Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
  1. Collapse Details
    So glad this thread still gets visitors and provides benefit. For the most part it is timeless information and process! Im humbled and blown away that it still lives after my first post in Jan 2007!!!

My business continues to grow and evolve in many ways. We did a logo refresh this year and have a new website in the works. Facebook and Instagram are now a part of our networking and marketing as is Constant Contact and Twiiter. LinkedIn not so much for me.

My private one on one business consulting workshops now have a 4-6 month waiting list but I occasionally have a more immediate opening due to clients who book a big job and need to reschedule. It's the best two days you'll ever spend growing your business.

Thanks all! Please post your questions and successes!

Robert
    Robert Starling, SOC
    Steadicam Owner / Operator

Follow me on TWITTER!

International Cinematographers Guild
    Steadicam Operators Association
    Society of Camera Operators
    Steadicam Guild

2. Collapse Details
    Hi Rob and Everyone,

Thank you for all of the valuable information. I have read your posts and this thread from A-Z and am ready to begin embarking on the sales call journey. (I'll provide my info relavant to my situation at the bottom if you think this might helpful in answering the question... maybe not?)

I understand that you have to research and prospect before making the sale. My question is: Is it more beneficial/better use of time/more effective to do these initial sales visits over the phone (versus stopping by a business in person)?

I know that picking up the phone is faster than driving around town, but do you lose the opportunity to make that intiial impression and put a face to the name?

Thanks for all the help (and everyone else that has contributed),

Justin

Mini-Bio:
    I am a former ENG apprentice (from a major network news org. in Washington DC) who has relocated to Canada. The outfit I am working for has a 36 year history in the city (of 250,000) and its bread and butter has been school photography. I am taking my skills to grow the corporate client list. We do stills (and people hire us for professional headshots, and product photography) but I see a huge demand (and not a lot of competition in town) for video services. Video is my background and my interest), and I'd like to get away from the cookie cutter headshot routine. I've developed a branding strategy to differentiate our corporate identity from our school identity (since people in town know the company but don't know that we do more than school photography). We have several large corporations (some multinational) that we work with and I would like to get more in my rolodex.

My business partner who looks after schools, does the sales/PR/customer service is very good at his job, and for him, going into the schools and meeting with the administrators is his method of sales calls. He suggests I do the same, as this city is driven very much by personal connections. However, I do not think this is necessarily appropriate for approaching large corporate clients. My thoughts are the prospecting calls method, making appointments, etc. is more appropriate- at least until we are invited to make a pitch. This is where we disagree (he has more experience selling, but I have worked in the coporate world as well for several years and understand corporate "decorum" and chain of command).... Thoughts?

Oh and our website is horrible... I am working on redesigning that as well.

3. Collapse Details
    Anyone still alive?

10+ years, sheesh! I've read over this thread about 2 times and here again looking to put a more serious foot towards growing my client base. 2018, how the landscape has changed. I have a question for everyone still active. How much of your marketing effort is now phone call based vs social media driven?

4. Collapse Details
    All social media, email, or in person for me - I've yet to have a phone call land me a project.

5. Collapse Details
    My employment has been based on 0% social media, 0% marketing, 01% reach out.
    99% relationships and personal contacts... so far.

Don't get me wrong, I've tried social media, marketing, and reaching out. Just hasn't worked for me yet.
    Wish I had the answers.
    Bill Totolo
    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748