Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FIRST SCREEN GRABS!

Last edited by Alex Jeffery; 01-13-2007 at 05:55 PM.
    ALEXANDER JEFFERY
    Filmmaker. Actor. Dude.
    www.alexanderjeffery.com

2. Collapse Details
    About time, man. I've been wanting to see how this scene ended up looking.

I notice there is some grain evident. Was this for effect, image compression for posting, or is that what we're dealing with due to the shoot? The rain effect looks pretty good, though in the second frame, the cluster of falling rain at one point gives away the watercan Christian was using. I'd have to see the scene in motion in order to tell for sure. I have a feeling in motion it won't be an issue. The same goes for the grain. It may not be as evident then.

I do like how the lighting is pulled off for the first frame. Though Jarrod looks to be underexposed, I like the highlighting around his outline. It works. (There's a name for that, but it escapes me at the moment). I am assuming that the second frame has a "car passing by" so the headlight is the reason for that lighting. Again, I need to see this sucker in motion to fully comment on that.

And now that I think about it, I do think that some sort of small lighting set up could have been used to cast a little bit more light on Jarrod. I just don't know what, but I think if you had placed some weak light that could point up at his face to eradicate the grain and create some nice shadows, it could have worked out a little better. I'm thinking about how Collateral looked. Jarrod doesn't need to be bathed in light like in the second picture (sorry bud, I know that sounds good to you though) but just something to add some definition to his face would have helped.

On the plus side, you've established a great tone for the scene that looks like it should carry it and have us overlook any small mistakes. To me, it does look like Jarrod's in a moving car (maybe crush the blacks a tad to hide the hint of the stationary background). To quote the great Ed, "We're in the business to fool the audience", and I think with a little black crushing, you'll be getting away with it.

3. Collapse Details
    I actually saw the footage of this last night. I must say it turned out really well. The rain and light gags worked perfectly! Zach we actually did have a small light set up for lighting my face, we had a clip light type thing inside the car whiched helped a bunch. I'm excited to see how this whole thing turns out!

4. Collapse Details
    Good to hear, good to hear. I need to find Alex when he isn't occupied with something and see this footage, since I am intrigued. I also have a few other ideas in case another scene like this is shot in the future.

5. Collapse Details
    We had a light source on the glove box that kept Jarrod visible when there was no other light on him. I decided to not use the interior dome light or mirror lights for fairly obvious reasons.

To explain the shot in more detail... we used a gag behind Jarrod to achieve the look of passing cars by moving a light up and down the base of the window (i believe this is called hollywooding?) but only the bringing the bulb high enough to pour light on the back of our subject. It made for a beautiful backlight that was both effective and interesting to watch on the preview monitor.

Second we used a rather bright set of work lights (indie. i know right?) and pointed it in the opposite direction of the car towards the ground where Rob (the producer... heh heh) and I were holding a mirror to bounce the light over on the set. It was this light that we used to imitate passing headlights and primarily the street lights that Jarrod was passing by moving the mirror right to left, up, around, and then right to left again.

Ultimately it was just a collaborative process that was rewarding and effective. I had a great time and I think the quality of the final footage really paid everyone back for their large efforts. (Except for maybe a couple crew members... like the rain FX guy. -- it was FREEZING OUT!!)

-kyle
    video editor
    portland, or
    www.kylestebbins.com

6. Collapse Details
    Here are some new grabs from a flashback scene.

ALEXANDER JEFFERY
    Filmmaker. Actor. Dude.
    www.alexanderjeffery.com

7. Collapse Details
    I see KYLE IN THERE!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

8. Collapse Details
    Yay for cameos, camel toes, but not chameleons.

...because there's an H in chameleon....

Yeah? Yeah?
    Last edited by Alex Jeffery; 01-22-2007 at 12:14 AM.
    ALEXANDER JEFFERY
    Filmmaker. Actor. Dude.
    www.alexanderjeffery.com

9. Collapse Details
    Hey guys, looking and sounding great!

I can't wait to see your work!

Best of luck!

-Ted

10. Collapse Details
    I've said it once and I shall say it again.

Wicked!

PS..

WOOHOO I'm a member now!
    Last edited by Jarrod Homer; 01-22-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast