely indistinguishable from film that's been transferred to video, to the average viewer and to even a trained viewer.'

Specially if the circumstance during the shoot (close up, underwatershots, etc) are not optimal, you can intercut film and video without knowing it. If the circumstances are optimal, light, skills, stock, film is much richer to look at. Saying that, I can almost always see if it is originated film or video 24P by looking at it in a long shot.

24p was and is no magic on itself, next year my cellphone shoots 24p and it is no film. Filmlook is more than 24p, but it brakes barriers and the 24p was a gift for the film community.

It's all things together and skills and professionalism that will make video look like film. You can make film look awful if you want too... Sure. You can do nice things on video in 25p, I am happy with it, but this all started with this 1 chip cam HV20was bringing film experience and that is not the case, so is 24p not film look.
    You need more to achieve that.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by disjecta
    At last, the voice of reason
    I second that.
    The grass is always "Barry Greener" on the other side

9. Collapse Details
    I'm thinking what is going on here is a matter of bad communication. Just like mixing video and film can be very hard, mixing different cultures and languages can be hard too. I believe that what ex-ray is trying to say is that 24p BY IT SELF is not film like.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green
    Whether that's true or not, it's rather egotistical and rude to say because you really don't know what the people here have done or haven't done.

For the record, I've shot plenty of 8mm, Super 8mm, 16mm, S16mm, 35mm, and Super35mm. I've got my own 16mm, S16, and 35mm cameras right now. I know film *very* well.
    I second you, Barry.
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast