Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peabody
    Twenty-nine calls today.
    Congratulations. I think you're well on your way. Keep us updated when the business starts rolling in.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robstar1
    I don't know anything about "cold calling"; that sounds like something a door-to-door salesperson might do. I'm a professional business owner so I don't do cold calling; I do research, information gathering, qualifying, communications, follow up, consultations, site visits, sales, contracts/agreements, closing sales, preproduction, production, post production, customer service, follow up and business management. Lather, Rinse, Repeat...

I'm not being difficult about this but as long as you view this process as cold calling I can't help you.

Robert Starling
    I think it's just a matter of semantics. I just think of cold calling as calling on someone that you don't know or haven't been introduced to. Of course you have to do the research before you pick up the phone.

But since it's worked so well for you and Peabody, I think I'm just gonna stop asking questions and start making calls.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumfun
    I think it's just a matter of semantics. ... I think I'm just gonna stop asking questions and start making calls.
    Questions are good and I just wanted to emphasize my point about the mindset behind the call. "What you say is what you get" so if you call it cold calling which sounds and is a dreadful thing to have to do, you'll end up not getting the best response and results. So it's really not semantics, it's a state of mind about the whole approach.

Actually, you have a very nice web site with great color, energy and content. Unfortunately NO REAL CONTACT INFORMATION ??? If you're going to put yourself out there, people need something tangible other than an "info" email address, even a PO Box and phone that goes to voice mail would be a start. If you're a part of the business "neighborhood", your neighbors would likely want to know generally, what your names is, where you live/work and that you're going to be there for a while before they invite you over for dinner... right?

Start your call with a request for help. Use a somewhat confused tone of voice. People love to help people.

Here's a little dialogue:

When they answer we'll assume you don't get a first name, if you do all the better:

Very casual, very slow... remember you just interrupted them, talk at HALF SPEED to give them time to shift gears from the seven other things they are doing. Be soothing. Sales people talk too fast.

"hi there... I'm wondering if you might could help me figure out something there at Big Giant Mega Company?"

"well, I'll try..."

"I'm trying to figure out who handles the sales / marketing / training / commercials over there?" (pick one or two of those or whatever applies to you)

"That would be Nicole Spender"

They ocassionally don't know so you have to dumb it down to advertising or whatever.

"Wow, that's great... thank you very much... so i get it right, how do you spell her name"?

"Thank you so much, you're such a great help"

"What is your name?"

Very important here because this person may very well be the person who eventually get's you through to Nicole and who one day say's "I really like those people" when the bid is between you and another group.

"Hi David, nice to meet you, my name is Cameron, what do you do there at Big Giant Mega Company?"

Listen with interest and modest comments.

"I don't want to interrupt her now but when is the best time to call Nicole?"

** Try not to talk to Nicole yet.... you have more research to do **

Sometimes they just patch you right through which is a whole other dialogue we'll do later.

"Great, thanks I'll call back then"

You hope when you call back you get the same person because you now have a name and an ally.

If they offer you voicemail.... GO FOR IT !! And get the extension number for later. I love voicemail... more on that later too. Extension numbers are great to catch the people who come in early or stay late but usually won't have time to take your call during the day.

Initial voicemail dialogue:

"Hi Nicole, this is Cameron Takeurmoney and I'm trying to find out a little bit more about your marketing/training/advertising department at Big Giant Mega Company. I know you're busy so I'll just try to reach you tomorrow or the next day. Have a great day!"

There are dozens a variations of this call but as you can see you still are gathering information; they don't even know what you want or what you do. You're going to wait for them to ask you that. Right? But your name will start to sound familiar.

That didn't sound like a cold call to me; sounded pretty warm and friendly and it surely didn't sound like a sales pitch.

Write or reply to me after you've done 50 calls and we'll take a look at the variations. Don't worry if you blow some of the calls to start. Pick totally random companies to start on; you won't want to call your Target Clients until you've had some practice.

Robert Starling

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Robert,

Once again thanks for the advice. I've got a commitment for the next week or so, but after that I will definitely put together a list and make those calls. You just might not hear from me for a while.

The next time you're in Orlando, please give me a call. I'd like to at least buy you a beer in return for all the help you've given us.
    Last edited by Sumfun; 01-17-2007 at 02:31 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    hi guys,
    thanks for all the information. itīs going to work downhere in brazil too for sure, bougth my first hvx200 and want to start getting my own clients after ten years working for other people.
    good luck and hard work for all of us...

6. Collapse Details
    Great info, Robert. Thanks.

7. Collapse Details
    We just made our first investment on equipment today and we have our first client in 2 weeks. Very nerve wracking - we have to build up a solid client base very very fast so we'll definitely try some of those call questions.

8. Collapse Details
    This has been fascinating so far. I come to DVXuser for the tech stuff and to be inspired by other people's work but it's invariably topics like this that set these boards apart from the others I have tried.
    I don't think you should feel about a film. You should feel about a woman, not a movie. You can't kiss a movie.

Jean-Luc Godard

9. Collapse Details
    Robert,

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this. I've made pretty much all of the mistakes you've mentioned.

10. Collapse Details
    Rob...that call dialogue was great. Gives me a much better feel of what you're talking about. Keep it coming...I think we're all soaking this stuff up.
    Mike McNeese
    Director of Photography

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast