Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I don't think anyone can claim that a 35mm transfer of 4K footage will look better than a 4K projector showing 4K footage. I think almost everyone agrees that hi-res digital projection looks better than film projection of any source in almost every case.

In the next 3 years the market for transfer to film will diminish considerably, because most multiplexes will be making the switch to digital projectors. Beaming content directly to theaters via satellite, no print duplication costs, or lost or damaged prints. The studios and theater chains will save bundles in the long run, and all they have to do is replace a lamp every once in a while.

The future is almost here. And RED will be waiting...
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jrv3034
    Beaming content directly to theaters via satellite...
    Really ? I was thinking more a fiber optic channel CDN service.
    Last edited by Shiloh Arts; 12-29-2006 at 07:29 PM.
    Peter Olejnik
    Shiloh Arts Entertainment
    www.shiloharts.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jrv3034
    I don't think anyone can claim that a 35mm transfer of 4K footage will look better than a 4K projector showing 4K footage. I think almost everyone agrees that hi-res digital projection looks better than film projection of any source in almost every case.

In the next 3 years the market for transfer to film will diminish considerably, because most multiplexes will be making the switch to digital projectors. Beaming content directly to theaters via satellite, no print duplication costs, or lost or damaged prints. The studios and theater chains will save bundles in the long run, and all they have to do is replace a lamp every once in a while.

The future is almost here. And RED will be waiting...
    In the meantime (while we wait for the future to arrive) any large scale distribution will have to have both 4k and 35mm copies. While change is exciting, transitions can be difficult. It's gonna be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time before we have a majority of digital projectors worldwide.

I'm betting on 35mm distribution for quite some time still.

Cheers,
    Damien
    earthling productions
    filmmaking around the world since 1999

4. Collapse Details
    There's a theater here in Fort Worth that uses Christie 2k projectors for 90% of their screens. i don't know where you guys are living, but these new projectors are in Texas already.
    Pixels can kiss my a$$, and they can kiss RED's too.

RED: #813

5. Collapse Details
    I work for this company and i┤m in charge of the digital content that is shown thru this system. Its not intended for the main movie title, only for advertisment and possibly trailers. We hired i company from norway that does the installation in our cinemas and the projectors are from norway as well. If you have any more question please ask right here and i will try to answer them.
    Christian Berg, SF Bio
    www.sfmedia.se, www.sf.se

6. Collapse Details
    Those cineo3+ projectors are, if I'm not mistaken, rebranded or copackaged dVision 1080p projectors - which are still woefully under-powered for anything more than policy trailers and preshow ads.

In fact, I'd put a minimum of 5,000 ANSI (8-scale as typ.) on typically proportioned cinema screens to combat the high level of ambient light found under preshow conditions. The advertised contrast specification is impressive, but still not enough for "digital cinema" on an 8 meter screen.

e
    Erik Olson

7. Collapse Details
    To the Cineo3 projector there is a videoscaler that is really nice. The image coming out of these are just so nice. In a few theaters we have 2 projectors working together for brighter picture. But one projector works well on most of our screens.
    Christian

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Berg
    To the Cineo3 projector there is a videoscaler that is really nice. The image coming out of these are just so nice. In a few theaters we have 2 projectors working together for brighter picture. But one projector works well on most of our screens.
    Christian
    Do you have any connection with it?
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

9. Collapse Details
    Emanuel, what do you mean? I work at SF Bio, wich is the larges cinema company in Sweden. We are right now installing more than 400 digital projectors in sweden. We are only going to show advertisment and possibly trailers in the future. My work is to make shure the encoded material gets to the right screen. I also make local ads for smaller companys around sweden. We do all this in computers and we encode the films to HD mpg2 for distribution thru broadband. Hope that helps!
    /Christian

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks Christian for the feedback. BTW, do your company have any website? I had already read some news about your work [LINK]. Last year, I was attending the Lisbon Village Festival [LINK] where I participated in the negotiations between the RAI (italian state television) and Qube.

JFYI, here are some info about them -- hope it may help considering your core business:
    http://www.qube.in/news/system.htm
    http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=298
    http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=32452

E.
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast