Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DVCpro HD windows
    At work I use a mac, at home I force my PC to do what I want. I would like to easily transfer footage/projects (After Effects) to a firewire drive and work on them at home. The main problem I'm having now is that I can't find a DVCpro HD codec (decoder) for the PC. Actually I can't even get DVCpro 50 working.

I've looked at raylight, and DV Rack. I have them installed and running, but I still can't get After Effects to look twice at the footage. Currently I'm using .mov files because it's the easiest for the mac to work with. I've read as much as I can on the topic and they all pretty much say the same thing. Apple hasn't released a DVCpro 50 or 100 codec for windows. So that basically means I'm screwed right? Would it make any difference if the files were .avi instead?

I'm pretty sure that I could capture the files with raylight, DV rack, Premiere Pro (except they didn't write the program for my processor... odd), or Vegas, but what I NEED is to use already captured files.

If you have any other info/apps/suggestions/magical creme/or what have you, please respond to this post. It would be really helpful.

Thank you,

-Heroic

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    matrox dvcpro codec. but if youre running raylight, you should have no peoblem.
    Director of Photography
    www.timurcivan.com www.tstopcinema.com 917-589-4424
    Visit my blog: T.stops : <- click here
    "He who thinks interms of catching mice, will never catch Lions."

3. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    Do you have the Serious Magic/Adobe DVCProHD Decoder? That should work for you.

The DVCProHD Decoder does not get installed automatically with DV Rack 2.0 HD (which it is bundled with), and the downloadable trial of DV Rack 2.0 does not include DVCProHD support.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    DVCproHD decoder has LOTS of bug though. just beware.
    Director of Photography
    www.timurcivan.com www.tstopcinema.com 917-589-4424
    Visit my blog: T.stops : <- click here
    "He who thinks interms of catching mice, will never catch Lions."

5. Collapse Details
    I did install the demo version, but I haven't purchased it because I'm not sure it will work. Is there anyway to get that installed without paying for the application. I really don't want the application, I just want to be able to use the codecs on a Windows PC.

6. Collapse Details
    That won't help though, because Apple refuses to acknowledge the codecs. You can install a free DVCPRO-HD and free DVCPRO50 codec just by installing the P2 Viewer.

But Quicktime .MOVs still won't play, because Apple Quicktime won't connect to the free codecs (or any codec; you can install the free Avid Quicktime DVCPRO-HD codec too, but Apple's Quicktime player won't use it either).

7. Collapse Details
    Follow the instructions on the raylight site. Theres not much to get wrong!

1. run raylighcontrol and choose settings.
    2. run raymaker
    3. drag P2 folder onto raymaker like is says in big letters with a rainbow background.
    4.click start ... wait for it to finish.
    5. profit

If you use raylight to make a self contained avi you can move the file anywhere. If you don't make it self contained then moving it makes it break because it cant find the original mxf. files to reference.

Ive had no problems editing raylight avis with PP2 and After Effects. In fact I use AE and its nice batch renderer for all my file conversions.
    If I need to share the files with someone who doesnt have raylight i get them to install the demo codecs or I use AE to convert me a non raylight avi

8. Collapse Details
    As I understand it then, there is no way to open DVCProHD QT movies created or imported on a Mac in the windows environment?

But you can view the contents of a p2 card using the p2 viewer

Essentially correct?

Does Raylight or anything else work with the QT Player?

9. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    Edius will play and edit DVCProHD QT files that QuickTime Player itself refuses to play.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    As I understand it then, there is no way to open DVCProHD QT movies created or imported on a Mac in the windows environment?

But you can view the contents of a p2 card using the p2 viewer

Essentially correct?

Does Raylight or anything else work with the QT Player?

Conceivably a raylight quicktime extension could be written so the quicktime player would invoke raylight or even the Panasonic decoder to decode DVCPROHD. But I'm not sure what kind of market there would be for that. Apple might decide that wasn't funny and release their own.

The Apple DVCPROHD quicktime to Raylight AVI conversion in DVFilm Maker is fast, as fast as a file copy so that is a good alternative. It makes a self-contained AVI so it's portable to other computers and applications like After Effects.
    DVFilm Raylight Decoder http://dvfilm.com/raylight/decoder
    DVFilm Raylight Encoder Pro http://dvfilm.com/raylight/EncoderPro
    DVFilm Raylight X http://dvfilm.com/raylight/X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast