Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Moving grainyness....
    I've been using my A1 for nearly two years and haven't noticed this issue before. The noise seems to be far worse then acceptable, especially when it gets down converted to SD- virtually unusable.
    In this test, HDV straight out of FCP 24p timeline, you'll notice it easily in the fence boards- it just dances around. But it's everywhere else too. Does this seem normal to other A1 users out there? I think there's less noise from my 100b.....

http://www.vimeo.com/14015650

Settings are
    24F
    1/48 shutter
    f5.2 (meter shows perfect exposure)
    CP1 (SHPR -3, everything else factory)
    gain -3
    auto off
    auto white balance off
    5.6k WB
    Also the focus is a bit off but in the LCD it was perfect. Shot several tests with focuses with in inches of each other and they all look about the same..... Even tried auto focus and it came up with the same numbers....

Maybe it is normal and I've just lived with it but I can't imagine that's the case.

Feedback is appreciated

2. Collapse Details
    I just recently noticed the same thing with my a1. But I also just got a new Imac and what im reading is the monitor on theImacis progressive scan and a1 footage is interlaced so you need to deinterlace. watch the original footage on a tv I bet it still looks awesome..
    Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    I've been using my A1 for nearly two years and haven't noticed this issue before. The noise seems to be far worse then acceptable, especially when it gets down converted to SD- virtually unusable.
    In this test, HDV straight out of FCP 24p timeline, you'll notice it easily in the fence boards- it just dances around. But it's everywhere else too. Does this seem normal to other A1 users out there? I think there's less noise from my 100b.....

http://www.vimeo.com/14015650

Settings are
    24F
    1/48 shutter
    f5.2 (meter shows perfect exposure)
    CP1 (SHPR -3, everything else factory)
    gain -3
    auto off
    auto white balance off
    5.6k WB
    Also the focus is a bit off but in the LCD it was perfect. Shot several tests with focuses with in inches of each other and they all look about the same..... Even tried auto focus and it came up with the same numbers....

Maybe it is normal and I've just lived with it but I can't imagine that's the case.

Feedback is appreciated

3. Collapse Details
    I've read through this entire Thread up to this point & have taken note on all of these suggestions (thank goodness for this forum). I just realized tonight exactly how novice I am, after spending the last 6 hours reading hundreds of threads. I've been filming with my XHA1s for the last year using the Auto mode for everything except Focus. With that said, shame on me & I am now looking to configure my camera's Pre-Sets.

Soooo, here's what I'm up to... The majority of my filming is outside & completely un-controlled. The most important times are @ sunrise/sunset (we are filming hunts & those are the prime times for shot opportunities). Having said that, we are still filming hours after sunrise & before sunset, so my lighting conditions are changing dramatically from the time we initially set up to the time we leave the woods. Not to mention, I'm dealing with whatever conditions Mother Nature throws my way (overcast, sunny, snowing, raining) and multiple types of terrain. There is obviously no option for artificial lighting & keeping physical movement to a minimum is critical. I will need to be able to capture descent quality footage while maintaining the ability to zoom at those low-light times, as our target animal could be anywhere from 10yds or over 200. Lastly, I have only 1 opportunity @ the most important part: the Shot & the moments directly before/after it. This is likely to be the only time any fast motion will occur, but as I stated previously, it's the most important part & we generally slow the shot down in post-production. Because of that, we've been using 1080 60i & I'm still thinking that's the best option for me. I really need to be familiar with whatever settings I choose to use & what their capabilities/limitations are.

I understand that there will be no way to completely eliminate the grain all together, given those filming conditions, but I know now that I haven't even begun to get the level of footage that this camera is capable of producing! Since I only have 1 opportunity to create my footage, I really need to be familiar with whatever settings I choose to use & what their capabilities/limitations are, so ANY & ALL recommendations on pre-sets or filming techniques would extremely helpful to me!!

Thanks in advance,
    -RaDonda

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for these settings. I have been using this camera for over a year, but still have yet to mess with these presets until now. I appreciate your help!

5. Collapse Details
    me too
    Quote Originally Posted by Heloperator View Post
    Thanks for these settings. I have been using this camera for over a year, but still have yet to mess with these presets until now. I appreciate your help!
    +1

6. Collapse Details
    if your getting grainy footage , chances are you need more light.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456