Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Video Tutorial: Make FREE h.264 files that look great in Windows XP
    I just put together this new tutorial for encoding files into h.264 format, for FREE using MeGUI.

Click this for the tutorial
    There is a downloadable .mp4 sample through the link as well.

This will allow you to output 2pass VBR h.264 files into a universially compatible .mp4 format that is playable in quicktime player, HD-DVD, and anything else that will support h.264. You wont have washed out video like using the quicktime encoder, and it will look loads better at the same bitrates.

Best off, the results are pretty rockin. I have screenshots for compairison.

Late edit: This guide was written a year ago, and now the program has changed drastically. There are many options that aren't even in the same place. You can still try to dive into MeGUI, but its a program for advanced compressionists only. If you want something easier, try Ripbot264
    There's also a Guide somone wrote for it. Ripbot is excelent for creating small , very high-quality h.264 files for portibles and handhelds. These files play back on comptuers just as well too.
    Last edited by Demistate; 06-30-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Alexander Mejia, Creative Director at Human Interact

2. Collapse Details
    "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000135)"

this is the error code i receive when trying to install it..any idea why that happens and how i can work it out?

I already unzipped the files..yes.

3. Collapse Details
    The program requires Microsoft .net 2.0 to be installed first. Try getting it from here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en (32 bit windows only)

4. Collapse Details
    Alex, i just tried your method and all i can say is thankyou.

I've always had problems going out to quicktime in windows, glitchy pixels, desaturated colours, large file size etc. But i am very impressed with the results using meGUI.

I just tested it with 2 of my videos and there is no comparison. The meGUI version blows the quicktime pro encoded file out of the water. The edges are crisper, theres more detail, the motion seems smoother. And best of all the file size is smaller. I highly recomend you try this people!

It's gonna take ages to re-encode & re-upload my online portfolio, but who cares!!

1 thing that your tutorial doesn't mention though is that you need to have AVI synth 2.5 installed for the method to work. Get it here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=366702

One minor quibble is that comparing the result video file to the original footage in Premiere 2.0 it's still looking a little bit washed out, blacks are a bit lighter etc. Any way to sort this out do you think? apart from darkening/oversaturating the original footage?

I can post the comparisons if you want to see.

cheers.

james.h
    www.themotionfarm.co.uk | Vimeo |
    Sony A7Sii, Canon 5D3

5. Collapse Details
    I just visited your blog, i just saw your tutorial, and despite my respect for what you have done with the program (i hope it will work here once) i really liked your blog..!

Great man, this is the kind of independent Media i love, i just saw "Unnecessary Evil", its very well done (editing/camerawork) and a very good point of topic..!

Ill definitly watch the blog closer now, who knows, maybe i can support you with some report some day...All the best-ben!

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the hint alexander,

i just tryed to install it on my internet pc, so i itll probably work flawless on my editing Pc, which has the 2.0...!

also thanks to James, i will get avisynth too..!

Cant wait to try it, will post back!

7. Collapse Details
    I dont find the screenshots comparing MeGui with Quicktime very accurate because the quicktime in question used 1 pass CBR and MeGui used 2pass VBR. Is there any way to see the same scene in quicktime compressed with 2pass VBR?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sellington
    I dont find the screenshots comparing MeGui with Quicktime very accurate because the quicktime in question used 1 pass CBR and MeGui used 2pass VBR. Is there any way to see the same scene in quicktime compressed with 2pass VBR?
    Your guess is as good as mine. In my encodings out of P.pro 2.0 that was the best I could get QT to do with h.264. But why would you want to use it when all of your footage will get a gamma bump and look washed out anyway?

How do you do 2pass VBR h.264 with QT Pro?

9. Collapse Details
    In the export>settings box, click h.264 for the compression type and then under the Low-Med-High slider there is an option for single or multi pass encoding. That's all there is too it. I'm going to try your method later tonight.

I guess I have been lucky, but I never had any gamma problem or anything like that in QT h.264 exports and I am Windows exclusively.

10. Collapse Details
    Ok, i've been using this method of compression for a few days now and it looks great! However, i have come acoss one problem and that is if i have any titles made in Premiere in my exported timeline then my soundtrack goes out of sync with the video. Anybody care to shed light on why this is happening and how to fix it? I export from Premiere to DV AVI.

cheers.
    www.themotionfarm.co.uk | Vimeo |
    Sony A7Sii, Canon 5D3

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast